I spend all day everyday on my phone

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a real problem which has spiked since lockdown, I spend all day everyday on my phone scrolling and binging YouTube in order to suppress my feelings of depression and anxiety, and as a surrogate to make up for my loneliness as I have no friends and no family unit. I just can’t escape this, I don’t know any other option right now that will help other than giving into excessive screen time. However it’s worsening my mental health and it’s keeping me in a state of psychomotor ******ation- where I’m just paralysed by my own mind, I’ve been stuck in my house for almost two weeks because I feel like I just can’t move. I’m not sure what action I can take.
Dee-Emma
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a real problem which has spiked since lockdown, I spend all day everyday on my phone scrolling and binging YouTube in order to suppress my feelings of depression and anxiety, and as a surrogate to make up for my loneliness as I have no friends and no family unit. I just can’t escape this, I don’t know any other option right now that will help other than giving into excessive screen time. However it’s worsening my mental health and it’s keeping me in a state of psychomotor ******ation- where I’m just paralysed by my own mind, I’ve been stuck in my house for almost two weeks because I feel like I just can’t move. I’m not sure what action I can take.
I have no direct advice for you, only you know your exact circumstances,but I can empathise. What you're expressing seems like an intense form of many people's experience right now. 90% of life has become screen based. Work, study, read, write, listen, watch, play all occurs on the same small screen. My own escape is walking, especially if there is a chance of real interaction with actual people - but just physical activity works for me. If you don't feel you have a way of bootstrapping yourself out of the situation then maybe it's time to call on support services. Student counselling, workplace counselling, GP and mental health services, helplines - whatever is available. You've recognised your situation and you're looking for a path out. You've made a start.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Find a hobby
Cherrygrape1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pathway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads