Alessandro.C_27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay I am really confused about the redox concept. I have always learned that Oxidation is loss of electrons, and Reduction is gain of elections. OILRIG.

But I was doing this question and got confused:

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

From that, I deduced that Zinc is being oxidised. Zinc is a 2+ ion there, and so it GAINS two electrons to get a full outer shell. Because Oxidation is GAIN. But apparently Zinc is being reduced??

Pls help thank youu!!
lunarzephyr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alessandro.C_27)
Okay I am really confused about the redox concept. I have always learned that Oxidation is loss of electrons, and Reduction is gain of elections. OILRIG.

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

From that, I deduced that Zinc is being oxidised. Zinc is a 2+ ion there, and so it GAINS two electrons to get a full outer shell. Because Oxidation is GAIN. But apparently Zinc is being reduced??

Pls help thank youu!!
Hey zinc is not being reduced but is a reducing agent to the chlorine. there is an error somewhere as zinc is definitely being oxidised and chlorine reduced!
Alessandro.C_27
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Perfect! That's what I thought also... I emailed my teacher so I will let you know what she says
KaziMahathir
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Perfect! That's what I thought also... I emailed my teacher so I will let you know what she says
Is the reaction meant to be decomposition, i.e. is the arrow going to right way? Maybe I'm just confusing myself.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

ZnCl2 --> Zn + Cl2

Pls help thank youu!!
You have contradicted yourself
OILRIG

Oxidation is loss of electrons
Reduction is gain of electrons

You deduced that zinc has 2+ and gains two electrons to form Zn.
Reduction is gain...so Zinc is reduced.
KaziMahathir
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
You have contradicted yourself
OILRIG

Oxidation is loss of electrons
Reduction is gain of electrons

You deduced that zinc has 2+ and gains two electrons to form Zn.
Reduction is gain...so Zinc is reduced.
That’s what I thought, however I saw someone agreed with OP reasoning. Then, I wondered if OP put the arrow the wrong way or something. For the backward reaction, zinc would be getting oxidised, so OP would be right (even if their explanation is contradictory). Confusing stuff, eh?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KaziMahathir)
That’s what I thought, however I saw someone agreed with OP reasoning. Then, I wondered if OP put the arrow the wrong way or something. For the backward reaction, zinc would be getting oxidised, so OP would be right (even if their explanation is contradictory). Confusing stuff, eh?
With the equation they give they have given the correct breakdown of what’s happening, zinc is gaining electrons.

In the opposite form
Zn + Cl2 -> ZnCl2

Then yes, the opposite will occur and Zinc will be oxidised and be a reducing agent for Cl2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise