Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ANyone applying for this fantastically varied subject? Post here if you are as I'm interested if anyone else exists or if Im the only one applying this year :p:

ReputationRep:
    no - but have fun writing the personal statement for all those subjects! you'll have to make the most of the SAQ form for cambridge that says 'any other comments'...

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to, but decided to stick with Classics instead. It looks like a great course though!

ReputationRep:
    you might get more takers in the oxbridge forum?

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm not, but I have a friend who's doing it.

ReputationRep:
    so it really is me, and this friend you talk of
    just me an dthem then, whoo hoo

I know, my SAQis jammed, but Ive just abandoned celtic because it bores me.

ReputationRep:
    ASNaC is a very small subject. My friend's going into her second year now, and there's only her and another guy doing ASNaC in our year at Queens'. Mind you, there's only one other philosopher besides me in my year at Queens', and it's really not that bad.

She says that old Norse is evil and should be killed. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I hadn't walked out of my history class never to return at GCSE (I went to a state school and the history class was taught by my head of year who hated me and genuinely bullied me....so much so he got a warning off the head master) then I would probably be applying for this.

It's a really interesting subject area...

Perhaps create a facebook group OP? (as daft as it sounds)

ReputationRep:
    There is a Campaign for ASNaC Awareness group on Facebook, begun by said friend of mine. :p: Several of the members aren't actually ASNaCs though.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for 2009 entry, Clare College

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and no, you're not the only one aplying.
    Although I just want to blow myself up because I didn't know LAST date for applying was 15 oct, I only filled my UCAS last week so... I've been a week too short! haha, too bad for me .
    But I'm really willing to apply for 2010 now, unless they extend the possibilities until november. XD

I'm french, so that's why I was not aware of Oxbridge schedules, in France for very big schools like La Sorbonne you must apply last date in february, so I thought I had time left! haha.

But still, hoping to join this fantastic course for 2010 ( unless a miracle).
    How is it to be only 2 in a subject?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wheyhey!! I've just been accepted for the ASNaC course at Newnham, in 2009!!
    0Ladybid0 - what a shame you just missed out! But hopefully you will have a fantastic gap year - I think ASNaC has an intake of about 25-30 students. xx

ReputationRep:
    got an offer from catz for asnac for entry 2009
    i have a feeling there will be around 15-20 of us this year if we all make our offers..
    i think the entire course has around 60 students?
    should be amazing fun.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you studying it? One of my cousins is involved with it at Cambridge somehow, not sure how exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiousity (no, I don't do the subject, sorry!) how did you guys all get interested in it? It seems such a random subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnitJanet)
    Out of curiousity (no, I don't do the subject, sorry!) how did you guys all get interested in it? It seems such a random subject!
    lots of reasons i got interested. one, i want to be a writer, so i want to know the english language as well as possible, which means knowing its origins. with asnac, i'll get to learn all the languages and history that have helped to make english (i've already studied latin and greek for years, and i'm also looking at french and german on my own). some people tell me this theory of mine (becoming a better writer because of asnac) is a bit of a stretch, but muldoon and heaney know similar languages and its helped them.
    another reason is that i simply love medieval history, especially british. but then, i love learning any history and also love learning dead languages. im sure if i probed myself deep psychologically, i'd find some reason (probably associated with my relationship with my brother) for this seemingly useless passion (i personally don't think its useless), but that's not really the stuff for forums.
    those are basically the two major reasons i'm into asnac. not sure about the rest of us.
    btw, i'm going to asnac at trinity in october.

ReputationRep:
    a weird obsession with medieval and renaissance history, and with folk culture.. i think it goes along with reading fantasy novels, listening to folk and folk metal, and having lord of the rings (which was actually based on the anglo saxon, norse, and celtic cultures) and the arthurian legends memorized by heart. its the same area of interest. and ive always been a history nerd, as im polish and have studied polish history and literature on the side for about 7 years now. and the earlier and more obscure the history the more fascinating!

ReputationRep:
    I want to do it! :cry: Unfortunately my GCSEs, AS levels and A levels aren't good enough due to having a really s**t past 3 years for a multitude of reasons. I know I'm good enough for it but I didn't bother applying for this year due to my AS grades. So unless a miracle happens and I get AAA I'm going to do Mediaeval and Early Modern History or maybe History with Archaeology (I might switch in my second year) at Bangor, get a first in it and then apply to do the Afflicted BA in ASNC. Well, that's the plan. (If I do get onto it then the plan is to take it all the way to PhD :yes: I never want to leave university if I manage to get onto ASNC.)
    If the miracle happens and I do get AAA then I may as well try to get onto ASNC for 2010. If I don't then I'll probably still go to Bangor (if they give me an offer again that is.)

As for why I want to do ASNC. Number one reason? Tolkien! :love: (for the languages). Second reason: Bernard Cornwell :love: (for the history). Other reasons: crazy obsession with the Arthurian period, Anglo-Saxon culture, all out over the top completely insane obsession with Irish history and the language. Ditto for Wales (hence the reason why I'm going to a Welsh uni: I can learn Welsh while I'm there. Something I've been meaning to do for 10 years.) A strange fascination with how the English language has developed (I adore Old English :love: If I take a gap year I'm going to start teaching myself it :yes: ). I haven't actually been that interested in Norse stuff apart from the obvious Tolkien stuff, but due to my recent foray into historical fiction based in that era I'm starting to find it fascinating.
    Also, I just want to get away from studying the bloody Nazis! :woo: No, seriously, my first line of my personal statement was basically saying that I've hated doing History at school and college :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    yep yep tolkien and arthur

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 2, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.