Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

I find it so irritating, you go out on the pull and find a nice girl who happens to be 20-23 range and is blatently into you, UNTIL she finds out your 18! then her face falls, you get that disappointed "oh, you look older" and an instant loss of interest.

Like wtf?!?! i wouldnt care if a girl was 16/17 so long as she fit and canny, yet it seems to be a big deal to the fairer sex. i got shot down a few times for it, once after i was already necking on with someone (i got a rather insulting "what??! youll still be living with your mam!").

just this week i had a this 20 yr old lass stop textin me coz she found out i was 18 (fair enough i told her i was 20 on the night but thats besides the point) but 2 years is not a big difference.

is there a reason for this aversion to younger people or is that just the way it is?

ReputationRep:
    Less mature and not as protective.

Btw, she probably stopped texting you cos you lied rather than age :p:

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the person. some people just don't go for younger ones, and you've unfortunately met them consecutively. I personally prefer older guys, unless I really like the guy and even then two years younger is my max. Maturity level is always the consideration.

ReputationRep:
    but ive got designer stubble/bumfluff!!! surely that guarantees maturity yes???

ReputationRep:
    Personally I prefer a guy to be slightly older than me, 'cause it makes me feel more protected and safe for some reason. And as a general rule, younger guys tend to be less mature.

ReputationRep:
    Typically (although obviously not all) guys are less mature than girls, so a younger guy sends out "omg immature" alarm bells :p:
    I also think perhaps there's a bit of a stigma about a 20-odd year old dating an 18 year old, maybe the girl would be embarrassed. Either way, she's not right for you!

Perhaps if you met the right girl, who happened to be older, she wouldn't let a little thing like age get in the way.

ReputationRep:
    Because we like to pretend we're dating our dads.

ReputationRep:
    Maturity, definitely. I find men the same age as me unbearable enough, let alone the younglings. Also, I think when I'm 30 and a 'younger man' is someone who's 25 it won't matter as much, but at the moment guys younger than me still seem like children

I agree that this 20 year-old probably did stop texting you more because of the lie than your age. However, if you're really getting on with someone and they ditch you because of your age it is perhaps a bit shallow.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny, most of the ladies who have replied so far say they like older men because they are more mature and the ladies feel more protected and safe with them...

...and yet, whenever I've performed/offered an act of chivalry, I'm always getting feminist rants down my ears :p: Maybe it's just the ladies I know! :p:

ReputationRep:
    When you're 20 and you've lived a life of boys being seriously immature you really aren't that interested by somebody in their teens. Try someone in their 40s!

lol haha personally i am way put off by the boy being younger

ReputationRep:
    And by the way, what do you girls really mean by 'mature'?

ReputationRep:
    I never find myself attracted to guys younger than me.. I think it's probably the maturity factor. I don't want to feel like I'm dating a little boy!

ReputationRep:
    because guys are meant to be the protective ones
    saying that my boyfriends younger than me...but only by 6 months so he's technically still 'my age'
    i have a 9 month rule :P

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really bother me.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh my boyfriend is one year and 4 days younger than me and he treats me better than my ex who was a year older than me ever did.
    Nothing wrong with rocking the cradle a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariqé)
    And by the way, what do you girls really mean by 'mature'?
    Well, most 18 year old guys I know consider getting hideously drunk, throwing up in a gutter, setting fire to a bin and then throwing a firecracker at a pensioner to be super fun. Which obviously isn't ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldrafiki)
    Maturity, definitely. I find men the same age as me unbearable enough, let alone the younglings. Also, I think when I'm 30 and a 'younger man' is someone who's 25 it won't matter as much, but at the moment guys younger than me still seem like children

I agree that this 20 year-old probably did stop texting you more because of the lie than your age. However, if you're really getting on with someone and they ditch you because of your age it is perhaps a bit shallow.
    lol but i came clean with it straight away! i think its a tad harsh to not even reply when i was being honest! it wasnt that big of a difference anyway!

we just cant win its rubbish being 18 coz 16 year old lasses are very boring craicage wise and lasses our age or older are too busy getting into the 20 yr old lads.

ReputationRep:
    I like older guys because it makes me feel more of a rebel... also younger guys are irresponsible in comparison :p:

It just feels wrong going out with a younger guy (albeit there is a certain guy I kissed that I would have made an exception for :rolleyes: )

With an older guy it just feels as though they have experienced more of the world, hence experience and added maturity. Plus they make me feel safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldrafiki)
    Well, most 18 year old guys I know consider getting hideously drunk, throwing up in a gutter, setting fire to a bin and then throwing a firecracker at a pensioner to be super fun. Which obviously isn't ideal.
    [I'm 20, for the record!]

Ok so you've pointed out alot of clearly immature things. Unfortunately that hasn't shed light on what you mean by 'mature', besides the fact that it doesn't include doing the above acts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariqé)
    ...and yet, whenever I've performed/offered an act of chivalry, I'm always getting feminist rants down my ears :p: Maybe it's just the ladies I know! :p:
    Do they go to Cambridge uni by any chance?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.