The Student Room Group

Technical drawing from different views of an object

Hi!
We are supposed to draw this object from different perspectives and also include the measurements. (Top view and side view are necessary for this object) The instructions said the diameter of the whole object should be 150 mm and that we can choose our own measurements for the rest of the drawing as long as the proportions remain the same. This confused me...because if proportions are to remain the same that means we don't really "choose" our own measurements right? Since they're all relative to the 150mm. As far as I've understood it I have to measure it from the screen😳 (despite it being at an angle) in order to get the proportions right for the front view. Does someone have an idea about this? I would appreciate it very much. Thank you!
20201206_135306-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
I think in this particular case they just want you to pick measurements which ensure that the object looks similar to what you see on the screen. So if the outside circle is 150mm, maybe the inside extruded part has a diameter of 75mm or something? Then the hole has a diameter of 50mm maybe?

Just make an educated guess so that it looks reasonably similar, because you cannot make an accurate measurement in the way you describe.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
I think in this particular case they just want you to pick measurements which ensure that the object looks similar to what you see on the screen. So if the outside circle is 150mm, maybe the inside extruded part has a diameter of 75mm or something? Then the hole has a diameter of 50mm maybe?

Just make an educated guess so that it looks reasonably similar, because you cannot make an accurate measurement in the way you describe.

Thank you! I will do that👍
Top view would just be a circle of diameter 150mm with two smaller circles in the middle and the 4 holes at the edges.
Side view would be a rectangle with sloped sides at the top (draft angle) with a width of 150mm. There would be a smaller rectangle on top with sloped sides again.
You could draw an isometric view if you wanted as well which is the object in a 3D visual format
As the other poster says the exact dimensions minus the 150mm are up to you to determine. Just make sure it looks roughly in proportion to the original and that your different views have the same measurements e.g the middle bit should be the same distances from the edge on both your side and top view (and also in the middle whatever measurement you decide to use).
I dont know if the school has specified a scale for you to use but if you choose 1:2 make sure you half all your measurements.
I would imagine the aim of this exercise is to get you used to seeing and producing these types of drawings. Professional designers have to generate these types of images using CAD software. The original image itself looks like its been done on solidworks and the type of drawing they are asking you to produce is called a GA drawing so you might be best off googling solidworks GA drawings first just to get an idea on the sort of thing they want you to produce.
Best of luck :smile: I would advise doing this with a compass and a ruler
You need a compass and a ruler.
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
Top view would just be a circle of diameter 150mm with two smaller circles in the middle and the 4 holes at the edges.
Side view would be a rectangle with sloped sides at the top (draft angle) with a width of 150mm. There would be a smaller rectangle on top with sloped sides again.
You could draw an isometric view if you wanted as well which is the object in a 3D visual format
As the other poster says the exact dimensions minus the 150mm are up to you to determine. Just make sure it looks roughly in proportion to the original and that your different views have the same measurements e.g the middle bit should be the same distances from the edge on both your side and top view (and also in the middle whatever measurement you decide to use).
I dont know if the school has specified a scale for you to use but if you choose 1:2 make sure you half all your measurements.
I would imagine the aim of this exercise is to get you used to seeing and producing these types of drawings. Professional designers have to generate these types of images using CAD software. The original image itself looks like its been done on solidworks and the type of drawing they are asking you to produce is called a GA drawing so you might be best off googling solidworks GA drawings first just to get an idea on the sort of thing they want you to produce.
Best of luck :smile: I would advise doing this with a compass and a ruler

Thank you so much! :smile::smile:I would have forgotten to make the rectangle have sloped sides if I wouldn't have read it here in your answer. I googled the GA drawings and that kind of diagram is what we received and we have to create it using CAD Inventor. That's the semester's project which I haven't started because Idk how to interpret them.:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest