The Student Room Group

How to cope with parents splitting up?

Its not easy of course and if anyone can maybe suggest anything to make them stay in the same in the same house that would be excellent. It would be a broken family, my parents live in separate houses and its embarassing. My family is going to be split up in 2. I just want things to stay as they are and I am worried they are not. Please help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
????????
Reply 3
Please reply guys this is hard I need support
Reply 4
No one on this site is going to be able to fix a broken marriage bro. Just let them get on with it, the last thing you need is it being drawn out.
what is it about your parents getting divorced that upsets you exactly? if you don’t mind me asking why are they getting divorced?
Reply 6
Original post by brokestudent3
what is it about your parents getting divorced that upsets you exactly? if you don’t mind me asking why are they getting divorced?

Just living in separate houses, its going to be a broken family and its not good. It means, no more family meals, no eating dinner together, no famliy holidays, we might just about get this Christmas together but this is the last one we spend together and we've had our my last birthday together.
Reply 7
Original post by Napp
No one on this site is going to be able to fix a broken marriage bro. Just let them get on with it, the last thing you need is it being drawn out.

They can help me though, suggest stuff, maybe people who have divorced parents might be able to share their experiences
Original post by Anonymous
Just living in separate houses, its going to be a broken family and its not good. It means, no more family meals, no eating dinner together, no famliy holidays, we might just about get this Christmas together but this is the last one we spend together and we've had our my last birthday together.

is it not already a broken family if you’re parents have reason to divorce? my parents divorced but tbf i wanted them to so i’m not sure if i can offer advice or relate to how you’re feeling :frown: you’ll still have family meals; they’ll still be your mum, your dad (or your mum and your mum/dad and dad), they just aren’t each other’s family anymore. they may always find their way back together but who knows? your feelings are entirely valid, i think in most circumstances kids want their parents to stay together. have ur parents tried relationship counselling?
Reply 9
is it not already a broken family if you’re parents have reason to divorce? my parents divorced but tbf i wanted them to so i’m not sure if i can offer advice or relate to how you’re feeling :frown: you’ll still have family meals; they’ll still be your mum, your dad (or your mum and your mum/dad and dad), they just aren’t each other’s family anymore. they may always find their way back together but who knows? your feelings are entirely valid, i think in most circumstances kids want their parents to stay together. have ur parents tried relationship counselling?

It is kind of but they live together now. I doubt it. I forgot to answer why they are splitting its basically bad arguments and yes I thought it would be fine if they get counselling to help them stay away from each other or maybe relationship counselling
It is kind of but they live together now. I doubt it. I forgot to answer why they are splitting its basically bad arguments and yes I thought it would be fine if they get counselling to help them stay away from each other or maybe relationship counselling

However they have made the decision to divorce so these are not options anymore unfortunately.
It will be hard but you’ll be okay.
How old are you?
Original post by GabiAbi84
However they have made the decision to divorce so these are not options anymore unfortunately.
It will be hard but you’ll be okay.
How old are you?

is it really the best thing for them to be together if they’re having bad arguments? one of my parents struggled with addiction which made them aggressive and led to fights, physical and verbal, and a lot of abuse when they were sober and drunk. you might feel it’s best for them to stay together but it could be causing you trauma which could affect you presently or years down the line and you may not even realise
is it really the best thing for them to be together if they’re having bad arguments? one of my parents struggled with addiction which made them aggressive and led to fights, physical and verbal, and a lot of abuse when they were sober and drunk. you might feel it’s best for them to stay together but it could be causing you trauma which could affect you presently or years down the line and you may not even realise

Like you said they could get counselling to stop the arguments and my parents aren't like yours were. I think it can cause trauma if they split up though because it might affect my education if I'm visiting 2 separate houses which I would be if it happened all the time that can be using valuable time up for studying
Like you said they could get counselling to stop the arguments and my parents aren't like yours were. I think it can cause trauma if they split up though because it might affect my education if I'm visiting 2 separate houses which I would be if it happened all the time that can be using valuable time up for studying

them separating will help your education if they’re having bad arguments because you won’t have the added stress of your parents issues. if they drive then going between the two won’t be an issue. also there are a lot of highly successful people who studied while having divorced parents! if you made your school aware of your situation you’d have a bit of support and leeway from them too
them separating will help your education if they’re having bad arguments because you won’t have the added stress of your parents issues. if they drive then going between the two won’t be an issue. also there are a lot of highly successful people who studied while having divorced parents! if you made your school aware of your situation you’d have a bit of support and leeway from them too

The arguments don't really affect my studies because I just shut the door
Its not easy of course and if anyone can maybe suggest anything to make them stay in the same in the same house that would be excellent. It would be a broken family, my parents live in separate houses and its embarassing. My family is going to be split up in 2. I just want things to stay as they are and I am worried they are not. Please help

Have you posted this before? You are asking for ways to cope but not actually taking anyone’s advice!
The arguments don't really affect my studies because I just shut the door

if yelling in ur house doesn’t affect it then how will going between two houses?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Have you posted this before? You are asking for ways to cope but not actually taking anyone’s advice!

Yup many times.

Okay, so you’re old enough to understand that constant arguments are not mentally helpful to anyone living in that environment.
They have made their decision.
Start thinking about how your life will change for the better now that you won’t have to live with that. Not saying it will be easy but at least you’re of an age that you should be able to understand why it’s for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest