Agiwghthtwtbey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm trying to get my head round this whole DSAs thing. I know I should apply ASAP but I'm thinking of changing my course and possibly even university (got into Roehampton to study biological science on a terrible science grade for me - E - and not enough UCAS points. Was meant to go in Sept 2020 but deferred to 2021 due to the lockdowns and stuff. Could possibly defer further if there's another lockdown and the uni let me. I want to be able to have an actual gap year and work on improving my independence which is fairly tricky given the lockdowns. Roe let me defer to 2021 and put me on an extended degree with a foundation year, but I'm worried I might struggle after 2 years of not studying. When I studied double science and got AA, as soon as summer was over and I was in my first week of Chemistry A Level we had an 'easy'surprise quiz that I got 2/20 on. I really want to try it as biology interests me a lot, but I have a feeling I'll struggle. I'm thinking perhaps I may switch to photography but Roehampton, which used to be in the top 20 unis for photography in the guardian league tables last year now resides at no 39 in the tables, which is not v promising. So I might switch uni. I don't know yet so not sure when I should be applying for DSA).
The issue is I currently use a Mac. Have been taking notes and typing essays at school on a Mac probably since Year 10? Only experience I have in using PCs is when I wrote my exams; I had to write the longer essay style exams like Class Civ and English Literature on a laptop where I wasn't allowed to use my own for GCSEs and A Levels (I even wrote my coursework for my English Literature A Level exam on my Mac). My Mac still works mostly fine (had a screen issue while doing my coursework which was Apple's fault, was replaced, then I broke the screen bc I dropped it from my bed and I paid a repair co to fix it, it has sticky keys including a Delete Key which doesn't work, which I believe is another issue with Apple and is being looked at by the Genius Bar next week, and it has little memory, which is my own fault I know) BUT due to the age of my Mac it's almost considered vintage (2016 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar) and also if I end up doing photography I'll more than likely need a laptop with better specs than the laptop I have (lowest level of space, non-upgradeable RAM etc). I know DSA obviously won't pay for a Mac, and I/my Mum will be expected to contribute the first £200. I guess I'm asking is how do the suppliers/upgrades etc work?
Would I be able to go directly to Apple and claim back the cost DSA/SFE would be willing to pay and obviously pay the rest myself? I know at Apple you still pay VAT but they have a pretty generous student discount for uni students (which I got last time when I told them I was at secondary school) - I believe it's about 20%? Doesn't seem like that much but its a pretty hefty discount when buying a laptop.
If anyone has any other experience with DSA and how it all works I'd love to hear it as well 😊
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Agiwghthtwtbey)
I'm trying to get my head round this whole DSAs thing. I know I should apply ASAP but I'm thinking of changing my course and possibly even university (got into Roehampton to study biological science on a terrible science grade for me - E - and not enough UCAS points. Was meant to go in Sept 2020 but deferred to 2021 due to the lockdowns and stuff. Could possibly defer further if there's another lockdown and the uni let me. I want to be able to have an actual gap year and work on improving my independence which is fairly tricky given the lockdowns. Roe let me defer to 2021 and put me on an extended degree with a foundation year, but I'm worried I might struggle after 2 years of not studying. When I studied double science and got AA, as soon as summer was over and I was in my first week of Chemistry A Level we had an 'easy'surprise quiz that I got 2/20 on. I really want to try it as biology interests me a lot, but I have a feeling I'll struggle. I'm thinking perhaps I may switch to photography but Roehampton, which used to be in the top 20 unis for photography in the guardian league tables last year now resides at no 39 in the tables, which is not v promising. So I might switch uni. I don't know yet so not sure when I should be applying for DSA).
The issue is I currently use a Mac. Have been taking notes and typing essays at school on a Mac probably since Year 10? Only experience I have in using PCs is when I wrote my exams; I had to write the longer essay style exams like Class Civ and English Literature on a laptop where I wasn't allowed to use my own for GCSEs and A Levels (I even wrote my coursework for my English Literature A Level exam on my Mac). My Mac still works mostly fine (had a screen issue while doing my coursework which was Apple's fault, was replaced, then I broke the screen bc I dropped it from my bed and I paid a repair co to fix it, it has sticky keys including a Delete Key which doesn't work, which I believe is another issue with Apple and is being looked at by the Genius Bar next week, and it has little memory, which is my own fault I know) BUT due to the age of my Mac it's almost considered vintage (2016 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar) and also if I end up doing photography I'll more than likely need a laptop with better specs than the laptop I have (lowest level of space, non-upgradeable RAM etc). I know DSA obviously won't pay for a Mac, and I/my Mum will be expected to contribute the first £200. I guess I'm asking is how do the suppliers/upgrades etc work?
Would I be able to go directly to Apple and claim back the cost DSA/SFE would be willing to pay and obviously pay the rest myself? I know at Apple you still pay VAT but they have a pretty generous student discount for uni students (which I got last time when I told them I was at secondary school) - I believe it's about 20%? Doesn't seem like that much but its a pretty hefty discount when buying a laptop.
If anyone has any other experience with DSA and how it all works I'd love to hear it as well 😊
Hi, I advise you to email this general query to [email protected] and one of our DSA assessors will be able to give you some general advice about this.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads