GreatMan678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am looking to apply for computer science at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Imperial, UCL (not sure about the 5th one). My GCSE grades are all between grades 9-7. This is supposed to be my gap year, but I will have sit exams in the summer in IB Math, Chem, and French due to the poor grades due to the pandemic. However, I have been predicted 7s in Maths and Chem and a 6 in French (I took mock exams this month) and have also sat SAT subject tests in Math and Physics (receiving 780 and 720 respectively). I have checked US requirements for both St Andrews and Edinburgh, and they require a score of 700 in Maths and Physics, so I should be fine here. My concern is, will my application be uncompetitive. I have tried all I can to compensate during this pandemic, even undertaking further courses in computer science and machine learning on Edx/Coursera. However, I am still not quite sure about my application. An important thing to note is that I am thinking of using my EU passport for the Scottish universities since it would be cheaper for me. I do have a UK passport, too but would applying there as an EU applicant hinder my chances?

Sorry for the long post, but I just reassurances.
14bowieh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should check the rules on dual-passport holding applications- I imagine they are very strict.

I do not know enough about the IB and SAT examination systems to be able to say much about that (hopefully someone else can chime in on the actual grades).

However, if the grades/predicted grades you can present to those universities surpass their requirements, and you have an excellent Personal Statement, your application will absolutely be competitive.
GreatMan678
Rep:
?
(Original post by 14bowieh)
I think you should check the rules on dual-passport holding applications- I imagine they are very strict.

I do not know enough about the IB and SAT examination systems to be able to say much about that (hopefully someone else can chime in on the actual grades).

However, if the grades/predicted grades you can present to those universities surpass their requirements, and you have an excellent Personal Statement, your application will absolutely be competitive.
Thanks for the response!
So would you say that even with me taking exams in the summer due to Covid, that should not put me at a disadvantage?
14bowieh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GreatMan678)
Thanks for the response!
So would you say that even with me taking exams in the summer due to Covid, that should not put me at a disadvantage?
That's an interesting question. My instinct -so this is not gospel- is that if one/multiple of those subjects come up as part of the grades they do ask for (Hypothetical situation- If I use GCSE terms, you were applying for medieval history and they asked for a 7 at GCSE in history as well as AAA at A-level) then perhaps you would be put at a disadvantage, as I know oxbridge and many of the other top universities around that mark have a '... at the first attempt' clause in the small print, regarding required grades. If you could provide reasonable extenuating circumstances for why you did poorly, then perhaps not though.

However, if it (/they aren't any) isn't one of the grades they ask specifically for, and you achieve and surpass all the requirements set, then I think you will still have a good as shot as the rest of the applicants (if not slightly better, given all the super-curricular bits n bobs you've done)!
GreatMan678
Rep:
?
(Original post by 14bowieh)
That's an interesting question. My instinct -so this is not gospel- is that if one/multiple of those subjects come up as part of the grades they do ask for (Hypothetical situation- If I use GCSE terms, you were applying for medieval history and they asked for a 7 at GCSE in history as well as AAA at A-level) then perhaps you would be put at a disadvantage, as I know oxbridge and many of the other top universities around that mark have a '... at the first attempt' clause in the small print, regarding required grades. If you could provide reasonable extenuating circumstances for why you did poorly, then perhaps not though.

However, if it (/they aren't any) isn't one of the grades they ask specifically for, and you achieve and surpass all the requirements set, then I think you will still have a good as shot as the rest of the applicants (if not slightly better, given all the super-curricular bits n bobs you've done)!
Hi, thanks for the reply. All my GCSE grades were done at the first attempt and technically, sitting exams in the summer for the IB would be my first attempt as well since last year's exam session was canceled. The reason I did poorly was not because of my exam performance, but it is indicated because the IB gave me those grades.
shhhania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I am looking to apply for computer science at Edinburgh, St Andrews, Imperial, UCL (not sure about the 5th one). My GCSE grades are all between grades 9-7. This is supposed to be my gap year, but I will have sit exams in the summer in IB Math, Chem, and French due to the poor grades due to the pandemic. However, I have been predicted 7s in Maths and Chem and a 6 in French (I took mock exams this month) and have also sat SAT subject tests in Math and Physics (receiving 780 and 720 respectively). I have checked US requirements for both St Andrews and Edinburgh, and they require a score of 700 in Maths and Physics, so I should be fine here. My concern is, will my application be uncompetitive. I have tried all I can to compensate during this pandemic, even undertaking further courses in computer science and machine learning on Edx/Coursera. However, I am still not quite sure about my application. An important thing to note is that I am thinking of using my EU passport for the Scottish universities since it would be cheaper for me. I do have a UK passport, too but would applying there as an EU applicant hinder my chances?

Sorry for the long post, but I just reassurances.
Hey this is a little late now but I wanted to share my experience! I received an offer in November for international relations and it was the lowest they give ABB (I applied to Cambridge so did an early application but was told it’s unheard of to hear back so soon)
I really want to reassure you that GCSEs aren’t the be all and end all they care about a levels/ your statement the most
my GCSEs weren’t the best: 8,8,8,7,6,5,5:4,3 and a distinction
my a level predictions are A*, A*, A and A in my EPQ
( I have had extenuating circumstances that were probably taken in to condition too but honestly do not worry) I hope this acts as a reassurance any questions let me know!
GreatMan678
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by shhhania)
Hey this is a little late now but I wanted to share my experience! I received an offer in November for international relations and it was the lowest they give ABB (I applied to Cambridge so did an early application but was told it’s unheard of to hear back so soon)
I really want to reassure you that GCSEs aren’t the be all and end all they care about a levels/ your statement the most
my GCSEs weren’t the best: 8,8,8,7,6,5,5:4,3 and a distinction
my a level predictions are A*, A*, A and A in my EPQ
( I have had extenuating circumstances that were probably taken in to condition too but honestly do not worry) I hope this acts as a reassurance any questions let me know!
Hi thanks for the response!

I have applied now with 41 IB points and honestly, my agitation will be reduced once I get an offer from any of the universities. I'm just worried about the current pandemic and having an offer secure would calm me down a bit. I also am a "widening access student" so if I was to get an offer, it would be for 32 I think for (Edinburgh) and 36 for St Andrews
shhhania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi thanks for the response!

I have applied now with 41 IB points and honestly, my agitation will be reduced once I get an offer from any of the universities. I'm just worried about the current pandemic and having an offer secure would calm me down a bit. I also am a "widening access student" so if I was to get an offer, it would be for 32 I think for (Edinburgh) and 36 for St Andrews
Best of luck! If it helps I ended up getting the same offer from Edinburgh (ABB) so St. Andrews might go even lower
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (51)
17.83%
No one else does (89)
31.12%
I'm embarrassed about my background (31)
10.84%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (96)
33.57%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.1%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.1%

Watched Threads