In this day and age... Watch

This discussion is closed.
Skippety Skip
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
do you think that it is now acceptable for someone to break up with a person over the internet or over text, or do you think that no matter what, these methods will always be seen as unacceptable?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Skippety Skip)
do you think that it is now acceptable for someone to break up with a person over the internet or over text, or do you think that no matter what, these methods will always be seen as unacceptable?

Spineless methods.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well I have broken up with someone over text but without meaning to. I phoned and got an answering machine so I texted the person asking if we could meet up for a bit. he went mad assuming I was dumping him, so I did. over text. whoops.
Pski
Report 14 years ago
I dont think its acceptable at all. The person getting dumped will feel like the *****est thing on the planet.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should always do it face to face unless you have a really good reason not to, like they're away on holiday and you can't wait until they come back.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
well I have broken up with someone over text but without meaning to. I phoned and got an answering machine so I texted the person asking if we could meet up for a bit. he went mad assuming I was dumping him, so I did. over text. whoops.
Can I just say, that makes me slightly less sympathetic about your relationship issues you were posting about before.
caffecooki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think it depends why you're dumping them, if it's because they treated you like s**t, thats how they deserve to be treated
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by englishstudent)
Can I just say, that makes me slightly less sympathetic about your relationship issues you were posting about before.
how so? I had only been seeing the person in question for 3 days and he never gave me a chance to talk to him.
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sublime_envy)
how so? I had only been seeing the person in question for 3 days and he never gave me a chance to talk to him.
Well I suppose it's slightly different then. It just sounded a bit callous really.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i personally wouldnt do it in that way.

doing it over a phone or by proxy through a friend just shows you have no guts in my opinion.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I had been going out with my bf for over two years and we both new a break up was immanant. He wouldn't answer my calls see me or read any emails that I sent him because be knew what was comming so I txt him and told him that if he wouldn't meet me then I would have to dump him by txt and after all the time that we had been together I really didn't want to do that. Luckily he did come to see me and so I didn't have to dump him by txt which I would have hated to do. However the point I am trying to make is that sometimes when the other person doesn't give you any other option you have to do things that in other situations aren't acceptable.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes thats what happened with me also. he then asked me over text is I was dumping him I just said lets meet up and he went mad and assumed I was. :rolleyes:
Slice'N'Dice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No. It's out of order. As said before, it is a spineless method of breaking up with someone. ^^
iRock
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pski)
I dont think its acceptable at all. The person getting dumped will feel like the *****est thing on the planet.
I completely disagree with that and everyone else Personally I've never broken up with anyone/been broken with face to face. Maybe it does take more guts, but it's a lot easier for the person who is being broken up with too. If someone dumped me face to face I would feel pretty crappy really, very embarrassed, because it would be a horrible and awkward situation. Why go through that?
Slice'N'Dice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by iRock)
I completely disagree with that and everyone else Personally I've never broken up with anyone/been broken with face to face. Maybe it does take more guts, but it's a lot easier for the person who is being broken up with too. If someone dumped me face to face I would feel pretty crappy really, very embarrassed, because it would be a horrible and awkward situation. Why go through that?
Would you rather prefer receiving a text out of the blue saying "Your dumped", and basically never see/have any sort of contact with that person again?
Johnny 5
Report 14 years ago
It's a bad thing, unless you really, really hate them.
iRock
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Slice'N'Dice)
Would you rather prefer receiving a text out of the blue saying "Your dumped", and basically never see/have any sort of contact with that person again?
I'm not saying I wouldn't want to have contact with them again, but yes I would much rather prefer a text message - quick and painless. Wouldn't you?
Slice'N'Dice
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by iRock)
I'm not saying I wouldn't want to have contact with them again, but yes I would much rather prefer a text message - quick and painless. Wouldn't you?
I'd prefer the face-to-face method. I just wouldn't like to break up with someone from a text, or e-mail.

Each to their own though.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If someone can start going out with someone via text or the internet, why should the ending of a relationship be saved from being relayed via said mediums?
Johnny 5
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
If someone can start going out with someone via text or the internet, why should the ending of a relationship be saved from being relayed via said mediums?
Actually, I think starting a relationship by text would be pretty strange as well... it's not like anyone would ask someone to marry them by text (WL U MRY ME??). Without getting a slap, that is.

Either way, the human element of the romance is removed. And shouldn't love be about people and their emotions- not mobiles and digital communication?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise