The Student Room Group

Is Banking still a good career even with brexit

Thoughts? Can I get into banking with a degree from a non-russell group?
1) Brexit makes no significant difference to the vast majority of graduate banking roles. All that’s really happening is billions is being re-routed via EU entities rather than London as banks start to build out their European operations. London will still exist, it’s just the impact for graduates is that hiring is slimmer, whilst competition is greater. This isn’t solely down to Brexit.

2) In the COVID world where you can earn a very good salary, do your job reasonably well from home and have minimal outgoings, it’s probably an even safer bet then other sectors.

3) Front office roles can be hard from non-Russell group, but many banking roles can be accessible with decent experience and a compelling profile.
Reply 2
Could I ask you for some advice? What would be a good place to start? like an entry level position? You honestly think London will be fine after brexit?
Jobs will continue to be based out of London, firms will continue to hire, there will be natural churn and turnover in organisations. Like I said, the impact of Brexit isnt going to blow London out of irrelevance at all.

Depends where you are in your university life - assuming you are aware of spring weeks, internships, graduate roles, off-cycle etc - you need to know the available options to you and...apply. If you've graduated, look for the entry level/Analyst/operations/admin roles. If you aren't totally focused on being based in London, look at other hubs like Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cheshire even that are typically the operational backbone of many banks.
Original post by BusMan21
Jobs will continue to be based out of London, firms will continue to hire, there will be natural churn and turnover in organisations. Like I said, the impact of Brexit isnt going to blow London out of irrelevance at all.

Depends where you are in your university life - assuming you are aware of spring weeks, internships, graduate roles, off-cycle etc - you need to know the available options to you and...apply. If you've graduated, look for the entry level/Analyst/operations/admin roles. If you aren't totally focused on being based in London, look at other hubs like Bristol, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cheshire even that are typically the operational backbone of many banks.

are non London roles less competitive?
Original post by rebellionium
are non London roles less competitive?

Yes they are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending