lilygarr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have an interview at st hugh's for physics but in the email with the links for it, they stated that the interviewers would not be using miro, so I would need paper and a thick pen. I don't know if this is the same for anyone else, but I just find it a bit odd as physics is a tier 3 subject for technology, and realistically the interviewers would probably need to see working I do?
Last edited by lilygarr; 6 months ago
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not really sure what you mean by "tier 3" subject, but all universities (and companies for that matter) have different infrastructure and an IT team to implement, manage and support that infrastructure. All staff also have different exposure, experience and confidence to the varying levels of technology available to them. The use of some of the technology may be mandatory, e.g. outlook, whereas other technology may be optional e.g. Matlab. Therefore just because an organisation does not use a certain piece of technology, unless there is a legal requirement, is neither here or there.

So they have asked only for a pen and paper. It is not clear from your post whether this is a technical interview and/or an assessment centre but if either is the case, then presumably the pen and paper is for your own benefit to help you answer some technical questions. If they do want to see working out then they will make it clear if and also how they expect you to do that, so I would not worry about that at all.
Last edited by 0le; 6 months ago
lilygarr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by 0le)
Not really sure what you mean by "tier 3" subject, but all universities (and companies for that matter) have different infrastructure and an IT team to implement, manage and support that infrastructure. All staff also have different exposure, experience and confidence to the varying levels of technology available to them. The use of some of the technology may be mandatory, e.g. outlook, whereas other technology may be optional e.g. Matlab. Therefore just because an organisation does not use a certain piece of technology, unless there is a legal requirement, is neither here or there.

So they have asked only for a pen and paper. It is not clear from your post whether this is a technical interview and/or an assessment centre but if either is the case, then presumably the pen and paper is for your own benefit to help you answer some technical questions. If they do want to see working out then they will make it clear if and also how they expect you to do that, so I would not worry about that at all.
Sorry by tier 3, I meant that on the oxford website, there are certain pieces of technology required for interviews for each subject, including a tablet using miro (a whiteboard app) where the interviewers would be able to see my working. This is why I'm surprised, as I assumed all the oxford colleges would be carrying out interviews for the same subject in a similar way, by using the same techmology
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads