The Student Room Group

Podiatry - work experience needed for uni application

Hi!

I’ve just started an access course with the hope of starting uni this September. Im applying for podiatry, and was hoping to gain insight from someone currently studying in regards to work experience on the uni application.

I have no health care experience, having worked in the hospitality industry the majority of me working life. I have some voluntarily experience within a SEN school, as a befriender for vulnerable people, and also as a carer for a diabetic patient who I assist to their podiatry appointments.

I only add the above information because this is what Brighton university say on the website regards to experience:

All candidates must be able to demonstrate good knowledge of podiatry as a profession, from talking to and, if possible, shadowing qualified podiatrists, visiting departments and reading relevant material. This should provide an insight into how this experience has informed their decision to become a podiatrist. Experience of working in other caring environments or voluntary work is also beneficial.

I am currently trying to gain some healthcare experience in a more relevant capacity, but of course with everything I’m aware it might be more difficult to find any opportunities.

So any advice would be super grateful!

Thank you for reading.
I done the access course and made the mistake of going into podiatry, they failed half my class in the 2nd and 3rd Yr clinical exams including myself, I now find myself back at point 1 with a massive debt. I also have privilege of watching my mates who went into mental health nursing earning £40-£60 a hr with private agencies. Be very careful with ur course choice podiatry is medicine not healthcare and they fail good students all the time, if I could do it again I would have went into mental health nursing, we're they have real jobs at the other side and don't fail 40 percent of your class in exams based on assessors opinion.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by username5154894
I done the access course and made the mistake of going into podiatry, they failed half my class in the 2nd and 3rd Yr clinical exams including myself, I now find myself back at point 1 with a massive debt. I also have privilege of watching my mates who went into mental health nursing earning £40-£60 a hr with private agencies. Be very careful with ur course choice podiatry is medicine not healthcare and they fail good students all the time, if I could do it again I would have went into mental health nursing, we're they have real jobs at the other side and don't fail 40 percent of your class in exams based on assessors opinion.

Where did you go, may I ask?
It sucks that you had to leave the course. It’s two attempts at clinical and if failed kicked off the course isn’t it?

Quick Reply

Latest