Ukiyomo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I'm an A-Level Psychology student predicted A* and near the end of my course. I'm hoping to go to Oxford to do Experimental Psychology and have my interview on the w/b 14th December.

So, ask me anything about Psych A-Level, Psych Degrees, topics you struggle with, Psych jobs, etc! I hope i can help someone and if I cant someone else here can
Last edited by Ukiyomo; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why does blue make some people sad?
Ukiyomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Why does blue make some people sad?
Colour theory has always really fascinated me especially since I take art as well so thanks for asking! The truth is we know way more about the effect colours have on us than why they have these effects but my best guesses from what I've seen and heard would be that it is either something biological about how we process the colour or its due to cultural/societal connotations that get built up. I think its a mix of both as things impacting our behaviour usually is a mix of our biology and environment. If you're interested in this I'd suggest you research into Whorf's linguistic determinism hypothesis and how this relates to colour, it kinda suggests that colours will actually impact us differently based on the language we know/what we call the colours. I'm sorry I couldn't give you an exact answer but I hope you found some of this interesting!
Dombb1st
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ukiyomo)
Hi! I'm an A-Level Psychology student predicted A* and near the end of my course. I'm hoping to go to Oxford to do Experimental Psychology and have my interview on the w/b 14th December.

So, ask me anything about Psych A-Level, Psych Degrees, topics you struggle with, Psych jobs, etc! I hope i can help someone and if I cant someone else here can
Hi, thanks for doing this, and good luck with your interview!
Really would help to know how to answer / structure for 8 and 16 mark questions. And how to structure the individual paragraphs (PEE?)
struggling to find resources on how much A01 , A02 and/or A03 is needed. Thank you!
Also this might seem silly, but what does A02 actually consist of?
Ukiyomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dombb1st)
Hi, thanks for doing this, and good luck with your interview!
Really would help to know how to answer / structure for 8 and 16 mark questions. And how to structure the individual paragraphs (PEE?)
struggling to find resources on how much A01 , A02 and/or A03 is needed. Thank you!
Also this might seem silly, but what does A02 actually consist of?
Thank you so much and great question! So I am 100% sure that the marks are divided into 6 marks for A01, 4 marks for A02 and 6 marks for A03 in a 16 mark question, I think that the 8 markers tend to vary on the question but I could be wrong - to play it safe I would do 4 A01 and 4 A03 unless there's a scenario to refer to because that's A02.
For a 16 marker it's important that you make sure you don't waste time by just listing everything you know about the topic because that can only get you a maximum of 6 marks for A01, to get higher marks you need to be evaluating (A02 & 3) and you need to be sign posting when you do that so that means making sure you include words/phrases like "this supports/is supported by", "this challenges/is challenged by", "in contrast to this", "to strengthen this idea" etc so that the examiner knows you're moving onto evaluation. In 8 markers it's similar but obviously less of it.
I know lots of people who struggle with A02 so that is definitely not silly to ask! There are two types of A02, referring to the STEM or referring to real world examples/economic implications etc. So for the first type, if you are given a scenario or example, there are marks available for simply relevantly quoting it so all you need to do is explain a concept or some findings and then say "as shown in the example as Person A has [insert issue]", you can literally just pull the direct quotes. The other one is slightly harder but basically you're going to want to think about how this can impact people's day to day lives individually or how it can impact whole countries/societies. If you do any subjects like Economics, Geography, Politics or maybe History. pulling on knowledge from these may help you. If we take treatments for depression as an example, a great and well developed A02 point would be that drug therapies often take less time than CBT and other options, therefore allowing the person to go back to work and make more money quicker which have positive impacts on the national economy.
Finally, for the overall structure it also depends on the question. Sometimes if the topic has one main focus (eg. either of the memory models) I find it easier to do one big paragraph describing it (A01) and then another one or two evaluating to get the A02 & 3. However, the other way to do it is a more PEE paragraph style which tends to work for questions involving a broad topic (eg. ways of studying the brain or plasticity and functional recovery). So I got 8/8 on a question recently that was something like "Describe and evaluate 1 or more ways of studying the brain." and for this I outlined post mortems in detail (so about 3 points to confidently secure 2 marks) and then gave a strength and a limitation and then did another paragraph where I outlined fMRIs and did the same. But that really depends on your preference. As long as you have the knowledge for A01 and the evaluation for the other two in an order that makes sense to read then the structure can be whatever you feel most comfortable with.
I'm sorry that was so long, I tend to ramble, but I hope it helped and if you have any follow up questions I'd be happy to answer!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads