Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, we all know the English language has some weird pronunciations, but did you ever realise how many? This poem highlights quite a few of them!

How well can you do reading it out loud, especially if English isn't your first language? It's my first language, but I'm pretty bad at it... some prounciations even I don't get!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~jnb/charivarius.html

I think it's easier to read on here.

ReputationRep:
    It's the same in many languages. I agree though; it must be hard to learn English.

ReputationRep:
    Got stuck on a few words, quite difficult to read. (English isn't my first language.)

ReputationRep:
    I read that pretty much perfectly, except sward and terpsichore as i've never encountered them in my life.

Can I just say, that was a major bore to read.

I don't think the English language is that weird tbh.

ReputationRep:
    that was kinda hard to man given up 2 quick

ReputationRep:
    Argh I can't even say a couple of those words! But mostly I'm pretty good I think hehe

ReputationRep:
    read mother tongue by bill bryson

ReputationRep:
    I struggled with a fair few of those, and I gave up after about a quarter of the way. I think with a language with as many words from as many different roots as English it's not surprising that someone can come up with a poem such as that, but I don't think it reflects the normal use of the language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)
    http://www.hep.wisc.edu/~jnb/charivarius.html

I think it's easier to read on here.
    Ha that's pretty good.

And I almost started on the trail of spoilers in your sig. But then I realised I've already wasted half an hour of my life on it before :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Haven't come across that poem before. I admit though, I did give up two thirds of the way through - it's so long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Ha that's pretty good.

And I almost started on the trail of spoilers in your sig. But then I realised I've already wasted half an hour of my life on it before :woo:
    lmaooo!!!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.