Leaving the Armed Forces and applying to university.

Watch
RossHutch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello all,
I am currently serving in the RAF and have done so since I was 18. Unfortunately for a number of reasons I have decided this is no longer the career for me.
Fortunately I have decent A Level grades (3 B's) and have always had a passion for history, which the more I think about it is something I would like to pursue and potentially enter a career in teaching history.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience leaving the forces and coming back as a mature student. I'm currently 22 and will be 23 by the time I leave meaning I will ideally start my studies in 2022 at the age of 24. Ideally I'd like to stay in halls and go out on socials etc. Would I be considered an outcast in these scenarios being that bit older? If anyone has any advice on what it's like adapting and living etc. It would be much appreciated.
username5490332
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I haven’t personally been in that situation, but there are quite a few people of similar age starting university at the same time as you. Besides, age doesn’t particularly matter, I don’t see why you should be outcast because of it. Good luck and I wish you all the best
RossHutch
Rep:
?
(Original post by lilbabypenguin)
Hi! I haven’t personally been in that situation, but there are quite a few people of similar age starting university at the same time as you. Besides, age doesn’t particularly matter, I don’t see why you should be outcast because of it. Good luck and I wish you all the best
thank you very much for the reply, much appreciated
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RossHutch)
Hello all,
I am currently serving in the RAF and have done so since I was 18. Unfortunately for a number of reasons I have decided this is no longer the career for me.
Fortunately I have decent A Level grades (3 B's) and have always had a passion for history, which the more I think about it is something I would like to pursue and potentially enter a career in teaching history.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience leaving the forces and coming back as a mature student. I'm currently 22 and will be 23 by the time I leave meaning I will ideally start my studies in 2022 at the age of 24. Ideally I'd like to stay in halls and go out on socials etc. Would I be considered an outcast in these scenarios being that bit older? If anyone has any advice on what it's like adapting and living etc. It would be much appreciated.
I had a really good friend in halls who did about 10 years in the Merchant Marine before starting his undergrad (engineering) and things worked out well for him. He just mucked in with hall life and built a really good circle of friends and enjoyed himself. Yes you are a bit older and students might call you “dad” occasionally, ask for “grown up advice” and do the usual stupid 18 year old things that make you blink in surprise, but at the same time you will arrive with many more life skills and self confidence and that will help you fit in. You should be perfectly fine, give it a go.
RossHutch
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
I had a really good friend in halls who did about 10 years in the Merchant Marine before starting his undergrad (engineering) and things worked out well for him. He just mucked in with hall life and built a really good circle of friends and enjoyed himself. Yes you are a bit older and students might call you “dad” occasionally, ask for “grown up advice” and do the usual stupid 18 year old things that make you blink in surprise, but at the same time you will arrive with many more life skills and self confidence and that will help you fit in. You should be perfectly fine, give it a go.
hello mate, thanks for this, really appreciate it! Definitely further solidified in my own mind I'm making the right decision
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RossHutch)
Hello all,
Hi,

Don't worry about the age - there are many people starting uni the same age or older! At university, we don't realise whos older and whos not.
Many of my friends at uni are your age!!

Enjoy it!

Marlena - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads