sooroor2003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys so I'm doing my IRP and I'm basing it on Edith Piaf's character development in the film La Môme. I'm just really struggling on how to start it and structure it and what to include in it. Any words of advice will be super helpful. Thanks x
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sooroor2003)
Hey guys so I'm doing my IRP and I'm basing it on Edith Piaf's character development in the film La Môme. I'm just really struggling on how to start it and structure it and what to include in it. Any words of advice will be super helpful. Thanks x
A fairly classic way to introduce a topic of this kind is to say something like: "Everybody has heard of Édith Piaf and her extraordinary voice, her diminutive size and her magnificent live performances in front of huge audiences". You can then lead into the fact that a biographical film was made about her, giving dates, the name of the actress etc. That introduces the theme of your IRP. You then need to talk about what you are going to deal with in your essay, so you can say something like: "Her tremendous fame took its toll: the film examines various events in Piaf's childhood and adult life that formed her character".

That then sets the stage for you to discuss those childhood events - relationship with parents, such as it was; the prostitues who looked after her; her temporary blindness and her recovery; early performances with her father. The danger is that you re-tell the story, so for each of these events you need to be analytical and come to a conclusion about how her character was formed by these events (eg: she considered her recovery miraculous, and this gave her a firm religious faith which she held on to for the whole of her life).

Then pick out a number of adult events - the tragedy of her love life; her overwhelming success as a singer... and do the same. You will need to come to some sort of an explanation for her addictions. Of course these were not caused by a single event, but you should be looking at a build-up of events. Again, the risk is that you re-tell the story, so make sure that you are analytical.

Because you are discussing a film, you might discuss how the flash-back technique affects the impression the audience gets of her.

Hope this helps get you started! Bonne chance.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is a starter

Say something like most folks might have known about Edith P and her voice etc. That can form the basis of paragraph one. Then for the next part of your personal essay you can give more details on her and who looked after her etc. For paragraph number three focus in depth on various adult events involving her and briefly also describe why it matters as well for starters. Paragraph four needs to deal with her personal issues and the final paragraph can totally hone in on whether or not she was a good role model etc. Include your personal short opinion of her too for a balance. Provide enough details to support your evidence and arguments completely. In other simpler words do try to make sure that you can justify your opinions via some solid sensible reasons. Supply information as and when needed.
sooroor2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
A fairly classic way to introduce a topic of this kind is to say something like: "Everybody has heard of Édith Piaf and her extraordinary voice, her diminutive size and her magnificent live performances in front of huge audiences". You can then lead into the fact that a biographical film was made about her, giving dates, the name of the actress etc. That introduces the theme of your IRP. You then need to talk about what you are going to deal with in your essay, so you can say something like: "Her tremendous fame took its toll: the film examines various events in Piaf's childhood and adult life that formed her character".

That then sets the stage for you to discuss those childhood events - relationship with parents, such as it was; the prostitues who looked after her; her temporary blindness and her recovery; early performances with her father. The danger is that you re-tell the story, so for each of these events you need to be analytical and come to a conclusion about how her character was formed by these events (eg: she considered her recovery miraculous, and this gave her a firm religious faith which she held on to for the whole of her life).

Then pick out a number of adult events - the tragedy of her love life; her overwhelming success as a singer... and do the same. You will need to come to some sort of an explanation for her addictions. Of course these were not caused by a single event, but you should be looking at a build-up of events. Again, the risk is that you re-tell the story, so make sure that you are analytical.

Because you are discussing a film, you might discuss how the flash-back technique affects the impression the audience gets of her.

Hope this helps get you started! Bonne chance.
Hi oh mygod i just saw this! thank you so so much for your reply it really has helped me form a picture in my head and i've started writing it now. you gave me some super super important points that i hadnt thought of. its annoying because my french teacher isnt actually allowed to help us with this. but thank you so much honey youre a gem x
sooroor2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
This is a starter

Say something like most folks might have known about Edith P and her voice etc. That can form the basis of paragraph one. Then for the next part of your personal essay you can give more details on her and who looked after her etc. For paragraph number three focus in depth on various adult events involving her and briefly also describe why it matters as well for starters. Paragraph four needs to deal with her personal issues and the final paragraph can totally hone in on whether or not she was a good role model etc. Include your personal short opinion of her too for a balance. Provide enough details to support your evidence and arguments completely. In other simpler words do try to make sure that you can justify your opinions via some solid sensible reasons. Supply information as and when needed.
Hiii i just saw this. Thank you so so much for your reply, it has come in super handy for the structure. Have a fab day lovely x
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (132)
61.4%
I don't have everything I need (83)
38.6%

Watched Threads