Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hay...

The June that went past... i sat my first ever 'Spies' exam... i left the exam feeling happy... seeing as i had written everythin i knew about Mr Hayward and the other male characters ( forgotten what the question was.. but i know it was male orientated)..

results day.. an E!!

hmmm... so ive decided to retake spies in jan 09...i got a B in chaucer and all my sons.. and an A in the coursework ( much ado).. i just have no idea where i went wrong.

anyways... i have decided to re-read the book.. and ordered myself a copy of the york notes... but any pointers and help from you guys/gals.. would be awsome...esp on essay structure.. and line of argument..which is just something i have never understood!!

much appreciated x
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I got an A in my Spies exam. You really need to read the assessment objectives They will help you get the better mark.

Always include a language analysis (there's plenty to say about language in Spies!) because that is always favoured by the examiners!

ReputationRep:
    gah I got 63/90 in June and will be retaking , but I thought I had done a lot worse. best tip would be to stick with the AO's. Have you tried getting a photocopy of your script?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I got an A in my Spies exam. You really need to read the assessment objectives They will help you get the better mark.

Always include a language analysis (there's plenty to say about language in Spies!) because that is always favoured by the examiners!
    I got a copy of the assessment objectives ( thanks for the advice ) ...

A01 = just the communication, and understanding of the text.

A02 = knowledge of the text, analysis skills, crucial aspects of a question identified ( no idea what that means ) , and conceptual grasp.

A03 = what is frayn tryin to show when using the language/structure/form he choses to use.

Any ideas on A03?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by lordoftherings)
    I got a copy of the assessment objectives ( thanks for the advice ) ...

A01 = just the communication, and understanding of the text.

A02 = knowledge of the text, analysis skills, crucial aspects of a question identified ( no idea what that means ) , and conceptual grasp.

A03 = what is frayn tryin to show when using the language/structure/form he choses to use.

Any ideas on A03?
    Look for anything. Quotations are a must. Look for examples of metaphors, similies, alliteration, oxymorons (and there are loads!). Make sure you explain them thoroughly ie. how do they contribute to effect, what do they mean etc. But obviously don't tell the examiner this in such simple terms - be subtle. :p:

ReputationRep:
    awsome Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    I sat Spies in January and got a C, but one mark above a D... and then resat and got an A. All I did was reread it once and learn more quotations. Remember to stay focussed on the question... the fathers and fatherhood one, lots of my classmates didn't do too well on because they just spoke about the males as 'men', and what theyre like as stereotypical males instead of fathers. Just remember to keep dropping language analysis in throughout, stick to the question and you should do fine

ReputationRep:
    Remember to concentrate on the way Frayn uses language and structure a lot - changing tenses and from first to third person; motif words, etc. And to speak about, if you do the extract question (which I always do lol), how parts of the text fit into overarching themes of the book, and the context of the war, the Duration.

That's probably not very helpful, but I got 90/90 so I must have done something right :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in Spies, reckon it's because I answered the question way too simplistically - did the fatherhood one and just went through all the male characters But yeah, quotations form/structure and language and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    just pretend that you're a really boring, stupid, slightly robotic person and just write about form, language, structure and you'll be fine. - only a few people in my year got As in that paper, we all HATED that book

ReputationRep:
    For AO3 stuff, I've attached a copy of the quotes & analysis table that I made for my January exam last year. Hope that's helpful...
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Spies Quotes.doc (58.5 KB, 511 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordoftherings)
    =

The June that went past... i sat my first ever 'Spies' exam... i left the exam feeling happy... seeing as i had written everythin i knew about Mr Hayward and the other male characters ( forgotten what the question was.. but i know it was male orientated)..
    The bolded part is your problem. You may know everything about Mr Hayward et al. but that's not what the examiner wants. Instead of chucking down everything you know, make sure what you're writing is relevent at all times to the question, and try to write in a logical order which will help your answer greatly

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Can anyone give an examples of A03 stuff? I got a B in this, but will be retaking. Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 8, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.