Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi! I'm an A-Level Psychology student predicted A* and near the end of my course. I'm hoping to go to Oxford to do Experimental Psychology and have my interview on the w/b 14th December.

So, ask me anything about Psych A-Level, Psych Degrees, topics you struggle with, Psych jobs, etc! I hope i can help someone and if I cant someone else here can
Last edited by Ukiyomo; 6 months ago
RainyMeow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Can you help me to understand strengths and weaknesses in the humanistic theory please?
anon033
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by RainyMeow)
Can you help me to understand strengths and weaknesses in the humanistic theory please?
I know I'm not the OP, but I literally just did an assessment on approaches last week. I do AQA so don't know if that changes anything and I'm year 13.

Here's the condensed version of my notes:
+ Real life applications in the form of therapy. CCT is supportive of individuals with problems and treats them with respect. Seen as a non directive form of therapy. This can be used to help people in their lives, offering a safe space for them to grow as people.

+ Acknowledges that individuals have free will and the ability to improve themselves, via focussing on developing solutions to the patient’s current problems. This is in stark contrast with Freud’s psychotherapies, which tend to dwell upon childhood experiences and so may be frustrating for the patient who has identified the cause of their problems.

+ Holistic Approach. Focussing on the individual’s subjective experiences as a whole as a method of investigating behaviour. Contrasts the cognitive approach (which sees the brain’s functions as analogous to a computer), the biological approach (which sees humans purely as biological organisms made up of physiological processes) and behaviourism (where all behaviour is seen as the product of past reinforcement contingencies).

- Rejects scientific methodology like experiments and typically uses qualitative research methods e.g. diaries, open ended questionnaires, unstructured interviews and observations. These methods are useful for study at an individual level but not for general populations of larger amounts of people. The way to understand other people is to sit and talk, share experiences and be open to their feelings. (could be argued as a strength or weakness depending on how you look at it)

- Seen as culturally biased as it is based on assumptions linked to the west/individualistic society. Many ideas linked with humanistic psych like individual freedom, autonomy and personal growth are more readily associated with the western cultures like the US. Collectivist cultures may not easily identify with the ideals of this approach. It’s a product of the cultural context it was developed in.

I tried to edit out my acronyms so it would make sense to you. If any of these confuse you, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain them better, this is just what makes sense to me. Hope this helped!
RainyMeow
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anon033)
I know I'm not the OP, but I literally just did an assessment on approaches last week. I do AQA so don't know if that changes anything and I'm year 13.

Here's the condensed version of my notes:
+ Real life applications in the form of therapy. CCT is supportive of individuals with problems and treats them with respect. Seen as a non directive form of therapy. This can be used to help people in their lives, offering a safe space for them to grow as people.

+ Acknowledges that individuals have free will and the ability to improve themselves, via focussing on developing solutions to the patient’s current problems. This is in stark contrast with Freud’s psychotherapies, which tend to dwell upon childhood experiences and so may be frustrating for the patient who has identified the cause of their problems.

+ Holistic Approach. Focussing on the individual’s subjective experiences as a whole as a method of investigating behaviour. Contrasts the cognitive approach (which sees the brain’s functions as analogous to a computer), the biological approach (which sees humans purely as biological organisms made up of physiological processes) and behaviourism (where all behaviour is seen as the product of past reinforcement contingencies).

- Rejects scientific methodology like experiments and typically uses qualitative research methods e.g. diaries, open ended questionnaires, unstructured interviews and observations. These methods are useful for study at an individual level but not for general populations of larger amounts of people. The way to understand other people is to sit and talk, share experiences and be open to their feelings. (could be argued as a strength or weakness depending on how you look at it)

- Seen as culturally biased as it is based on assumptions linked to the west/individualistic society. Many ideas linked with humanistic psych like individual freedom, autonomy and personal growth are more readily associated with the western cultures like the US. Collectivist cultures may not easily identify with the ideals of this approach. It’s a product of the cultural context it was developed in.

I tried to edit out my acronyms so it would make sense to you. If any of these confuse you, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain them better, this is just what makes sense to me. Hope this helped!
Thankyou so much for replying! This does help, I’m going to do some reading tonight around these points.
anon033
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thankyou so much for replying! This does help, I’m going to do some reading tonight around these points.
No problem and good luck!

If you're doing more reading around it, I'd try 'simply psychology' or 'tutor 2 u' as they have more detail and revision videos as well as notes too. There's a downloadable PDF on there and quizzes to test yourself too.
Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I agree with all these points and I probably wouldn't have said anything differently! The only thing I would add to the free will point is that the theory tends to resonate with how people feel about themselves and their lives which gives it some type of validity, even if it is not strictly scientific.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.29%
England (145)
35.02%
Belgium (32)
7.73%
Germany (41)
9.9%
Spain (10)
2.42%