Turn on thread page Beta

Autoregulation of blood - Nitric oxide supplements watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'll start of by how these 'supplements' work. Nitric oxide is a potent vasodilator and is a part of the endothelial relaxing factor released by blood vessel endothelium when there is an increase in blood pressure, or a decrease in blood volume.

It's a part of an intricate autoregulatory system in which capillaries are supplied a certain amount of blood depending on the metabolic function of the tissue in question.

Now, these supplements such as NO-Xplode, etc, purposefully release Nitric oxide into the blood stream causing an overall vasodilatory effect resulting in a 'pump' and engorged veins.

How and why do people take these supplements? Aren't they particularly dangerous?

ReputationRep:
    Well done, you can use big words, what do you want, a medal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usman938)
    Yes.

Did you actually read the post? D***.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    How and why do people take these supplements?
    As I understand it it increases peripheral blood flow, thereby increasing nutrient and waste product exchange. So in theory it could possibly help you train harder and possibly recover quicker, which could help you gain more muscle, quicker.

And there is no doubt a load of curl monkeys who take it purely for the cosmetic effect of looking more 'pumped'.

Aren't they particularly dangerous?
    Well as you know your body undergoes vasodilation as a result of exercise, routinely, anyway, for a healthy individual that in itself isn't dangerous, so I doubt for a healthy individual NO supplementation is drastically different.

Plus there are the homeostatic mechanisms to increase blood pressure should it drop too low as a result of excessive NO or otherwise. Provided the individual is healthy and isn't taking a ridiculously high dosage it should be without complication.

ReputationRep:

How and why do people take these supplements? Aren't they particularly dangerous?
    To get a better pump apparently, i've been told you can actually see a size difference in the pump.
    Also to gain muscle quicker also..
    Why do people take steroids? Same reason obviously.. I'm sure nitric oxide supplements are way safer than steroids.

why do people take these supplements?
    Marketing/shiny packaging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usman938)
    Well done, you can be dismissive and rude, as well as thick and ignorant, without reading the question the OP has asked. If the OP had just posted "Why do people take NO?" I wouldn't know what the hell he was on about in terms of supplemental benefits. The introduction serves as a guide for those who don't know what these supplements exactly do, myself included. But I do now.

What do you want, cheap giggles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    Marketing/shiny packaging

This.

Also, people buy supplements because they think it makes it easier, and they will breeze through their workouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Well done, you can be dismissive and rude, as well as thick and ignorant, without reading the question the OP has asked. If the OP had just posted "Why do people take NO?" I wouldn't know what the hell he was on about in terms of supplemental benefits. The introduction serves as a guide for those who don't know what these supplements exactly do, myself included. But I do now.

What do you want, cheap giggles?
    It's my right to be a rude obnoxious ruffian whose online input is both tasteless and annoying, what are you going to do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Nitric Oxide is used in the vasodilation process that contributes to errections - so make sure you wear tight underwear and loose shorts

On a more serious note, if you're worried about harmful effects go see a pharmacist who can advise you on how to take them and what you should not be taking at the same time as them. All drugs (not meant in the recreational way!) have the potential to be harmful if you use them incorrectly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.