Has anyone tried uplearn for A level Chem?

Watch
alg.xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi. Has anyone used Uplearn for a level AQA chem? Is it good and worth it? Did it guarantee you the A/A*? Thank you
Last edited by alg.xx; 9 months ago
abbiefowkes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by alg.xx)
Hi. Has anyone used Uplearn for a level AQA chem? Is it good and worth it? Did it guarantee you the A/A*? Thank you
I haven't but I would recommend tailored tutors, it has got me my first A in chem
laura ferrao
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm not taking chem so I haven't tried that course. I am using it for Edexcel Maths A level and it has really helped me understand the topics better so I probably would reccommend it
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by laura ferrao)
I'm not taking chem so I haven't tried that course. I am using it for Edexcel Maths A level and it has really helped me understand the topics better so I probably would reccommend it
Thanks for your reply. Do you know anyone who’s taken it for chem?
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by abbiefowkes)
I haven't but I would recommend tailored tutors, it has got me my first A in chem
Did you do anything else or JUST use tailored tutors?
Uplearnisitworth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
how is uplearn for maths? is it all you use?

and have you done any exam papers if so what did you get?
thx
abbiefowkes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did you do anything else or JUST use tailored tutors?
Hi, I normally do exam questions as well. Tailored tutors have anything you need, they provide all the exam questions for all the topics and have videos explaining how to do them as well as videos explaining the mark schemes. They have videos for every topic for your exam board as well and provide summary note templates (so you don't write everything like i tend to do haha), it's really helped me because I think I learn best this way. Hope that helped a bit more!
laura ferrao
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks for your reply. Do you know anyone who’s taken it for chem?
Not really but there is a free trial so maybe try that. I think it's a 3 day trial but if you need longer I'm sure your parents could email the team (that's what my parents did).
I think the Uplearn team would be able to find some reviews for the course actually (of course they'll be biased). It's worth chatting to them anyway- they are very helpful
Last edited by laura ferrao; 9 months ago
laura ferrao
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Uplearnisitworth)
how is uplearn for maths? is it all you use?

and have you done any exam papers if so what did you get?
thx
Uplearn is actually really helpful. They explain the context of the Maths topics in terms of history and they go through notation that you'll need to know. My school and other books I used didn't really do that so it's nice to be able to know those things.
I also use the Edexcel textbook. The textbook is good too and it does get right to the point with the model answers. It's better for me in terms of Maths hwk as my school follow the book. When I'm really struggling though (like I was for Binomials) I watch Uplearn and that really helps. The videos are really easy to follow and there is a lot of repetition involved so the methods do get ingrained in you.

The only thing I'd say is that it's REALLY time consuming. When you start learning a topic, you have to watch all the videos in order (on average let's say 10 mins) and there are about 20-30 on each topic and when you get bulked with as much maths hwk as I do, it's hard to find time to watch Uplearn.

I haven't really done any full exam papers yet but I have done a couple of cumulatives on a few odd topics. For my first cumulative (before Uplearn) I got a D but I did one last week and I have a better feeling about it.
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Uplearn is actually really helpful. They explain the context of the Maths topics in terms of history and they go through notation that you'll need to know. My school and other books I used didn't really do that so it's nice to be able to know those things.
I also use the Edexcel textbook. The textbook is good too and it does get right to the point with the model answers. It's better for me in terms of Maths hwk as my school follow the book. When I'm really struggling though (like I was for Binomials) I watch Uplearn and that really helps. The videos are really easy to follow and there is a lot of repetition involved so the methods do get ingrained in you.

The only thing I'd say is that it's REALLY time consuming. When you start learning a topic, you have to watch all the videos in order (on average let's say 10 mins) and there are about 20-30 on each topic and when you get bulked with as much maths hwk as I do, it's hard to find time to watch Uplearn.

I haven't really done any full exam papers yet but I have done a couple of cumulatives on a few odd topics. For my first cumulative (before Uplearn) I got a D but I did one last week and I have a better feeling about it.
yeah ur right im doing it and its long as heck like super long
username4491076
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I tried UpLearn for a bit, it was personally a bit too time-consuming for me and I didn't get much progress in the time I used it.

