The Student Room Group

GCSE options/questions – open to answer anything!

Hi everyone!

I'm a current Year 11 student doing my GCSEs, and I thought I would create this chat where you can ask me any questions you may have on the topic, or just Year 10-11 life in general. Feel free to share whatever you'd like, and I'll respond as promptly as I can.

Thanks!
Elisa
What skills do you need for GCSE French?
Original post by tinygirl96
What skills do you need for GCSE French?

Hi @tinygirl96!

I actually take GCSE Spanish, but I'd say the skills required are quite similar, if not the same. Most exam boards (such as AQA), test you on 4 skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking.

You need to be able to have good comprehension skills for the reading exam, as well as an extensive range of vocabulary. I'd say doing one Quizlet a week, on around 25 terms, will help you retain the vocab that's required of you. Working on your vocab will help you with all 4 exam types.

In any language, the ability to convey what you want to say and speak fluently, is important. For the speaking exam, try to learn colloquial phrases specific to your chosen language, as it will up your standard just that little bit. You can watch French films, listen to French podcasts, and even French music. Stromae is a great choice :smile: By training your ears and getting used to the French tongue, this will help with your listening exam.

I hope this has helped. If you have any more questions, feel free to leave a reply.

Elisa
How can I revise for Jekyll and Hyde? Tbh the paper is tomorrow so I'm doomed for sure, I've tried quotes but the whole analysis and 'fog' and uses of context makes it hard
Original post by username5484000
How can I revise for Jekyll and Hyde? Tbh the paper is tomorrow so I'm doomed for sure, I've tried quotes but the whole analysis and 'fog' and uses of context makes it hard

Hi there @username5484000! I'm so sorry for the late reply, I had some issues with notifications.

I really hope your paper went well. I actually haven't studied Jekyll and Hyde, as this year I'm studying An Inspector Calls/Macbeth.

For papers such as these, I would suggest writing out the various themes that occur throughout the story, and elaborating on each theme in terms of characterisation (for each character), dramatic methods (dramatic irony, dramatic tension and dramatic spectacle), plot, and lastly, setting & atmosphere. I think that once you have these key points laid out and somewhat memorised, you'd do really well on any paper on Jekyll and Hyde.

This format of identifying theme, and then linking to characterisation, dramatic methods etc etc is a method that I'd say works well for any literary piece.

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, let me know if I can help you in any other way!

Elisa

Quick Reply

Latest