Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do universities consider people, for example, from Spain,who's willing to study Spanish in UK uni? Is it normal?

ReputationRep:
    I think I had a native German speaker in my class at Nottingham, but they would probably ask the same question as everyone - why would you want to? Fair enough for the other modules which aren't language based, but for the language based modules, it's pretty pointless and ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Is Spanish your first language? I'm a bit confused. Were you born there/lived there for a bit? How long? How good is your Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    Is Spanish your first language? I'm a bit confused. Were you born there/lived there for a bit? How long? How good is your Spanish?
    I'm guessing since the thread's called mother language, she is fluent

ReputationRep:
    that's what I thought - but it can't be right. Why would you want pay university fees to learn how to speak your first language? Doesn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    naah I'm Russian from Estonia. it was just an example))

mm I thought about doing Spanish and Russian degree but, mm yeah, I guess it's pointless.

ReputationRep:
    If you already speak Russian, why not do Spanish with another language like French or German? Then you would have Russian, English, Spanish and another language which would be more beneficial than doing a degree in your own language perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    One language must be at Advanced level. So I wanted to learn Russian and Spanish, or Russian and History

ReputationRep:
    So you speak Russian and English fluently?
    Are you studying any other languages at the moment? If not, you could take a language single honours which doesn't require any previous knowledge - it's normally the more exotic languages like Arabic/Mandarin/Japanese. Maybe you'd like to do something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't want to do this kind of degree, but anyway thanks)

ReputationRep:
    I know Manchester has a module for native speakers in Russian, so that you could still improve it and you could also combine it with a wide range of languages from Arabic to Portuguese, so I guess it could interest you :yep:. But as said above, I'd rather go for two other languages. I chose Russian and Arabic, so that by the end of my degree I should be fluent in French, English, Russian, Arabic and can understand Italian pretty well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.