The Student Room Group

Further reading

I am studying law and history at A level, but wish to study politics at university. Can you recommend background reading which would help me in my application.
Reply 1
Original post by KATE KE46
I am studying law and history at A level, but wish to study politics at university. Can you recommend background reading which would help me in my application.

Definitely, avoid reading something like British Politics: A Very Short Introduction and comment on that in your personal statement because that won't set your personal statement apart from somebody else. You could demonstrate your interest in politics perhaps by commenting on current affairs or a particular political event you found interesting and elaborate further by explaining why perhaps. If you do choose to read something and comment on it in your personal statement, that's absolutely fine, but remember your personal statement should be 'personal' to you and should make it clear and convincing why you want to study politics at uni. I hope this helps and makes sense. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Definitely, avoid reading something like British Politics: A Very Short Introduction and comment on that in your personal statement because that won't set your personal statement apart from somebody else. You could demonstrate your interest in politics perhaps by commenting on current affairs or a particular political event you found interesting and elaborate further by explaining why perhaps. If you do choose to read something and comment on it in your personal statement, that's absolutely fine, but remember your personal statement should be 'personal' to you and should make it clear and convincing why you want to study politics at uni. I hope this helps and makes sense. :smile:

Thank you for your help and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending