anonymoussss77
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
i’m currently in year 11 picking my a levels. i know that i want to take psychology and business a level. however i am stuck between french and biology as my third subject.
i’ve heard sooo many people say that biology is really hard as there is so much content to remember but i figured biology might help with psychology.
or i might take french because i think i’m quite good at it and i know universities like modern languages

basically should i pick french or biology? is biology really as difficult as people make it out to be?

also i’m thinking of taking either a business or psychology related degree at uni

Any suggestion would be appreciated!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
French
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anonymoussss77)
i’m currently in year 11 picking my a levels. i know that i want to take psychology and business a level. however i am stuck between french and biology as my third subject.
i’ve heard sooo many people say that biology is really hard as there is so much content to remember but i figured biology might help with psychology.
or i might take french because i think i’m quite good at it and i know universities like modern languages

basically should i pick french or biology? is biology really as difficult as people make it out to be?

also i’m thinking of taking either a business or psychology related degree at uni

Hi!

I took biology, psychology, geography, and law in my first year of college. I dropped biology a few months in. In my experience biology was too much content that wasn't relevant to my future career choice at the time. I found that only GSCE biology helped with A-Level psychology, so A-Level biology wouldn't be that helpful as it's more advanced.
If I was good at a language I definitely would take it for A-Level.
It honestly depends on what you want to gain from your A-Levels, what you enjoy, and if you know what you want to do career-wise.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
anonymoussss77
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I took biology, psychology, geography, and law in my first year of college. I dropped biology a few months in. In my experience biology was too much content that wasn't relevant to my future career choice at the time. I found that only GSCE biology helped with A-Level psychology, so A-Level biology wouldn't be that helpful as it's more advanced.
If I was good at a language I definitely would take it for A-Level.
It honestly depends on what you want to gain from your A-Levels, what you enjoy, and if you know what you want to do career-wise.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
thank you! this helps a lot
studentdoing
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I take A Level Biology and I do enjoy it, however there is a lot of content. If it’s the difficulty of Biology A Level that is putting you off, then I wouldn’t recommend taking French either.

On multiple websites I’ve seen that Language A Levels have been ranked as the most difficult. There will also be lots of content.

If you’re thinking of a Business degree, maybe see if there are any humanity subjects you like? I know that Bath Uni for example say they like a range of both essay-based subjects and sciences. Psychology and Business demonstrate this already, and to be fair Biology would demonstrate the scientific ability too. But maybe Economics or English Lit might be quite good facilitating subjects to think about (if you enjoy them!). Just an idea. This also applies to a Psychology degree at Bath too.

Anyways good luck, both French and Biology are good subjects but if you’re worried about difficulty, they are both notoriously hard! French could be useful if you’re thinking about International Business Management, for example, or doing placement years abroad.

What did you get in GCSE French and Biology, out of interest?
anonymoussss77
Rep:
?
(Original post by studentdoing)
I take A Level Biology and I do enjoy it, however there is a lot of content. If it’s the difficulty of Biology A Level that is putting you off, then I wouldn’t recommend taking French either.

On multiple websites I’ve seen that Language A Levels have been ranked as the most difficult. There will also be lots of content.

If you’re thinking of a Business degree, maybe see if there are any humanity subjects you like? I know that Bath Uni for example say they like a range of both essay-based subjects and sciences. Psychology and Business demonstrate this already, and to be fair Biology would demonstrate the scientific ability too. But maybe Economics or English Lit might be quite good facilitating subjects to think about (if you enjoy them!). Just an idea. This also applies to a Psychology degree at Bath too.

Anyways good luck, both French and Biology are good subjects but if you’re worried about difficulty, they are both notoriously hard! French could be useful if you’re thinking about International Business Management, for example, or doing placement years abroad.

What did you get in GCSE French and Biology, out of interest?
hi! thanks for the reply
I haven’t yet done my gcses but my current grade in french is a 7 and biology is an 8. I like them equally as much so it’s hard to choose between them.
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
French. Science is a load of useless tosh
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
French. Science is a load of useless tosh
Seriously? Science is the reason why we are able find cure for diseases, why your able to post a comment here right now, why religion is becoming less popular etc. The OP should just do subjects that they enjoy tbh and that seems to be Biology.
hootdoot04
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Seriously? Science is the reason why we are able find cure for diseases, why your able to post a comment here right now, why religion is becoming less popular etc. The OP should just do subjects that they enjoy tbh and that seems to be Biology.
Fair enough. My comment wasn’t to do with religion, I just find science absolutely boring
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
Fair enough. My comment wasn’t to do with religion, I just find science absolutely boring
Don't blame you.
hisokaaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anonymoussss77)

Hi I’m currently in year 13 with two As for bio and psychology. I don’t believe it is hard as people may say it is, at GCSE I did combined science with the grade of 66 so I’m not the smartest. I’d say doing biology and psychology really compliment each other so I’d encourage you to do it. I’d also encourage you to look at careers you may like to do and if you’d want to go to uni. If uni if something you’d like meeting the requirements are EXTREMELY important and people who meet the requirements are preferred over people who may just choose A levels that they enjoyed. So please choose carefully but remember you could also change your A level choices. Good luck to you!
brokestudent3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
french, if your degree doesn’t require you to have knowledge on biology then go with a language. they’re highly regarded on university applications and on CVs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.73%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.23%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (65)
42.48%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.96%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.84%

Watched Threads