Psychology BSc at King's College London

Watch
Alia Kurdi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I applied to King's but didn't meet their GCSE requirements (they require a 6 in GCSE maths and I got a 5), do you think they'll still consider me?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Most likely not. GCSE requirements are one of the things universities are very inflexible over. Additionally for this particular requirement for this particular subject area, it is probably not an arbitrary requirement; there is a lot of statistics work in a psychology degree and they need to know that incoming students will have enough quantitative and mathematical skills to cope with that, hence the requirement for a 6. It's quite likely that in their experience students admitted with less than that have struggled a lot on the course and potentially failed or dropped out at higher rates than those with grades of 6 or above in GCSE Maths, so they require students to have above that to make sure the ones they do take on the course can do well on it.

However if you are planning to retake that GCSE and have listed it as something you are going to be retaking this year they will probably consider you with a conditional offer of getting a 6 in GCSE Maths retake along with whatever A-level conditions they add.
Alia Kurdi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Most likely not. GCSE requirements are one of the things universities are very inflexible over. Additionally for this particular requirement for this particular subject area, it is probably not an arbitrary requirement; there is a lot of statistics work in a psychology degree and they need to know that incoming students will have enough quantitative and mathematical skills to cope with that, hence the requirement for a 6. It's quite likely that in their experience students admitted with less than that have struggled a lot on the course and potentially failed or dropped out at higher rates than those with grades of 6 or above in GCSE Maths, so they require students to have above that to make sure the ones they do take on the course can do well on it.

However if you are planning to retake that GCSE and have listed it as something you are going to be retaking this year they will probably consider you with a conditional offer of getting a 6 in GCSE Maths retake along with whatever A-level conditions they add.
Update: I ended up getting a conditional offer and I've made it my firm choice!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Alia Kurdi)
Update: I ended up getting a conditional offer and I've made it my firm choice!
Congratulations Does the conditional offer specify any GCSE grades, or is it just based on your A-levels? It's unusual for unis to overlook GCSE requirements in that way so they must've been quite impressed with the rest of your application if only based on your A-levels!
Alia Kurdi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Congratulations Does the conditional offer specify any GCSE grades, or is it just based on your A-levels? It's unusual for unis to overlook GCSE requirements in that way so they must've been quite impressed with the rest of your application if only based on your A-levels!
Thank you! They only require AAB A-Level grades from me! I was very shocked myself. I did put a lot of effort towards my personal statement and apparently I had good references - I guess they saved me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.9%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (80)
63.49%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (15)
11.9%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
10.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise