I need help urgently on this matter! Regarding university

Watch
Nattomon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is it difficult for students to get into university and have a scholarship if they do A-levels for 3 years?
AWard99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nattomon)
Is it difficult for students to get into university and have a scholarship if they do A-levels for 3 years?
What do you mean? Are you saying that you have studied A-Levels for three years (i.e. you've retaken a year)? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, most universities--with the exception of Oxbridge--won't mind. Providing you meet the entry requirement grades you'll be fine.

As far as scholarships, this will vary depending on the university you apply to. You'll also find that a lot of the scholarships are "means tested", that is, they will give preference to those students who are most "financially strapped", according to their parent's/guardian's finances. So, in essence, it's worth looking at the criteria for each scholarship individually and deciding if you're eligible.

Which universities are you thinking of applying to?
Nattomon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AWard99)
What do you mean? Are you saying that you have studied A-Levels for three years (i.e. you've retaken a year)? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, most universities--with the exception of Oxbridge--won't mind. Providing you meet the entry requirement grades you'll be fine.

As far as scholarships, this will vary depending on the university you apply to. You'll also find that a lot of the scholarships are "means tested", that is, they will give preference to those students who are most "financially strapped", according to their parent's/guardian's finances. So, in essence, it's worth looking at the criteria for each scholarship individually and deciding if you're eligible.

Which universities are you thinking of applying to?
I haven't retaken a year, I had to take a year gap because of issues caused by COVID-19.

I am thinking of trying to get into NYU, Harvard or MIT.
Last edited by Nattomon; 1 month ago
SparkleFace
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe Harvard etc are to do with parents salary. Look it up.
AWard99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nattomon)
I haven't retaken a year, I had to take a year gap because of issues caused by COVID-19.

I am thinking of trying to get into NYU, Harvard or MIT.
Oh fair enough, that makes a lot more sense. You'll have no issue with having taken a gap year, especially considering the unprecedented nature of COVID.

Don't forget that you will likely have to study for the SAT exams. Admissions to US universities is assessed through a standardized examination system; this is the case at both undergraduate and graduate level. I've studied in the UK for both my undergrad and postgrad, so I've managed to avoid these exams. Nonetheless, I was--and still am--considering further graduate study in the US, and so, I know a little more than most about the admissions process. My advice would be to give a lot of attention to these standardized exams: they'll be much easier than your A-levels, but they're based on a different syllabus, which means there might be certain topics that you are unfamiliar with, or, alternatively, there will be topics you have learnt at A-level, but that are framed differently in the questions.
(Original post by SparkleFace)
I believe Harvard etc are to do with parents salary. Look it up.
This is correct. Harvard has a very generous scholarship scheme, which is entirely based on your parents salary. I cannot tell you the exact details as I didn't study there, although I've got a few friends who did, and they received substantial amounts of financial support. Harvard's website has all the details you need to know. NYU also has a generous scholarship scheme, although I am less sure about MIT. You might also want to think about Yale--their funding options are quite alike to those found at Harvard.
Last edited by AWard99; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads