The Student Room Group

What do you think is wrong with the british education system?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
Based on statistics, they probably wouldn't do as well in terms of life outcomes as those who studied hard and went to university.

Most home educated students do well at university. Nevertheless, universities usually like well-rounded students who have a passion for their chosen subject. Thus work experience, or evidence of extensive studying, or a good portfolio may be of value. When a teenager is not in school, there is far more time for deeper study or relevant experience than is possible for students at school or sixth-form college.

Homeschooled students do just as well if not better compared with their peers at traditional schools. So I would say it's false to say they don't do well in terms of life outcomes and attending uni is not the be-all and end-all nothing wrong with vocational education and apprenticeships.
Original post by Mr T 999
If you reduce homework you would reduce some workload and have more time available. The other ways you can reduce workload, like: investing in technology that allows real-time feedback, using a mix of peer marking and self-assessment, whole class feedback, auto-graded online quizzes, reduce pointless data collection; Ofsted don't require the data to be presented in a particular format and do not encourage multiple attainment data collection points throughout the year, reduce over-planning and plan a sequence of lessons, reduce the need to complete lesson plans as a way of measuring performance and in a bid to achieve a higher Ofsted rating; Ofsted does not require daily or weekly lesson planning from a school for it to qualify as outstanding, despite common misconceptions...

Do you honestly support this crap education system? Do you not care students don't learn much in school? Don't you want reform?

I don't know when you were last in school, but we do all of what you mention. With the exception of auto-marked quizzes. They just don't work as the kids just guess and auto-marking can not distinguish simple spelling errors.

And yes - I do support our education system. If you are saying the system is no good, you are basically saying I am no good. I somewhat take umbridge to that. Yes, there are bad teachers. Yes there are people who fall through the holes. And yes, you could argue that the education system fails a third of students who do not meet the 5 GCSE threshold.

But at the same time, two thirds do very well. And lots of vulnerable children have somewhere they can go which is stable, predictable and feeds them a meal. It is a factory. It is one size fits all. It tries to meet the needs of ALL students but given the levels of funding there is simply no way we can deliver on the expectations of those like yourself.
Original post by Mr T 999
Most home educated students do well at university. Nevertheless, universities usually like well-rounded students who have a passion for their chosen subject. Thus work experience, or evidence of extensive studying, or a good portfolio may be of value. When a teenager is not in school, there is far more time for deeper study or relevant experience than is possible for students at school or sixth-form college.

Homeschooled students do just as well if not better compared with their peers at traditional schools. So I would say it's false to say they don't do well in terms of life outcomes and attending uni is not the be-all and end-all nothing wrong with vocational education and apprenticeships.

I was comparing students who are schooled with those who are not schooled. Not homeschooled.
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I realise i've been venting a lot on @Moonlight rain's blog about this so thought id make a thread on it

The way I just knew you made this thread smh
Original post by SuperiorPotato
The way I just knew you made this thread smh

its a pretty good thread so smh to you
its a pretty good thread so smh to you

Didn't say it was a bad thread dumbass 🥴
Classism. Period.

Well, and that it's very watered down if you're into culture and world history.

For a long time UK failed its generations until now by making A levels a CHOICE. That's just wrong. Failed so many people. Because it made gcses the standard and the end goal, knowing its not enough for uni.... but if people left school without GCSEs it wasn't seen as a big deal because it was culture now, there was just a lot of social elitist mocking about not having em. Now you need A levels I believe and I think that's good even if it's a nag to kids.

Gasp
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Gasp

You didn't see anything :auto:
Original post by ByEeek
Ahhh. Fair dos. I was comparing schooling to no schooling, not home schooled.

I see.
You didn't see anything :auto:

I never said you did say dat tho:colonhash:

Ayee thanks :colone:

But you implied it stupid :blah: Btw why is your blog so dead?

Ayee thanks :colone:

Are you guys dating?

Avvin a lover's tiff?
But you implied it stupid :blah: Btw why is your blog so dead?

Umm no I didnt also wdym we were chatting on it yesterday I think its just cause I havent made any blogposts
Are you guys dating?

Avvin a lover's tiff?

IHAFSFLSHDFIDOHLF Ew God no :puke:

He's more like my brother (sorry to crush your hopes and dreams Nikki :h:)
Classism. Period.

Well, and that it's very watered down if you're into culture and world history.

For a long time UK failed its generations until now by making A levels a CHOICE. That's just wrong. Failed so many people. Because it made gcses the standard and the end goal, knowing its not enough for uni.... but if people left school without GCSEs it wasn't seen as a big deal because it was culture now, there was just a lot of social elitist mocking about not having em. Now you need A levels I believe and I think that's good even if it's a nag to kids.

Not everyone is academic and linear A-levels are wholly unrealistic. If I was a practical person then I would be doing BTECs or T-levels but I hate practical stuff.
Are you guys dating?

Avvin a lover's tiff?

no thank you I dont need that in my life I have enough problems
Umm no I didnt also wdym we were chatting on it yesterday I think its just cause I havent made any blogposts

Yeah well it's D E A D might as well join me in hell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending