The Student Room Group

Which A level ,Geography or Psychology, goes more with Bio and Chem?

Hi, I'm in year 11 and I'm deciding on what A levels to do as I'm beginning to apply for sixth forms/colleges and I can't decide on whether I should do A level Geography or Psychology as my 3rd A level with Bio and Chem. I do geography for GCSE and I'm predicted an 8 so idk if it's better to do geo for A level as I'm already doing it for gcse so I might find it easier but, I was thinking about doing psychology because I find it really interesting and I like the fact that there's an overlap of bio in it. If anyone who has done either of these A levels or are doing them rn, can you share your opinion on the one you are doing and how you found/find it please. Also, idk if this helps but I want to do a job in the medicine field.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tryingmybest101
Hi, I'm in year 11 and I'm deciding on what A levels to do as I'm beginning to apply for sixth forms/colleges and I can't decide on whether I should do A level Geography or Psychology as my 3rd A level with Bio and Chem. I do geography for GCSE and I'm predicted an 8 so idk if it's better to do geo for A level as I'm already doing it for gcse so I might find it easier but, I was thinking about doing psychology because I find it really interesting and I like the fact that there's an overlap of bio in it. If anyone who has done either of these A levels or are doing them rn, can you share your opinion on the one you are doing and how you found/find it please. Also, idk if this helps but I want to do a job in the medicine field.
Thanks.

It would make sense to do psychology with the combo that you have. Psychology is deemed to be very interesting but there’s a lot of content. Idk about geography though
Thanks.

100% doesn't matter which you do (unless you want to do something Geography-related at university, in which case Geog would make the most sense). Universities do not care about the combination you offer and they won't consider either Geography or Psychology more impressive than the other. The best piece of advice I would give is - do the subject you'll enjoy the most in order to help yourself get the best grade possible.
Original post by Anon12345678987
It would make sense to do psychology with the combo that you have. Psychology is deemed to be very interesting but there’s a lot of content. Idk about geography though

That's what I thought as well, thank youu.
Original post by Quick-use
100% doesn't matter which you do (unless you want to do something Geography-related at university, in which case Geog would make the most sense). Universities do not care about the combination you offer and they won't consider either Geography or Psychology more impressive than the other. The best piece of advice I would give is - do the subject you'll enjoy the most in order to help yourself get the best grade possible.

No I'm not planning on doing anything geo related at uni, so I think I'll stick to psychology. Thank you.
What are you planning on studying at uni?
Original post by cait1606
What are you planning on studying at uni?

I'm planning on studying medicine at uni.
I'm planning on studying medicine at uni.

I know it wasn’t one of your options but I would suggest A Level Maths as your third choice. Many people applying for medicine have two science and maths or 3 science a levels as this is seen as the most competitive combination. However, i would always say the most important thing is to pick subjects that you enjoy and have a passion for, which in your case sounds like it might be psychology. You will still be able to apply for medicine courses with either psychology or geography in addition to bio and chem, it’s just that they are less common subjects amongst medicine applicants.
I know it wasn’t one of your options but I would suggest A Level Maths as your third choice. Many people applying for medicine have two science and maths or 3 science a levels as this is seen as the most competitive combination.

It's not at all seen as the most competitive combination. Universities do not care if OP does Maths as their third subject, and they certainly won't find it more impressive. OP could do A level Sociology and still get in for a Medicine degree

I repeat - every single British Medicine school will gladly accept A level Psychology as a third subject and will consider it just as 'competitive' as Maths, Sociology or Geography.

As long as Bio+Chem are done, the third subject can be in practically anything
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks.

Just do what you enjoy more. I take both and they're both a lot of content so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. I would say psychology works better with Bio and Chem (A-Level Geog only has very slight crossovers with basic biology) and personally I find Geography more boring and harder (even though it was my favourite subject from yr8-y11, I have amazing teachers and I thought I wanted to go to uni for it). However, Geography can arguably give you more options if hypothetically you changed your mind on medicine. I'm probably biased because I'm going on to do a psychology degree haha but I'd recommend Psych. Also, if you're looking for the more physical side of Geography (that goes with Chem and Bio more) then I'd consider Geology as A-Level Geog is way more about the human side.
My main advice would be to just look through the specifications and pick which one you like the sound of learning more! There's no point being miserable for 2 amazing years of your life because your picked a subject that 'went better' with your medicine options, just do what you enjoy and you'll seriously thank yourself later!
Original post by Quick-use
It's not at all seen as the most competitive combination. Universities do not care if OP does Maths as their third subject, and they certainly won't find it more impressive. OP could do A level Sociology and still get in for a Medicine degree

I repeat - every single British Medicine school will gladly accept A level Psychology as a third subject and will consider it just as 'competitive' as Maths, Sociology or Geography.

As long as Bio+Chem are done, the third subject can be in practically anything

Oh yeah I realise as long as you have bio and chem then you can still be accepted regardless of what your 3rd a level is, it’s just that the skills you gain from studying something like maths is more applicable to a medicine degree as opposed to geography which you’ll probably never need again.

But I could be wrong about maths/science being more competitive, it’s just that in my school’s experience the people who get interviews and offers for medicine at oxbridge, imperial, UCL etc have almost all exclusively had a 3rd subject closely linked to bio and chem, but that could just be chance.

At the end of the day the most important things they look for in medics applicants are your grades, the work experience you’ve had, wider reading and participation in the subject beyond school, UCAT/BMAT scores etc, so what subject your 3rd a level is will probably be less important to them. I’d just been given the impression by lecturers and friends that are studying medicine that some subjects have a very slightly higher weighting over others, but as I said I could be completely wrong.
I take bio chem psych (predicted A*AA and applied for medicine) I had such a hard time choosing between psych and re for my third and I’m so so glad I chose psych in the end! I actually started y13 on bio chem psych and re as I just couldn’t choose and after a half term I dropped re as I diddnt like it as much. Psych is so interesting there is such a wide range of topics so there will defo be something you enjoy. There’s elements of science eg biopsych, bio approach in approaches but it’s not at all science heavy. In comparison to bio and chem the lessons are quite laidback, the content is quite easy to understand. The real challenge with psychology is learning it all. Most of the exam is knowledge based and you just have to learn and recall the content, which means if your willing to put the effort in you will do well. There is elements of exam technique involved but it’s to easy to pick up. There’s up to 16 mark essays which is nothing in comparison to some other a levels but there’s also lots of short questions. There’s a topic research methods (biggest one in psych) where there’s no essays and that’s a little sciency and is all about how to do psych research so u look at ethics in psych research, different types of experiments/observations look at case studies etc. Hope this has helped you get a bit more of an insight into a level psych if you have any questions do let me know as I was in a very similar position to you being stuck with my third a level. Psych has strong links to a career in med as well. For example you look at how to evaluate treatments such as SSRIs for OCD, the skills I learnt to evaluate treatments where actually used in this mini medical school I did at birmingham uni- showing how useful it is! Also you look at menta Heath conditions ocd phobias depression schizophrenia and addiction, and having background knowledge about this will be so useful when working with patients. That’s not the only useful thing, I think social influence is a very important topic as well as it could show you in medicine why people may not want a certian treatment, or why they may want a certian treatment if they know a friend who has it, or why people make prefer a doctor their own gender and all sorts like that. So I think psychology would be brilliant! But you do do psychology bits within a medicine degree so if you choose geog you won’t be disadvantaged. At the end of the day ultimately you need a grade A or higher that’s the most important bit so if you think you’d do better in geog, take that. But don’t stress too much about the deicision, I spent so much time stressing as it wasn’t worth it. If your really stuck explain the situation to the school and see if you can start on 4. If you have any questions about psych let me know xx
Also Plymouth for medicine this year required A*AA for you to get an interview the A* had to be in bio chem physics maths or psychology. Not many other med schools have this requirement, but it’s something to consider :smile:
Thanks.

Medicine- Psychology
Sciences/Engineering- Geography
I don't really think it matters tbh- bio and chem are the main sciences you need for medicine
Original post by Ukiyomo
Just do what you enjoy more. I take both and they're both a lot of content so that shouldn't be a deciding factor. I would say psychology works better with Bio and Chem (A-Level Geog only has very slight crossovers with basic biology) and personally I find Geography more boring and harder (even though it was my favourite subject from yr8-y11, I have amazing teachers and I thought I wanted to go to uni for it). However, Geography can arguably give you more options if hypothetically you changed your mind on medicine. I'm probably biased because I'm going on to do a psychology degree haha but I'd recommend Psych. Also, if you're looking for the more physical side of Geography (that goes with Chem and Bio more) then I'd consider Geology as A-Level Geog is way more about the human side.
My main advice would be to just look through the specifications and pick which one you like the sound of learning more! There's no point being miserable for 2 amazing years of your life because your picked a subject that 'went better' with your medicine options, just do what you enjoy and you'll seriously thank yourself later!

I'm more interested in psychology rather then geo because I'm not really enjoying it at gcse to be honest, I just find it easy as a subject so I think I'll do psychology because I feel that I would enjoy it way more over geography and I feel that I can achieve a good grade in it too. Thank you for your response x
Oh yeah I realise as long as you have bio and chem then you can still be accepted regardless of what your 3rd a level is, it’s just that the skills you gain from studying something like maths is more applicable to a medicine degree as opposed to geography which you’ll probably never need again.

But I could be wrong about maths/science being more competitive, it’s just that in my school’s experience the people who get interviews and offers for medicine at oxbridge, imperial, UCL etc have almost all exclusively had a 3rd subject closely linked to bio and chem, but that could just be chance.

