Turn on thread page Beta

Can i set up an ebay account to sell stuff without giving my credit card details watch

ReputationRep:
    Due to all the spyware on my pc, id rather not put my debit/credit card details on to ebay, also generally scared moiney will get knicked.

So can i sign up, to sell items, without putting these details on?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    can't you do it with paypal? if not then yeah I think you have to

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, you need to pay to list items on eBay, so they will need your bank details to do this.

ReputationRep:
    does it matter if i make myself a bit older, so i appear 18?

ReputationRep:
    if you use a browser other than IE only a proper virus (ie a trojan) will be able to steal details.
    It doesn't matter if you make yourself a bit older really. I've been using ebay since i was about 16.
    You should probably try to get rid of all your spyware. Its actually really easy.
    download adaware
    download
    spybot
    Run the update option then do a scan.
    They'll get rid of pretty much anything.
    If you want to be extra safe
    use this
    To get rid of everything.

Make it a little (and very boring) project for the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    Due to all the spyware on my pc, id rather not put my debit/credit card details on to ebay, also generally scared moiney will get knicked.

So can i sign up, to sell items, without putting these details on?
    Setup a bank account and not put any money in it. Otherwise, can't see any other legal ways.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/basics/n-account.html Looks like there are other options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    Make it a little (and very boring) project for the next few days.
    ...personally I'd just backup all documents and save files to a CD and wipe the hard disk then reinstall everything. Much more certain, and it can be done in 2 or 3 hours. The last time my PC was full of spyware & dialers AdAware/Spybot wouldn't clear it.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, i've got about 30gb of documents, music, videos etc. so for me its easier to run a few programs.
    If an anti virus program can't remove something, scanning again in safemode (f8 at startup) will usually get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    i think you have to because you have to pay a small listing fee every time you put something up for sale. oh and be careful of fraudulent emails from "ebay" asking for your credit card details.

ReputationRep:
    No you dont! You are only asked for credit card details if you use an email like @hotmail.com. If you use your own like @joebloggs.com or @yourisp.com you will not be asked for them!

ReputationRep:
    If you are singing up now, then yes you do. However, you can register a debit card instead.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.