Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  Synergy's Attempt at Productivity.png
Views: 13
Size:  284.8 KB

What is this?
Oh wow another blog, I know, isn't the first one enough. (also always wanted to create a banner though this one is abysmally sized )

Basically, I decided I want to create a blog solely directed towards productivity and motivation.

I am not happy with how I have been spending my time, and so my biggest aim from this blog is being more self-disciplined and increasing efficiency/ productivity. Will be trying out different methods, posting updates to hold myself accountable, and maybe study plans.

I am a second-year law student, and while I do think I have lost hope for myself to achieve my initial ambitious academic goals (lol), I decided to shift the focus to, not to sound too cheesy, giving my degree my max 110%. So if you are looking for inspiration from a high-achiever/ someone who has their life together, this isn't the place unfortunately :^^)
I would much rather know I did not achieve what I wanted having tried my best, than just by slacking

The reason why it says "law-student-ish" blog is because I won't be dedicating this thread towards academics content-wise, but studying and organisation methods, and then my plans to securing vacation schemes or a TC. So half-half I would say between being law-focussed and just self-help focussed.

Quick Background information about me:
If you have seen me around the site, you have probably seen me mention this numerous times. I suffer from anxiety, and this has led me to at one point in time (first-year), quite literally, lose my ability to write. (I am not making this up) On top of that, just doing my assigned uni work was 10x harder than it would be otherwise for me.
So, dropping out was a very valid option set on the table, but I instead, fortunately, through lots of self-help and counselling, managed to get over the crippling anxiety and wrote my exams. I was pleased with my grades considering the circumstances I was in, but definitely not the sparkling grades I endeavour to aim for this year. Though I do need to be more organised and efficient for that (hence this blog )

Useful Links
https://www.njlifehacks.com/guilt-and-procrastination --> Very helpful article on procrastination. Highly recommend you give it a read if you suffer from chronic-procrastination tendencies.

Last edited by Synergy~; 1 month ago
Synergy~
Rep:
?
Blog Entry #1: Intensive Study Plan to Catch Up on Work (171 hours left)
Part I: Where am I, and where do I need to go next?
Okay, so full honest moment. I have barely done any work this year. Wow, what a bad start to a "study" blog. Let me explain:

So, the beginning of this academic year, I have been facing physical symptoms of anxiety, and unfortunately, that deterred me from wanting to persevere with my work.

While I could attribute the beginning stages to the accumulation of the snowball of regrets to anxiety, what's to follow is entirely my fault.

In essence, a cycle of regret and shame instigated chronic-procrastination and subsequent loss of hope.

Especially with formatives coming up soon, I seem to be paralysed feeling like since it is too late, why bother?

This is obviously very dangerous thinking. But, alas, this all-or-nothing type of perception did get to me and here I am experiencing the effects of it.

So, what do I find myself left with? (19 work cycles that need to be completed (yikesss I know))
This equates to 171 hours

See the thing is, it is not really 19 work cycles, but in actuality, I am just not happy with the lack of depth of notes, so I am going over many cycles, though I really do not *need* to.

So, 171-177 hours. I want to go over all that in 3 weeks, which means (roughly 8-9 hours of work per day)
To make a more ambitious goal, in 16 days that would be (10-11 hours)

So, I have established that I need to work 11-12 (added one for safety). Not too bad (:

Part II: The Plan *For the next 14-21 days
Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 3.06.47 am.png
Views: 9
Size:  97.2 KB
*Plan capture currently only shows 6-7 hours of work accounted for from intended 10-12

This is the temporary plan for these hours. I intend to wake up alternatingly between 8 and 9.
Meaning, I should sleep around 2-3.

Obviously, this plan is not maintainable, it is only for me to catch up on work.

Will work on the night plan after seeing my state after experimenting with this plan.
Synergy~
Rep:
?
If I only follow the above plan without a part II for the night, that would mean I would need 20-24 days to catch up. Which isn't horrendous, but I would not prefer that slow rate.

Full plan would mean only 14-21 days

Meaning no easy way out for me for the next few 2-3 weeks :afraid:
Masked Marauder
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
good luck, stick to your plan and it will be fine.
Synergy~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vardhan95)
good luck, stick to your plan and it will be fine.
Thank you Vardhan :""") I hope so
Synergy~
Rep:
?
Tip/ Comment: High volume of law readings and note-taking:

An issue I have with law is that the course load (meaning reading) is so intense volume-wise. I think this is where it gains its notorious reputation.

I experimented this new way to take notes, and I think it has helped me increase my reading/ note-taking speed. The only issue is now my notes are so long.

In essence, I open the digital book and read quickly and copy-paste important sentences onto another page/ reword them as I wish. What i did in the past was I summarised the reading on my own and designed my notes accordingly.

While I would imagine that my technique is better for revisions and absorbing information, it in no way has been helping me finish even half of the readings for workshops.

So, will continue with this new technique, and then maybe for revision shorten notes.

Examples of how notes look now (a bit too detailed, at least considering there are so many pages of this):

Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 2.58.59 am.png
Views: 8
Size:  276.4 KB
Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 2.59.18 am.png
Views: 8
Size:  336.3 KB
sunny.side.up
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did not know you're a law student, that's cool! I want to study law as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads