stressed27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone else has applied for public health speciality training for 2021 and if they've been longlisted yet?
Getting a wee bit anxious waiting for a reply :/
igph1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi stressed27,
I have also applied this year for the first time and also anxiously awaiting news. Based on last year's posts I think we might hear in the next week? Need some time to prepare for the tests in early January.
stressed27
Rep:
?
Ah it's nice to meet someone else who has applied! This is my first time applying too, are you a medical or non-medical applicant?
The exam looks a bit tough, haven't done any math in a decade so not looking forward to it
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
Hi, does anyone sat an assessment for Public Health Medicine training?
mi1k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Can also confirm, have applied but not yet heard
igph1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm non-medical, what about you? I'm more worried about the situational judgement test, absolutely no idea where to start for that one. At least maths I know there's a right answer somewhere! Although I haven't actually looked at the maths test yet - do you know if we'll need (or be allowed) calculators?
stressed27
Rep:
?
(Original post by igph1)
I'm non-medical, what about you? I'm more worried about the situational judgement test, absolutely no idea where to start for that one. At least maths I know there's a right answer somewhere! Although I haven't actually looked at the maths test yet - do you know if we'll need (or be allowed) calculators?
I'm medical, but an FY2. I have no idea about the calculators, I need to check on that! I did the SJTs for medical school ages ago and it seemed ok then, I haven't seen what kind of questions they'll give us though!
stressed27
Rep:
?
(Original post by mi1k)
Can also confirm, have applied but not yet heard
Cool, nice to meet you mi1k!
MaloN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm a first time applicant too , applying non medical and am applying as someone who has been out of the UK system for a long time. I have not heard anything yet regarding longlisting.. but its nice to see this thread and know I am not alone in feeling anxious..

Don't know what is the best way to prepare for this assessment center if I am hopefully longlisted. Any tips on what are the best resources to use ? I would also like to know if we will be able to use a calculator?
Good luck everyone.

(Original post by stressed27)
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone else has applied for public health speciality training for 2021 and if they've been longlisted yet?
alstroemeria9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys,
Hi! I'm an F2 applying this year as well still haven't heard anything, also been trying to find out if we're allowed calculators but can't seem to find any info online!
naanda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Also applying, can we let each other know if we get details/ confirmed exam bookings ?
wishess
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Think we are not allowed calculators. Anyone founds any good questions banks?
wishess
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
For the people that succeeded in the first stage exam, could you recommend any online question banks which most reflect the questions that came up?
eisb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wishess)
For the people that succeeded in the first stage exam, could you recommend any online question banks which most reflect the questions that came up?
Hey! I used the JobTestPrep website, and found their RANRA and Watson Glaser practice really useful. I felt the SJT papers on JobTestPrep were pretty useless - the questions were a different structure to the public health exam and the nature of the questions seemed to be aimed towards managerial posts in companies. I couldn't find any SJT practice papers specific to public health online, but I just went back over the SJT papers from the foundation programme application to remind myself of the structure etc.
Best of luck
Dandelion89
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wishess)
I would also highly recommend jobtestprep- I think it is about £50 for access for a month to all the tests but there are loads of practice papers of all three tests and some helpful guidance and advice too. I did try to find a free resource but very glad I made the purchase in the end as the best way I found to prepare was to do as many practice tests to time as possible. I actually found the questions that came up in the RANRA and Watson glaser were a bit easier in the real exam. Good luck!
mi1k
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would love to know if we are also allowed working out paper and pen in the assessment centre as everything I have seen says not.
mi1k
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Cool, nice to meet you mi1k!
Hey to you too and thanks for starting this thread
JMandy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi All!!Glad to see a thread here for 2021 as I have been excessively reading the previous posts from last years for advice. I too have not heard anything about long listing for the exams either but did receive all the emails from Pearson Vue to set up an account. Juliet
PHplans
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, been reading the thread looking for some advice on the application and just thought I'd sign up to say thanks for all the info, I've found it tricky to get much elsewhere

I've been revising through jobtestprep so good to hear a couple of you found it useful. Any other site recommendations?

Mind if I ask about the SJT - in what ways did the assessment centre Qs differ to the ones I'm seeing on JTP?
Any pointers on other ways to get inside the mind of what they're after? If I remember from FY1 SJT it was all about getting used to how we were 'supposed' to act within that role

Thanks for all the info so far
jqueue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Glad there are some others out there! I'm applying but feeling a bit lost - I don't know anyone also applying and can't seem to find much info online. I'm also using jobtestprep but have avoided the SJT questions - I'm not sure, but the principles and values they base the answers on seems very different to anything in medicine and feels wrong for public health! Let me know if anyone else know any different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (655)
48.48%
No (696)
51.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise