The Student Room Group

topics - a level 2021 exams

hey guys,

I currently do bio, chemistry and geography. I have read articles stating that we are going to be getting 'some' topics but then other articles say how we are going to get all of the topics. Which one is it?
Original post by Raja12
hey guys,

I currently do bio, chemistry and geography. I have read articles stating that we are going to be getting 'some' topics but then other articles say how we are going to get all of the topics. Which one is it?

I doubt they will give all the topics. At the moment, I would be revising EVERYTHING because you never know with the government! They can change their mind anytime.
Reply 2
I'm assuming that all topics are on the exam until exam boards specify in January. Whole topics won't be committed, we just know what will be on the exam. eg: Biology AQA has 8 units but in each of them, they are divided up into further sections so the Responding to Change (unit 6) topic has survival and response (receptors/IAA/taxis/kinesis), nervous coordination and homeostasis. But the exam might only ask about homeostasis so exam boards say that this section is in the exam.

But again, for subjects like sciences and maths it won't be a large benefit as the papers are far too synoptic.
Reply 3
Original post by 5hyl33n
I doubt they will give all the topics. At the moment, I would be revising EVERYTHING because you never know with the government! They can change their mind anytime.

oh right, im trying to go over all of year 12 content and aim to finish this by January, with year 13 content done aswell. Then, I will focus on practice questions and the specific topics that they say.
Reply 4
Original post by Sjabex
I'm assuming that all topics are on the exam until exam boards specify in January. Whole topics won't be committed, we just know what will be on the exam. eg: Biology AQA has 8 units but in each of them, they are divided up into further sections so the Responding to Change (unit 6) topic has survival and response (receptors/IAA/taxis/kinesis), nervous coordination and homeostasis. But the exam might only ask about homeostasis so exam boards say that this section is in the exam.

But again, for subjects like sciences and maths it won't be a large benefit as the papers are far too synoptic.

thanks for your reply. so your saying that they will give us topics such as homeostasis and communication, or neuronal communication. Also, don't you think its a benefit as we don't have to revise whole 2 years worth of content? It can be really hard to revise 2 years of content in my opinion so getting the topics that are coming up is actually a large benefit. also, with generous marking in biology and chemistry is a godsend... especially for biology
Reply 5
Original post by Raja12
thanks for your reply. so your saying that they will give us topics such as homeostasis and communication, or neuronal communication. Also, don't you think its a benefit as we don't have to revise whole 2 years worth of content? It can be really hard to revise 2 years of content in my opinion so getting the topics that are coming up is actually a large benefit. also, with generous marking in biology and chemistry is a godsend... especially for biology

Not those topics for definite, they were just examples, but they'll say which topics there are in January. Nothing has been said yet so I'd assume all content is still on the exam. It might be a benefit for some questions which are very specific but it's common for overlaps in content like enzymes which appear everywhere. There's also the 25 mark essay which basically requires you to know most of the content if you do AQA.

Similar with chemistry, paper 3 is a synoptic paper so any topic could come up. Chances are, any topic that doesn't come up in paper 1 or 2 will come up in paper 3. At the end of the day the exam boards are just as clueless as we are so I'd continue as you are now until more information has been released.
Reply 6
Original post by Sjabex
Not those topics for definite, they were just examples, but they'll say which topics there are in January. Nothing has been said yet so I'd assume all content is still on the exam. It might be a benefit for some questions which are very specific but it's common for overlaps in content like enzymes which appear everywhere. There's also the 25 mark essay which basically requires you to know most of the content if you do AQA.

Similar with chemistry, paper 3 is a synoptic paper so any topic could come up. Chances are, any topic that doesn't come up in paper 1 or 2 will come up in paper 3. At the end of the day the exam boards are just as clueless as we are so I'd continue as you are now until more information has been released.

Oh right thanks. And i do ocr for bio so no 25 marker for me lol. Also, gavin williamson or whoever the guy is, released a statement saying how they are giving us topics, generous marking and alternative papers (pupils who cant take exams).

Quick Reply

Latest