The Student Room Group

Irish graduate entry medicine with psychology bsc

I am currently on the second year of the BSc Psychology course at KCL, but I have realised I want to study medicine instead. I am aiming to graduate with a first/upper second and my plan is to apply to graduate entry medicine.
My problem is that I am an EU student and considering the fee increases for most UK universities, my main option at the moment is the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI). They consider GEM applicants based on gamsat scores only so my plan is to prepare and take gamsat until I get a good enough score.

I am due to graduate in 2022 may but if I would want to apply for the GAM course starting in 2022 september, I have to submit the application at the beginning of my third year at uni (october 2021). As I have understood, I will need my gamsat score before the application deadline to make sure I have enough points (their last year minimum score was 61). Therefore I would need to take the gamsat next year in the march session, which is very soon and I haven’t prepared yet. Furthermore, my partner is recovering from cancer so at high risk for covid and I can’t make the trip to UK this spring.
What options do I have and what would you reccommend I do?

I’m thinking of taking gamsat in next september 2021 and applying in october 2022 for the course starting in 2023. Then during the ‘gap’ year I am planning to get a job in healthcare to get some work experience with patients.
I’m just a bit worried about leaving education for a year and then joining afterwards..

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending