Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so i have an appointment with the orthodontist because i kept asking them to get me the appointment but they said my teeth are fine and “straight” but personally i know they’re not straight.

i am very insecure about my teeth and i always have been, i have really sharp fangs that stick out and whenever i eat i’m always biting my gum and it gives my ulcers - if i bring this up at the appointment will i have a chance at getting braces?

i would go private and get braces/invisalign but i can’t afford it.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To get free orthodontic treatment on the NHS, you need to meet certain criteria (besides the other regular indicators for free NHS treatment).

If you don’t meet those criteria, you can’t have braces on the NHS.
You could discuss your problem, but it may not necessarily be an ortho problem and so it could be solved another way.

Invisalign is typically more expensive than other types of braces, have you discussed all your options with your dentist?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
To get free orthodontic treatment on the NHS, you need to meet certain criteria (besides the other regular indicators for free NHS treatment).

If you don’t meet those criteria, you can’t have braces on the NHS.
You could discuss your problem, but it may not necessarily be an ortho problem and so it could be solved another way.

Invisalign is typically more expensive than other types of braces, have you discussed all your options with your dentist?
my dentist said that i don’t meet the criteria but they still referred me to the orthodontist because i insisted, my teeth are one of my biggest insecurities but they do also cause me pain because of how sharp my fangs are and that they stick out.

i have discussed Invisalign but that is way out of my price range - i simply can’t afford that.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
my dentist said that i don’t meet the criteria but they still referred me to the orthodontist because i insisted, my teeth are one of my biggest insecurities but they do also cause me pain because of how sharp my fangs are and that they stick out.

i have discussed Invisalign but that is way out of my price range - i simply can’t afford that.
It will be up to the discretion of the orthodontist then, whether to treat you under the NHS or not. As I said before, Invisalign is not the only method of private orthodontics- there are other methods which don’t cost as much (obviously still relatively expensive though).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.45%
I don't have everything I need (334)
43.55%

Watched Threads