How long did it take you to get to grade.. Watch

lilhunni_jo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Took me 8 years to get to grade 8 on violin. Would've done it a while ago though but my teacher went into hospital and then the syllabus changed.
Piano...I'm on grade 6, been learning for about 5 years, very on and off though.

I guess it'd depend how young you start really...i started violin when I was younger but if I took an instrument up now I'd learn much quicker. Even the age difference between starting violin and piano made a difference.
Don_Kamikaze
Report 11 years ago
As some people have said, grades don't really mean anything as you can work hard on learning the pieces and sight reading is a piece of cake.

It took me two years to get Piano to grade 1 (barely passed), then I decided to take up the violin and got to grade 8 in the same period (2 years), went back to piano and got grade 8 in a year and then I moved to Flute with grade 8 in three years.

Finally took me 9 months or so to get classical guitar to grade 8.
neebo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oboe- 6 years to grade 8
Singing- basically all my life until now to grade 8

Used to play piano, got to grade 6 in 6 years.
Flute, grade 6 in 8 years.

Oboe and singing are the ones I care about.
Sirocco11
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Approximately 3 years to get to grade 8 on classical guitar, although I took it the year after realising that I needed grade 5 theory first. I didn't take any of the grades preceding it, so I'd had pretty much no experience beforehand.
p.d
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Don_Kamikaze)
As some people have said, grades don't really mean anything as you can work hard on learning the pieces and sight reading is a piece of cake.

It took me two years to get Piano to grade 1 (barely passed), then I decided to take up the violin and got to grade 8 in the same period (2 years), went back to piano and got grade 8 in a year and then I moved to Flute with grade 8 in three years.

Finally took me 9 months or so to get classical guitar to grade 8.
WOW! Are some music prodigy or something?
bach787
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been playing the violin for 14/15 years and have done grades 1-7. Grades 1, 2 and 3 went pretty quickly with just a few months in between for grades 1 and 2, but there was a 2 year gap between grade 5 and 6, because of grade 5 theory , then 1 year for grade 6 and another for grade 7.
maya1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
grade 8 piano - 11 years
grade 8 violin - 9 years
grade 8 theory - 2 years
grade 8 viola - 10 months.
Hectristic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Grade 6 piano with merit (I'm very proud of that merit hehe) in about 6 years.
ViolinGirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
grade 6 violin- 6 years
Zosie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Took me three years to get to Grade 3 Cello and 4 years to get to Grade 3 Piano. I'm sitting my Grade 6 Singing exam tomorrow (and have been told my teacher wants to put me in for Grade 8 next year) after 3 years of lessons.
Car Expert
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's taken me 5 years to get to Grade 5 piano - in effect, a grade a year.
slips
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Grade 8 violin-8 years
Grade 8 sax-3 years
haven't worked out why they're so different!
Joshh9550
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I practice 16 or so hours a day throughout the christmas holidays in 2009 when i got my first guitar, ive bin playing almost two years i've had no lessons and my dad has a friend who is a guitar tutor and he came round my house to see how well i was coming on because he's always had an interest in my music and he just came for a chat with my dad and he was in shock, He said im very almost a grade 8 guitarist and i knew most of the techniques of a grade 8 guitarist and also a few of the songs i can play are advanced but this was at least 1 month ago. Usually a guitarist who has lessons takes 3 years becoming a grade 3 in guitar but in my opinion, YouTube and total guitar magazines are 10x better and cheaper than guitar lessons.
Tinsley
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you have to remember that a lot of people (like me) started playing when we were young but I know I didn't enjoy it and never practiced. If you put the time in etc I think its not something that would take very long at all if you have experience with other instruments already. I've played piano for 10 years and can play grade 8 standard pieces, but have not done a graded exam since grade 2 when I was 11. I have been able to play grade 8 pieces since I was about 16 but I hardly ever practiced in earlier years so its not a massively accurate record to go by...
DemolitionLovers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It took me 8 years to get to grade 8 on tenor horn although I wasn't always doing grades.
musicman1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It took me about 8 years to get to grade 8 on violin and about 5 years on piano (because I did grades 4,5,6,7 and 8 in two years). I did all grades on piano and all except 6 on violin but tbh grades don't really mean much, I know a few violinists who have done grade 8 and are terrible! but its still the quickest way to learn so I recommend doing them
Stubby333
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My Cello I've been playing 10 years and I'll be doing Grade 8 in a couple of months. Flute it took me 8 years but I was ready to do it in 6, it's just when I did my Grade 7 (after 5 years of playing) I failed by a few marks because the examiner was really mean (everyone who did their exams at that time did much much worse than they deserved) and that basically destroyed the little confidence that I had, but I know I can play now cause I got to grade 8. Hopefully I'll have both by uni.
SaxMan97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys

It took me 7 years to get my grade 8 flute (didn't really like it aha! XD) , a year to get my grade 8 classical sax (fingering is quite similar to that of a flute!) and then a further two to do my diploma.
NicNack1972
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Generally it’s thought that students on average achieve a grade per year. Saying that, it just depends on the aptitude of the student, & how dedicated they are to regular practice.

My 10 year old daughter has moved through pretty quickly. She’s doing Grade 8 Violin next session (4 years); Grade 7 Classical Singing (2 years); Grade 8 Musical Theatre (2 years); Grade 4 Clarinet (18 months); Grade 3 piano (2.5 years before swapping to clarinet). She practices approx. 4 days per week for 20-30 mins on Clarinet/Violin.

Her twin brother is doing Grade 7 guitar (3 years); & Grade 5 piano (3.5 years).

Good teacher & practice is key....doesn’t guarantee success, but helps. 🎶😁
GeoJones94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Around 6/7 years as a drummer. I've always enjoyed improvising with other musicians but weirdly it's only within the past few years that i've really "felt" the music when I play (as pretentious as that may sound)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (120)
63.49%
No (69)
36.51%

Watched Threads