The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement plagiarism!!! HELP!

So I sent off my UCAS application and in the intro I wrote about how conflict in politics can lead to "X" (a sentence taken from an academic paper), but straight after it I said whose paper it was so like a reference? Is this still plagiarism? I've technically referenced it, just not in the full way you would do in coursework/an essay. I'm just worried it'll get flagged up in the plagiarism detector as it's an exact sentence + I didn't put it in quotation marks.

I'm not trying to pass it off as my own tho due to the reference, so will this be okay?
when sending your ucas off did you check it with a teacher? if they checked your personal statement and didn’t say anything was wrong with it then it should be fine. i also quoted things from an article in my PS and i’m all fine i got my offers back and everything so you should be fine!
If you've paraphrased it and attributed it to the original author that is fine. If you used the quote verbatim then it should be within quotation marks with the attribution in some way; in a proper academic paper/essay this would be an in text citation and then reference in the ref list/biblio, but also just saying something along the lines of: X said "ABC" so I think Y which I think is sufficient for a personal statement.

Not entirely sure how the UCAS plagiarism checker would read it, but without quotes it might highlight it as plagiarism. However any human looking at it would see you attributed it to the author so I don't think it's going to a huge issue but it is incorrectly referenced and may certainly lean up against plagiarism on technicality. But as I said, I'm not really sure how the UCAS plagiarism checker works...or what if anything universities see in relation to that. @PQ might know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending