Unknownx444
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What are non religious attitudes to homosexuality??
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Exploitative, marketing, chasing “the pink pound” (historic non-religious attitudes)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ospers-UK.html (2006)
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...d-1552982.html (1992)
T0ucan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In the West, many people who are not religious do not have a problem with homosexuality:
-In the UK, discrimination based on sexual orientation is illegal (Equalities Act 2010)
-The UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights gives the right to love whoever you want.
-As the Utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer puts it, "If an activity brings satisfaction to those who take part in it and harms no one, it can't be immoral" - this is a view most non-religious people, certainly Utilitarians, probably hold.

-However, because of the influence the church and religion has had on British culture, even people who are not religious may still hold negative views towards people who are gay. In 2018-2019, there were nearly 15k hate crimes based on someone's sexuality recorded in the UK (https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/10/23/...ocking-reading)
-In certain parts of the world, non-religious people may view homosexuality negatively for reasons other than religion. Eg. China is officially atheist as a country, but gay people are treated poorly because homosexuality is not seen to conform with China's cultural/family values.
-Some people who are not religious may be supportive of homosexuality but not supportive of the LGBTQ+ community for reasons unrelated to homosexuality eg. they don't support gender reassignment surgeries for children
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Research attitudes online and make notes.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Unknownx444)
What are non religious attitudes to homosexuality??
Research gay attitudes to queer theory. A significant portion of Gay people perceive queer theory as being deeply homophobic.

It has been theorised that in-utero exposure to high levels of testosterone may cause homosexuality.
Last edited by glassalice; 7 months ago
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Some factors

Society
Parental influence
Peer pressure
Education
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (47)
11.01%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (50)
11.71%
Lack of purpose or motivation (55)
12.88%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (23)
5.39%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (19)
4.45%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (44)
10.3%
Financial worries (28)
6.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (18)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (29)
6.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (13)
3.04%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (42)
9.84%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (34)
7.96%

Watched Threads