thinking about dropping out of sixth form

Watch
jessxann
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
sixth form is really stressing me out and it's causing my mh to go downhill with the stress and uncertainty of the future - I'm seriously considering dropping out but I'm not sure of my options or how to go about it. I mentioned it to my head of year and he said that dropping out now would waste the last year and a bit but I think it might be better for my sanity if I just drop out. does anyone have any advice on dropping out or has been in a similar situation?
xmelanieee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm feeling quite similar, currently not going in sometimes for many reasons. Why do you want to drop out?
jessxann
Rep:
?
(Original post by xmelanieee)
I'm feeling quite similar, currently not going in sometimes for many reasons. Why do you want to drop out?
mainly because my parents don't agree with me to going to uni and my teachers are pushing me to apply and I'm a bit torn and it's been going on for a few months & with the deadline being so close too, it's all a bit overwhelming. I feel like proving my parents right and dropping out would be the best option since they didn't even want me to go to sixth form in the first place
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jessxann)
mainly because my parents don't agree with me to going to uni and my teachers are pushing me to apply and I'm a bit torn and it's been going on for a few months & with the deadline being so close too, it's all a bit overwhelming. I feel like proving my parents right and dropping out would be the best option since they didn't even want me to go to sixth form in the first place
What do you want to do instead of 6th form?
Look into that before dropping out.
You could look into an apprenticeship. Look for one in a career area that interests you. At least you will have a job at the end of it.
You would also look into college (e.g. btec or similar). But I'd you did that it would mean starting in September.
I know that 6th forms can pressure people into as applying to uni. They seem to be good at that and don't really educate people on the alternatives to uni.
xmelanieee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh no I'm really sorry about that, that must be so difficult! Question, what do YOU want to do?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Before you drop out research your options, typically apprenticeships and search for opportunities around you so that you can start applying and get an offer before dropping out.

It's absolutely fine to drop out, it doesn't mean you're a failure as much as how edgy teens here put a huge emphasis on grades and going to the best uni. As long as you have a plan and stick to it it'll be fine, and you'll pretty much outearn many graduates by the time they complete their uni studies.
jessxann
Rep:
?
thankyou all for the advice n questions n stuff, it really means a lot - I've decided I'm just gonna stay in sixth form, finish this year and put my application in (I think if I don't do it, I'll regret it and it currently is what I want to do) but at the same time look at the apprenticeships available x
xmelanieee
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thankyou all for the advice n questions n stuff, it really means a lot - I've decided I'm just gonna stay in sixth form, finish this year and put my application in (I think if I don't do it, I'll regret it and it currently is what I want to do) but at the same time look at the apprenticeships available x
Really wishing you all the best x
Mohamed Idris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck and all the best! just remember, as long as you choose things that make YOU happy you should be fine. Don't listen to schools and especially parents.. they're awful at decision making when it comes to school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (146)
62.13%
I don't have everything I need (89)
37.87%

Watched Threads