The Student Room Group

exercise for beginer

i have never exercised before
how to exercise?
It depends on your goals. Do you want to become leaner, bulkier/muscles, general health, or build your body to aid in a sport?
It then depends on the time available, your dietary requirements, whether you want to workout at home or in gyms, any health issues you may have.

If you want to build muscle, 5 hours a day at the gym is overdoing it.
When exercising, you want to do the exercises properly and in the correct form - not doing so means you won't see the benefits and it can hurt you in the long run.
Exercise without proper dieting or eating properly (it's not about eating less) is ineffective.

There are many diets and exercise philosophies out there, and it can get confusing if you don't know what you want.
As with anything related to health, you might want to check with your doctor for any medical advice before proceeding with anything.
Original post by MindMax2000
It depends on your goals. Do you want to become leaner, bulkier/muscles, general health, or build your body to aid in a sport?
It then depends on the time available, your dietary requirements, whether you want to workout at home or in gyms, any health issues you may have.

If you want to build muscle, 5 hours a day at the gym is overdoing it.
When exercising, you want to do the exercises properly and in the correct form - not doing so means you won't see the benefits and it can hurt you in the long run.
Exercise without proper dieting or eating properly (it's not about eating less) is ineffective.

There are many diets and exercise philosophies out there, and it can get confusing if you don't know what you want.
As with anything related to health, you might want to check with your doctor for any medical advice before proceeding with anything.

i want to become less fat
Exercise DVD best for rainy day exercise sessions
Exercise bike is good for home based workouts
Exercise ball great for hard workouts too
Floor mat recommended for yoga etc
Dancing
Weights ideal for more challenging workout sessions
Resistance bands- optimal for less intensive workputs
Treadmill- cardio training
Toys as these are perfect for hand exercises
Buttons again only for hand and arm workouts
A wall what you need for whole body stretches
The couch for press-ups
A floor for squats etc
Hula hoop for freestyle exercise
Skipping rope this is the thing for open air workouts
Trampoline for summer days
OK, bluntly put.

You might want to focus on intermittent fasting with a balance of the macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbs) with a focus on less carbs. At present, a calorie deficit strategy seems to work well i.e. consume less calories than you would use (there are also food that consume more calories after eating them). You have to also be sure you have the right micronutrients as well (vitamins, minerals, etc.)

Weight training is a must, and cardio is not necessary. You want to focus on high rep ranges (e.g. 8-15) with lighter weights than your maximum. The main muscle groups you want to focus on are chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs, and only a bit of abs (contrary to popular belief ab workouts don't really help that much with slimmer waistlines). You should never skip leg day considering that's where most of the fat will be.

Your diet is more important than the training by the way. You might want to check with a doctor for dietary and health implications. For a professional program, I have a few recommendations if interested.
OK, bluntly put.

You might want to focus on intermittent fasting with a balance of the macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbs) with a focus on less carbs. At present, a calorie deficit strategy seems to work well i.e. consume less calories than you would use (there are also food that consume more calories after eating them). You have to also be sure you have the right micronutrients as well (vitamins, minerals, etc.)

Weight training is a must, and cardio is not necessary. You want to focus on high rep ranges (e.g. 8-15) with lighter weights than your maximum. The main muscle groups you want to focus on are chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs, and only a bit of abs (contrary to popular belief ab workouts don't really help that much with slimmer waistlines). You should never skip leg day considering that's where most of the fat will be.

Your diet is more important than the training by the way. You might want to check with a doctor for dietary and health implications. For a professional program, I have a few recommendations if interested.

Wait what. Why should they focus on high rep ranges and why should they not skip leg day because that's where most of the fat will be?
OK, bluntly put.

Not sure why this got upvotes. Why intermittent fasting? Why the whole thing about leg fat? Why only high reps? “At present” a calorie deficit works well?
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Wait what. Why should they focus on high rep ranges and why should they not skip leg day because that's where most of the fat will be?

Original post by Nutritionist
Not sure why this got upvotes. Why intermittent fasting? Why the whole thing about leg fat? Why only high reps? “At present” a calorie deficit works well?

I'm parroting what fitness authors and experts have said. I've never claimed to be a fitness or medical expert myself, just pointing out things that have worked for me.

Should you want the sources to verify, I can offer them.
I'm parroting what fitness authors and experts have said. I've never claimed to be a fitness or medical expert myself, just pointing out things that have worked for me.

Yes, scientific sources would be nice.

Yes please
Original post by Jamie Adrian
how to exercise?

There are so many different ways to exercise, so you just have to find something that you enjoy. Since you are a beginner, you should start with something easy, but it really depends on what your goals are. Are you overweight and looking to lose weight? Are you underweight and looking to bulk up? Do you want to workout in order to perform better at sports? These are all questions that you need to ask yourself before you just start doing random things. If you are looking to lose weight/get in shape, then I would recommend starting with a workout program that you can do on your TV like this: https://www.openfit.com/plans/600-seconds/

However, you could also be looking to put on muscle, and while that might seem like more fun (since you don't have to restrict your diet as much), it's extremely hard to do and you must be as consistent, if not more, than you need to be to burn fat. If this is the case, then you should try finding a personal trainer, or someone who has workout experience, to help build a plan for you. If this isn't possible though, don't worry, because all the information you need is out on the internet: https://www.openfit.com/tips-for-building-muscle

Getting in shape and being healthy is a journey, and that's how you should always look at it. You don't want to be focused on getting there as quickly as possible because you'll be cutting corners to do it. Just keep educating yourself and allowing yourself to adapt to that new information. Good luck!
Original post by Jamie Adrian
how to exercise?

You should make a plan for your goals. it depends on what you want to be a bodybuilder or a learner.
Everything depends on what you want to obtain. Just make a strategy in your head and follow it. Like this, you will know what to look for. You know I don't see any difference in exercises for the beginners or for those who are practicing it for a long period of time. The most important thing is here to do these exercises correctly. I can suggest you try yoga. I know that from the beginning it can sound strange but believe me yoga will help you to practice your body for the other kinds of sports. Please read this blog about the om symbol and its energy that you can get through yoga. I'm sure that it'll motivate you.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest