Uni house conflict, stuck in the middle - what to do next yr?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically, I moved into a house of 7 earlier this year for my second year, with my 6 closest uni friends (3 guys, 4 girls) and it has been going great, we hang out every single day and go out for drinks often as a group and I have found my time with them this year really enjoyable. We’ve even talked previously about looking for a house together for third year.

A few issues have come up over the last two weeks though and this has all changed. Two of the girls had a massive fall out and have both now said that they don’t want to live with eachother next year. The rest of my house also ***** about one of the guys who constantly leaves mess and dishes around the house for 6/7 days until they are removed.

This has led to two groups forming. two groups of three have formed and I am left stuck in the middle. This is probably because I do not like confrontation or engaging in *****iness but I also am really good friends with all of them and so the issue i am having is deciding what to do next? Should I talk with everyone to try and make amends in order to be able to live with everyone again? Or should I be picking sides and choosing one group to live with over the other? Right now I really have no preference but am feeling quiet anxious about the other half of my house disliking me if I choose to live with one half over the other etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically, I moved into a house of 7 earlier this year for my second year, with my 6 closest uni friends (3 guys, 4 girls) and it has been going great, we hang out every single day and go out for drinks often as a group and I have found my time with them this year really enjoyable. We’ve even talked previously about looking for a house together for third year.

A few issues have come up over the last two weeks though and this has all changed. Two of the girls had a massive fall out and have both now said that they don’t want to live with eachother next year. The rest of my house also ***** about one of the guys who constantly leaves mess and dishes around the house for 6/7 days until they are removed.

This has led to two groups forming. two groups of three have formed and I am left stuck in the middle. This is probably because I do not like confrontation or engaging in *****iness but I also am really good friends with all of them and so the issue i am having is deciding what to do next? Should I talk with everyone to try and make amends in order to be able to live with everyone again? Or should I be picking sides and choosing one group to live with over the other? Right now I really have no preference but am feeling quiet anxious about the other half of my house disliking me if I choose to live with one half over the other etc.

Sit them all down and sort it out, like adults.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago

Think about Christmas. Will there be a Christmas meal?
My view is if it kicked off in 2 weeks, then it can be sorted in a similar time.
Get the girls to enter a civil partnership and the boy to employ a butler/ au pair.

Girls can go to mediation and the guy can get his act together as its not on.
username5505790
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

JocastaD
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

(Original post by ghostgrace)

7 is too large. Mine was 5 including me and it wasn't easy due to my sudden handicapp but soon they adjusted to it. Change to a smaller group.
username5505790
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my uni house of 7 people is splitting into two groups of 3 for a third year house after a couple of minor altercations and i am stuck in the middle. I do not have any issues with any of my housemates and would happily live with them all again next year. There are obviously pros and cons to living with each of the groups and both groups seem that they would be upset if I chose to live with the other, this had left me in such a difficult position.

Should I try to mediate and bring the group together again, after all we’ve only lived together less than 3 months and the issues are relatively minor: cleanliness and a minor fall out between two housemates or should I accept it and try to decide between the two? Help???
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,

Talk it out like adults. Stuff always happens, I had a falling out with some housemates because of the mess they leave behind. However, you will be living there for the rest of the year - is this really worth it? Just talk it out... After Christmas break, everyone might be fine as you will have some time away at home. I think due to the current situation it is a bit harder - people need a break

Marlena - Official Student Rep
kwame88
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd pick a group out of the three.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (238)
56.8%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.2%

Watched Threads