JEllingham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi to all who read and give advice i really appreciate it

I have always known were I want to go in my life and what career I wanted to go into since I was 14 and that was a career in midwifery but I did not get the right GCSEs to study midwifery at Uni and I took this really badly and thought well that's it I have lost my only chance to be a midwife and so ended up starting a different course at uni that I was not really passionate about and it was only when In September when I had an honest discussion with my PAT that he said that if I'm really passionate about midwifery then I can still pursue that career he said after I have completed this degree I can do midwifery as a second degree as midwifery is an exception course so can be done as a second degree and you will still get full funding , I checked this with Student finance who said that this is correct. my PAT also said I can retake math and English GCSE , I contacted a few unis to ask about this and they all have told me that my PAT is correct that I can study midwifery as a second degree if I pass my current degree and improve my math and English and get some experience this has relit my dream to be a midwife and I have been doing further research and have a few questions that I'm hoping current midwifes can help with.

I have read a lot about how midwifery is oversubscribed and that there are not enough jobs and that there are more newly qualified midwifes than jobs and so many end up unemployed. I want to ask if this is true are there not enough job for newly qualified midwifes?

since a lot midwifery services are more and more in the community is it essential that you drive as a midwife? I don't drive yet but once qualified as a midwife I would be looking to get my licence and get a car just wanted to ask if its essential to have a car as a community midwife?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice
Last edited by JEllingham; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes usually but not always.
JEllingham
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Yes usually but not always.
Which question are saying yes too?

Are you saying yes theres not a lot of jobs for graduates and some will be unemployed

Or are you saying yes its essential to have a car as a midwife?

Are you a midwife?
Last edited by JEllingham; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both really
JEllingham
Rep:
?
Both really
Are you a midwife or midwifery student?
So graduates find it hard to get jobs?
My sister is a HCA and she said midwifes are in demand but ive read different things

Why do midwifes have to have a car?
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It makes it easier personally and no. And yeah if they lack interest. If I was a midwife I would find it easier to have my own stocked up car so that I can keep some useful things like a pen, notes, plastic folders, a first aid kit and several other essential things such as a disposable camera, a full box of tissues, and a few healthy snacks for me and my client when travelling to my jobs. Also bottles of water, distracting books or toys for any other child present and the keys to my house. Protein bars and energy drinks are also a good idea. I would also have a memory stick in the dashboard compartment and a plain notebook for record keeping.
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It makes it easier personally and no. And yeah if they lack interest. If I was a midwife I would find it easier to have my own stocked up car so that I can keep some useful things like a pen, notes, plastic folders, a first aid kit and several other essential things such as a disposable camera, a full box of tissues, and a few healthy snacks for me and my client when travelling to my jobs. Also bottles of water, distracting books or toys for any other child present and the keys to my house. Protein bars and energy drinks are also a good idea. I would also have a memory stick in the dashboard compartment and a plain notebook for record keeping.
Why on earth would you need a disposable camera???

Tracey_W can you give OP any advice from the qualified midwife point of view?
Tracey_W
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Why on earth would you need a disposable camera???

Tracey_W can you give OP any advice from the qualified midwife point of view?
Emily_B

Hi Emily,
I sent a PM message to the OP in question, and if they want to ask more then they welcome that way.
Yeah who want a disposable camera and for what. Not heard any nurses or midwifes needing that. X
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (297)
55.93%
I don't have everything I need (234)
44.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed