Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Haha ok someone please enlighten me!

I go to get a bag of popcorn, and I was just curious to see how many calories it was.. and it says that the bag unpopped is 110 calories, and the bag popped is 100.

Why the heck do I need to know the calories/nutritional value of a bag of unpopped popcorn!? :confused: It's not like I can do much with a bag that's unpopped! :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    The amount of sugar/fat/salt will affect the amount of calories in a bag?

ReputationRep:
    But.. but.. I don't get it. :confused: Obviously I want to know the calories of it popped.. but unpopped? wtf?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Also to add... who would eat an unpopped bag of popcorn :mute:

EDIT: Anyway, my guess would be to do with the heating and change in the contents (popcorn/salt/sugar/butter/whatever else is in there).

2nd edit: I read your OP wrong. Still interests me why it goes down though...

ReputationRep:
    Not all the popcorn in the bag gets popped, leaving some unpopped bits near the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    pop :^_^:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Not all the popcorn in the bag gets popped, leaving some unpopped bits near the bottom.
    They wouldn't take off the calories for that though, surely? Some people leave it for longer and some earlier.

The same amount of calories would still be in the bag as well (counting the unpopped ones, as they did for the previous figure). I'm guessing btw, i've no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SquishyJack)
    The amount of sugar/fat/salt will affect the amount of calories in a bag?
    Yeah but she's asking why would anyone need to know the calories because you don't eat the unpopped popcorn!

ReputationRep:
    It always totally confuses me. *Mmmmmm popcorn kernels*
    Like on oven chips it tells you the nutritional values when they're frozen. WHY? and it also confuses me that the fat content seems to go up when you cook them. How on earth can that happen? Does fat majestically materialise in my oven?
    Fair enough with energy and fat going down...fat seeps out of stuff when you cook it and energy probably gets used up somehow...but going up?!?!
    arrrrgggghhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    Haha ok someone please enlighten me!

I go to get a bag of popcorn, and I was just curious to see how many calories it was.. and it says that the bag unpopped is 110 calories, and the bag popped is 100.

Why the heck do I need to know the calories/nutritional value of a bag of unpopped popcorn!? :confused: It's not like I can do much with a bag that's unpopped! :shifty:
    :rofl:

I don't quite think they have got your question though. lol.

Guys, she's not asking why there is a difference - but why on earth would she want to know the unpopped values, considering they are inedible!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Fair enough, I read it wrong :o:

Can you use that corn for anything else other than popping it? if so I expect that's the answer.

ReputationRep:
    The world is so confusing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)

Can you use that corn for anything else other than popping it? if so I expect that's the answer.
    Yeah I can't think of anything.. and obviously if I needed unpopped kernels, I wouldn't pry them out of a popcorn bag, I'd just go buy some from the store in a bag that would be easier to open!

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)

Google says no.

I found a lot of people asking the same question as the OP though lol.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it have to have to contain nutritional information as it is whilst packaged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Doesn't it have to have to contain nutritional information as it is whilst packaged?
    ...sounds good enough to me! lol

ReputationRep:
    Om nom nom nom nom.

I bet those extra ten calories are well worth it. Crunchy little unpopped goodness :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda)
    ...sounds good enough to me! lol
    Well I was thinking...

You read on a bag of frozen chips for example: '300kcal per 100g when cooked'

You think: 'Why: 'when cooked' Is it different whilst frozen?' (Some people might not know that it is).

They say ok: 'When frozen: 295kcal per 100g
    'When cooken: 300kcal per 100g

It kind of makes sense... less questions asked if you don't leave anything out!

ReputationRep:
    Lolzor.
    Some nutrionists may want to know it

ReputationRep:
    I think its cos like it weighs a different amount when its popped to when its unpopped maybe? Like the oven chips, the reason it says when frozen and when cooked is because some people weigh them and then cook them, but some people will cook a load and then weigh them.... Or maybe thats just me being slightly crazy?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.