How long did it take you to get to grade..

Watch
Pitogi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yes. What instruments, what level are you at now, how long did it take you to get to it?

I'm asking partly out of interest/curiosity.

And also because I'm just starting a couple of new instruments from scratch, and want an idea of what to expect progress-wise.

Instruments I'm starting are clarinet and piano, and I already learn french horn and violin (where there has been a massive difference - took me about 7 years to get to grade 7 on violin, and has taken me just over 2 years on horn)
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It took about 5 years altogether to get to grade 8 on keyboard. I skipped quite a few grades, so I didn't do a grade each time I don't think.

It took me about a year to get to grade 3 on flute, again skipping grades - I don't think I bothered doing any more grades after that, even though I carried on with flute.

Piano I can't really say as I'd played keyboard for years before anyway and have never taken any piano exams.

Piano - getting to grade 3 in a year should be pretty easy methinks. Clarinet may be a bit longer because of the technique you have to learn - but as you already play a 'mouth' instrument (obviously brass isn't woodwind so I didn't know how else to phrase it!) you may have better luck!
MeAndBubbles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Took me slightly over 4 years to get Grade 8 Classical Guitar, from nothing to pass level. I also got Grade 4 Piano Merit in about 6 months of practice, doing the exam without having practiced for maybe 2 months (that was a bit unnerving).

I make a living at it now and its great having a classical background, but now don't give two hoots about exams.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
On Piano: 12 years to get to diploma level
On Clarinet: 6 years to get to Grade 8
Zayne
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Piano grade 6 exam (about three years ago): 6 years
Violin Grade 6 exam (two years ago): Forever!!
Double Bass grade 8 exam (one year ago): 5 years
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Piano: about 15 years to get my diploma
Violin: about 10 years to get to Grade 8

CuriousGeorgie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
About 3 years to get to G5 in piano, and yet about year just to get to prelim on guitar (:unsure:)

I really varies from person to person, depending on teachers, musicality, having the right teacher for your particular musicality...
Doublereedfreak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oboe-3.5 years to get to grade 6
Sax-3 years to get to grade 7
Bassoon-1 year to get to grade 5

I'm seeing if I'll be ready to do grade 5 clarinet in November and I started at the end of July so itd be about 4/5 months :P
tinkerbellejess
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Flute- About 8 years to be ready to take grade 8 but then chickened out and didn't do it for another 3 years (when my teacher made me!)
Cornet- Played/had lessons on and off for about 10 years and ended up at grade 7.

I've just started learning clarinet and hope to at least take grade 5 next spring/summer.
Rachie-Rach-Rach
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Piano: Grade 7 - 12 years
Clarinet: Grade 5 - 6 years
Sax: Could play grade 3/4 standard after a month

I didn't actually take the clarinet seriously until I started sixth form, so it took me really only 18 months to get from grade 2 to grade 5, although I'd been learning since year 7.
Piano was pretty much the same, didn't take it seriously until I was in Year 11. I don't practise half as much as I should though. Grade 8 will be better!
deadgenius
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
Took me slightly over 4 years to get Grade 8 Classical Guitar, from nothing to pass level. I also got Grade 4 Piano Merit in about 6 months of practice, doing the exam without having practiced for maybe 2 months (that was a bit unnerving).

I make a living at it now and its great having a classical background, but now don't give two hoots about exams.

From now on, I worship the ground you stand on. It took me 11 years to get Grade 8 on classical guitar! I have taught myself piano over the last 3 years and am probably about a Grade 6 standard. I cba with exams now, I didn't really want to take my Grade 8. I just got fed up of having to learn how to remember a 16-bar extract and then sing it. "JUST LET ME PLAY THE BLOODY GUITAR!!!!!"
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by deadgenius)
From now on, I worship the ground you stand on. It took me 11 years to get Grade 8 on classical guitar! I have taught myself piano over the last 3 years and am probably about a Grade 6 standard. I cba with exams now, I didn't really want to take my Grade 8. I just got fed up of having to learn how to remember a 16-bar extract and then sing it. "JUST LET ME PLAY THE BLOODY GUITAR!!!!!"
Thanks alot

I continued ever higher after Grade 8, but it was into flamenco guitar also. I lost the focus to do a Diploma but I also did a BA degree. Man what you doing playing piano:p:
deadgenius
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
Thanks alot

I continued ever higher after Grade 8, but it was into flamenco guitar also. I lost the focus to do a Diploma but I also did a BA degree. Man what you doing playing piano:p:
Lol I love piano! It brings out the romantic in me.

It hasn't been long since I passed my Grade 8, but I'm starting to try new stuff other than just classical, like jazz, blues and flamenco. My favourite has to be flamenco, I'm addicted!

I used to know that I was going to do a music degree, but i didn't even enjoy GCSE, so I didn't do A-level. I think it's a shame because I need something to focus my mind to improve my guitar playing. Ah well... I'll probably lose all my skill so all I have left are the 3 chords A, D and E
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
it took me 7 years to get grade 8 on the clarinet but it could have been sooner if i had taken it during gcses but i didn't. Saxophone took me 2 years, singing took me 2 months... and i got a merit.. crazy! He he.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well it took me about 3-4 years to get to grade 8 bass guitar. I'm still only grade 6 on trumpet but that's because I haven't actually got round to learning the grade 8 stuff yet.
hopinmad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Who cares? You? Me?

Don't ask stupid questions!!!

I mean, honestly, those questions will get you nowhere. Judging yourself is good only when comparing with yourself, never with others.
hopinmad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To whoever said this "STFU, If you don't like the bloody question, don't post just to get your post count up":

Is it alright to post just to get my post count up if I do like the question then?

True, I didn't like the question . . . so I posted to explain that, because I felt the explanation would help the Original Poster (am I speaking to her now?) in advancing concerning any of her instrument.
As I've already said, I doubt she'll get motivating answers for her questions if she's going to be monitoring her own progress.
yesboss
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
to be honest grades mean **** all
Odrie
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
took me 3 years to grade 4 violin
and a year to grade 3 piano.

I didn't take those two seriously though, my mom was forcing me to do piano, but to be honest I don't really like piano thing, I'd prefer more on violin.
Roobagnall
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Classical guitar; 5 years to grade 8... doing everysingle crapping grade.
Electric guitar; about 6 months of my first lesson... But 4.5 years of playing the guitar previsously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (8)
4.85%
Confident (14)
8.48%
Indifferent (16)
9.7%
Unsure (40)
24.24%
Worried (87)
52.73%

Watched Threads