structuring a 20 marker for a level law OCR

Watch
Gracie Brown
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hey, i'm trying to write an essay for law at the moment, i have no clue how to structure it. does anyone have a structure that i can use for these 20 markers for any topic?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What do you need to do?
Harl1403
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Depends on the question. If it’s a question asking you to explain something like the defence of loss of control then follow this:

LOTS of AO1 which is explaining what the law is in minute detail, cases, Acts and sections remeber to include the dates with the acts. Explain how any relevant case law have impacted the area law in question or if the Act defines any “discrepancies” words that are just weird such as ‘grievous’.
For example if you were asked to explain the defence of loss of control (a very small explanation of one area of this answer - this would be a rather large essay)
R v Clinton states loss of control defence will not be allowed if the trigger is based from sexual infidelity as also stated in the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 s.55(6)(iii). So basically A01 is just relaying everything g you’ve learnt surround the law in question - the more cases the better as long as they’re relevant.

If you have been given a problem question that involves a ‘realistic’ scenario follow this:

Follow above for A01 explain absolutely everything
Once you’ve done this you need to do AO2 which is APPLYING the law to the problem you’ve been given rather than explaining it.

Again using the example above:
In this case, the defendant has used sexual infidelity as a trigger to the loss of control meaning under S.55(6)(iii) and the precedent set in R v Clinton the defendant would not be allowed the defence of loss of control.

Sorry if that’s weird to get it’s a bit of a complex answer. 20 markers are hard and they will make your wrist ache.

If you have an evaluation just make sure you include both advantages and disadvantage you can think of maybe 5 for each side and any relevant cases you can include will help.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any kore questions I’m happy to help. I’m in 2nd year of doing A level OCR Law
Last edited by Harl1403; 4 months ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Jot down pros and cons. Use the advice given above as fodder for your personal essay as well. Good luck!
Harl1403
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
“Pros and cons” are only to be done in an evaluation question as this is A03. Including pros and cons in an A01 (explaining a principle or an area of law) and or an A02 question (applying it to a scenario) in a 20 marker will be absolutely pointless and get you no marks because it’s quite simply nothing to do with what you’ve been asked to do - don’t waste your time
not being funny just pointing it out, don’t write more than you need to! Save pros and cons for evaluations only.
johnbooost
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What does A01-3 mean? :confused:
Last edited by johnbooost; 4 months ago
Harl1403
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by johnbooost)
What does A01-3 mean? :confused:
It’s Assessment Objectives (AO’s) in law for example there’s 3 objectives hence the meanings AO1, AO2 & AO3.

Assessment Objective 1 (AO1) is to EXPLAIN a given area of law in the question you have been given - to convey your understating. For example: explain the eggshells and skulls principal.

Assessment Objective 2 (AO2) is to APPLY a given area in a scenario you have been given. These are for problem questions that are like case studies for example, Emma saw her ex on a path, she ran up to her ex and screamed in his face. Her ex was startled by this and fell backwards into the road and hurt his knee
What is Emma criminally liable for? For this You will need to do AO1 work as well as AO2 (explain the crime Emma has committed - assault occasioning Actual Bodily Harm, then state the Act and section explain the actus reus, you will then need to specifically refer to Emma’s actions to convey she has achieved the actus reus of assault occasioning ABH - this is AO2 because you are APPLYING the law to the scenario not just explaining it.

AO3 is just evaluation, you may be asked to evaluate juries, judges, non fatal offences. You need to make sure if you’re asked to evaluate it then include both advantages and disadvantages and have it reasonably balanced. If it asks for advantages only do these do not include any disadvantages and vice versa.

So in short AO’s are assessment objectives - achieve these fully then you will get top marks however you need to come a custom to identifying which question is which - pretty easy AO1 alone questions are typically 10 marks but it can vary from each exam board.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (124)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (369)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (274)
10.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (353)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (115)
4.59%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (151)
6.03%
Loneliness (215)
8.58%
Financial worries (94)
3.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.23%
Exposure to negative news/social media (119)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (133)
5.31%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (218)
8.7%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (235)
9.38%

Watched Threads