The Student Room Group

How is the MSc Computer Science at Nottingham?

I recently received an offer for the Msc Computer Science at the University of Nottingham.

I am also waiting for the following programs:
UCL - MSc Computer Science
Bristol - MSc Computer Science (Conversion)
Birmingham - MSc Computer Science

I wonder whether I should accept the offer from Nottingham.

I do not have a degree in CS. However, I previously worked as a researcher in Neuroscience and thus have quite some experience in scripting with Python, Matlab and R. I am working as a web developer (mainly using Java, Python and JavaScript) right now.

The program at Nottingham is quite appealing to me because it is the only program that does not only target students without a CS degree among the programs that I have applied to. I know they admitted quite a lot of students from a CS/ECE/CE background in the past years. Thus, the curriculum and the modules in the program may be more advanced than the other programs that I applied to. I do not want to start from scratch to learn if-then-else and loops.

However, my concern is that Nottingham seems to be the least prestigious of all of the schools I applied. I am an international student and I am not so sure what its reputation is in the UK. How competent the graduates are in job hunting in the UK?

My other concern is about the class size of this program. On the official website, it says the class size ranged from 2X to over a hundred. It seems that this program takes a lot of students. I am worried that the teaching quality may not be good if they are just trying to make money by admitting a lot of students.

Have anyone ever attended this program? Could you share your experience? Do you like the program (i.e. the teaching quality, the career service and etc.)? What jobs did the graduates usually get? (e.g. could they get software engineer job offers?)

I would appreciate any advice!
I would wait to see if you get an offer for UCL because it is the most reputable university, Nottingham is not that good.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalAsian21
I would wait to see if you get an offer for UCL because it is the most reputable university, Nottingham is not that good.

I also hope that I will get the offer for UCL.

However, I read from the other thread (i.e. the Official UCL Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread) that the conversion program at UCL tends to reject students who have experience working as a software engineer intern/programmer.
Since I am working as a programmer right now, the chance of being admitted to that program may be low... Even though I just started this job a few months ago :-(

What do you think about Bristol and Birmingham?

I did my undergraduate at a university ranked around 20 (QS) in the world and I really want to get the offer for UCL rather than the other 3 unis :-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending