Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In a marked essay I'm planning to submit, I made one mistake in the first paragraph, putting "archetype" instead of "archetypal"... Other than that the essay is like, pretty good, though. I know it seems very minor and trivial, but basically, like, will the mistake matter or not?... *pathetic* :rolleyes: Thanks in advance for replies.

On another note the Ratatouille OST is so good. Ahh.

ReputationRep:
    I had the odd typo here and there in my essay - no-one ever brought them up. It's your ideas they're most interested in, so unless the thing is riddled with errors, I can't see why there would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. ^^ Gah, at this stage, everyone at my school is like, "MAKE SURE YOUR OXFORD APPLICATION IS PERFECT OTHERWISE YOU WILL DIEEEEE." Needless to say, I am getting stressed out over the most ridiculous of matters.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just correct it in pencil or pen?

ReputationRep:
    Correct it lol...!?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, well, the teacher already did, I'm submitting it as it was marked. It's just obvious I made a mistake. It's not really that important, I'm just incredibly paranoid. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm concerned. They want an A2 History essay but it's been ages since I did any of those essays. How am I supposed to have an in-depth conversation about something that I can remember little about.

Not to say that I'm capable of writing a much better essay nowadays than I could then (i.e. wider vocabulary, better syntax etc.).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speedbird2008)
    Correct it lol...!?
    But it's been marked, funny thing. :p: She can't re-write it without the error because then her teacher will have to mark it from scratch.. and she can't just tippex over the offending word because presumably her teacher will have drawn a big red line underneath it.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I'm concerned. They want an A2 History essay but it's been ages since I did any of those essays. How am I supposed to have an in-depth conversation about something that I can remember little about.

Not to say that I'm capable of writing a much better essay nowadays than I could then (i.e. wider vocabulary, better syntax etc.).
    I called about this issue, and they told me to write a new essay - but then again, it had been well over three years since I wrote any English essays. You only did your A-level in History last year, didn't you? So I'm not sure they'd be so flexible with you.

Obviously worth asking, though.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously dont worry about.... or do you really think they will think: " Well a great candidate but we cant offer her a place as she made that unimportant mistake in her essay" ... seriously if you're good enough they wont care about that mistake at all

ReputationRep:
    lol, my essay had loads of stupid errors in, because i sent off a marked draft - i forgot to close brackets, my sentences changed direction/topic halfway through, i made a few errors similar to your (incredibly minor) one. they didn't mention it at all - you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, people. xD It's just paranoia, my school's good at that.

"YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLESS YOU ATTEND OXBRIDGE HEADSTART DAY!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF YOU GOT LESS THAN 'EXCELLENT' ON YOUR MOCK INTERVIEW!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF TWO OF YOU APPLY TO THE SAME COURSE AND COLLEGE!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF YOU CLEAR YOUR THROAT AT INTERVIEW!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLESS YOU READ FIFTY MILLION BOOKS ON YOUR SUBJECT - EVERYDAY!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE!"

...They don't quite tend to yell as much as that, but they might as well really. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srana)
    Cheers, people. xD It's just paranoia, my school's good at that.

"YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLESS YOU ATTEND OXBRIDGE HEADSTART DAY!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF YOU GOT LESS THAN 'EXCELLENT' ON YOUR MOCK INTERVIEW!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF TWO OF YOU APPLY TO THE SAME COURSE AND COLLEGE!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE IF YOU CLEAR YOUR THROAT AT INTERVIEW!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLESS YOU READ FIFTY MILLION BOOKS ON YOUR SUBJECT - EVERYDAY!"
    "YOU WON'T GET INTO OXBRIDGE!"

...They don't quite tend to yell as much as that, but they might as well really. :rolleyes:
    To be honest what you're teachers say is spot on.

Especially considering that there's no university called 'Oxbridge'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, one of my two essays was a last minute night before jobby, and was riddled with typos, and they didn't really seem to mind that/ bring it up at all... meh, i really wouldn't worry about it...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.