At the end of the day the most important things they look for in medics applicants are your grades, the work experience you’ve had, wider reading and participation in the subject beyond school, UCAT/BMAT scores etc, so what subject your 3rd a level is will probably be less important to them. I’d just been given the impression by lecturers and friends that are studying medicine that some subjects have a very slightly higher weighting over others, but as I said I could be completely wrong.

Yeah I've heard similar things about that as well from my teachers too, but most of them say that often your 3rd A level doesn't matter as much as long as you get a good grade in it just like you said, so I'll choose the subject I enjoy more because I know that I can get good grades in them when I'm interested in them. Thank you for your response x
Original post by emilyx248
I take bio chem psych (predicted A*AA and applied for medicine) I had such a hard time choosing between psych and re for my third and I’m so so glad I chose psych in the end! I actually started y13 on bio chem psych and re as I just couldn’t choose and after a half term I dropped re as I diddnt like it as much. Psych is so interesting there is such a wide range of topics so there will defo be something you enjoy. There’s elements of science eg biopsych, bio approach in approaches but it’s not at all science heavy. In comparison to bio and chem the lessons are quite laidback, the content is quite easy to understand. The real challenge with psychology is learning it all. Most of the exam is knowledge based and you just have to learn and recall the content, which means if your willing to put the effort in you will do well. There is elements of exam technique involved but it’s to easy to pick up. There’s up to 16 mark essays which is nothing in comparison to some other a levels but there’s also lots of short questions. There’s a topic research methods (biggest one in psych) where there’s no essays and that’s a little sciency and is all about how to do psych research so u look at ethics in psych research, different types of experiments/observations look at case studies etc. Hope this has helped you get a bit more of an insight into a level psych if you have any questions do let me know as I was in a very similar position to you being stuck with my third a level. Psych has strong links to a career in med as well. For example you look at how to evaluate treatments such as SSRIs for OCD, the skills I learnt to evaluate treatments where actually used in this mini medical school I did at birmingham uni- showing how useful it is! Also you look at menta Heath conditions ocd phobias depression schizophrenia and addiction, and having background knowledge about this will be so useful when working with patients. That’s not the only useful thing, I think social influence is a very important topic as well as it could show you in medicine why people may not want a certian treatment, or why they may want a certian treatment if they know a friend who has it, or why people make prefer a doctor their own gender and all sorts like that. So I think psychology would be brilliant! But you do do psychology bits within a medicine degree so if you choose geog you won’t be disadvantaged. At the end of the day ultimately you need a grade A or higher that’s the most important bit so if you think you’d do better in geog, take that. But don’t stress too much about the deicision, I spent so much time stressing as it wasn’t worth it. If your really stuck explain the situation to the school and see if you can start on 4. If you have any questions about psych let me know xx

Thank you for your response and for the insight on psychology A level, I feel like it really helped me understand a bit more about it and it helped me finally pick psychology for A level over geo because I like essay writing so writing 16 markers don't bother me that much and I like the fact that it has links with medicine too because I feel like all 3 A levels nicely link with each other and aren't that contrasting with each other as well. Also I feel like I would be able to get a good grade in psychology because i'm way more interested in it over geo which I only like because I find it easy at gcse. Btw I know this isn't linked to psychology as much but I was just wondering as you do Chemistry A level, do you find it hard as an A level because I really like chem at gcse but i've heard it gets way harder at A level like the maths that you do in it is really hard and I just wanted to know do you think that as well.
Original post by laura ferrao
Medicine- Psychology
Sciences/Engineering- Geography
I don't really think it matters tbh- bio and chem are the main sciences you need for medicine

Yh I've heard as long as i'm doing those 2 A levels then the 3rd subject isn't as important, thank you x
I'm more interested in psychology rather then geo because I'm not really enjoying it at gcse to be honest, I just find it easy as a subject so I think I'll do psychology because I feel that I would enjoy it way more over geography and I feel that I can achieve a good grade in it too. Thank you for your response x

No problem! I'm glad I could help and I think that's best because I found geog GCSE super easy and now I'm kinda struggling haha, I didn't even do GCSE Psych and I personally find it easier and way more interesting! Good luck with GCSEs and A-Levels!
Yeah I've heard similar things about that as well from my teachers too, but most of them say that often your 3rd A level doesn't matter as much as long as you get a good grade in it just like you said, so I'll choose the subject I enjoy more because I know that I can get good grades in them when I'm interested in them. Thank you for your response x

I think that sounds like a great decision! Definitely always follow what you enjoy :smile:) and besides, I’m sure psychology would have a lot of applicability to medicine at times, especially bio-psych modules and mental health disorders etc, so sounds like a good choice :smile:) x

Quick Reply

Latest