Like someone here already mentioned, I use tailored tutors. They have a youtube channel which have a few videos if you want to try their teaching style. If you like it they have a 7 day free trial on their website. I have their content and exam guide for chemistry and biology and its honestly helped me so much. I was getting like D's then ended up with A's at the end of the year

If you need any advice for bio + chem lemme know!
Uplearnisitworth
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Megan Annabelle)
I tried UpLearn for a bit, it was personally a bit too time-consuming for me and I didn't get much progress in the time I used it.

Like someone here already mentioned, I use tailored tutors. They have a youtube channel which have a few videos if you want to try their teaching style. If you like it they have a 7 day free trial on their website. I have their content and exam guide for chemistry and biology and its honestly helped me so much. I was getting like D's then ended up with A's at the end of the year

If you need any advice for bio + chem lemme know!
other than watching tailored tutors videos what else do you do? exam questions?
bullfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
laura ferrao Megan Annabelle Hi, I am considering purchasing UpLearn Core for A-level maths edexcel. I am going to try the free trail.
I am at E level right now and my knowledge is quite patchy from year 1, and I do not know most of the things from year 2 either.

I have a maths mock beginning the week 22 Feb 2021, that is 9 weeks 5 days from today....Do you think I will be able to excel my grade for the mock by using uplearn? I noticed you said the course was quite time consuming but do you think it will be good to try and boost my grade up becuase i kind of need it lol.

thanks..
laura ferrao
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bullfly)
laura ferrao Megan Annabelle Hi, I am considering purchasing UpLearn Core for A-level maths edexcel. I am going to try the free trail.
I am at E level right now and my knowledge is quite patchy from year 1, and I do not know most of the things from year 2 either.

I have a maths mock beginning the week 22 Feb 2021, that is 9 weeks 5 days from today....Do you think I will be able to excel my grade for the mock by using uplearn? I noticed you said the course was quite time consuming but do you think it will be good to try and boost my grade up becuase i kind of need it lol.

thanks..
I think when you sign up they do tailor to each person's needs so I think you could complete it if you did a bit everyday. The reason it's taking me so long is because I'm not using it everyday (only on weekends) and when I do, I only use it for 1h maybe.
It's good for recapping and explaining but for exam practice your better off doing textbook questions tbh
bullfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think when you sign up they do tailor to each person's needs so I think you could complete it if you did a bit everyday. The reason it's taking me so long is because I'm not using it everyday (only on weekends) and when I do, I only use it for 1h maybe.
It's good for recapping and explaining but for exam practice your better off doing textbook questions tbh
Fairs I mean the thing with textbook /exam questions is that I don't really have enough knowledge to do them and I need to study the knowledge before I think the best way to do this might be through up learn..

So your saying that Uplearn tailors to you as soon as you start using it? I want a platform that can adjust to my strengths and weaknesses quickly because I have alot of gaps in my knowledge and to be honest I don't know where they all are. I want something that will adjust to my weakness so I can address them. Your saying uplearn can do this? How does it do this? through you using it and it just detecting as it goes, or does it make you do a test on all topics to see where your weak spots are when you sign up or something? I'm quite interested to know because I want to become good at everything before I sit the mock.

Thanks for all of your help...
laura ferrao
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bullfly)
Fairs I mean the thing with textbook /exam questions is that I don't really have enough knowledge to do them and I need to study the knowledge before I think the best way to do this might be through up learn..

So your saying that Uplearn tailors to you as soon as you start using it? I want a platform that can adjust to my strengths and weaknesses quickly because I have alot of gaps in my knowledge and to be honest I don't know where they all are. I want something that will adjust to my weakness so I can address them. Your saying uplearn can do this? How does it do this? through you using it and it just detecting as it goes, or does it make you do a test on all topics to see where your weak spots are when you sign up or something? I'm quite interested to know because I want to become good at everything before I sit the mock.

Thanks for all of your help...
Before each topic it does a prior knowledge quiz and if u get the questions right it'll skip the relevant videos so you only really study you weaknesses.
It'd be worth emailing the team at uplearn to ask about it- we did that and they are quite informative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads