Calling all multi-linguists who fancy winning a trip to Berlin

Watch
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Babbel, with a little help from us 😊 are looking to find the country’s most multilingual student. They’re searching for the student in the UK who speaks the largest number of languages (to conversational level or beyond) and offering a prize of an all-expenses-paid trip to their home city of Berlin!

If you think that you might qualify - or know someone who deserves to win - get in touch by sending an email to [email protected]

Please also include:

1. You (or your friend’s) name
  2. The languages that you (or they) speak
  3. The best way for us to get in contact

As part of the judgment process, students will be required to have informal and fun conversations - via Skype - with Babbel team members who also speak their languages. So a conversational proficiency in each language is a must!

Good luck, and tack / merci / danke / grazie.

For more info, visit https://uk.babbel.com/uk-multilingual-student
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 4 weeks ago
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Babbel, with a little help from us 😊 are looking to find the country’s most multilingual student. They’re searching for the student in the UK who speaks the largest number of languages (to conversational level or beyond) and offering a prize of an all-expenses-paid trip to their home city of Berlin!

If you think that you might qualify - or know someone who deserves to win - get in touch by sending an email to [email protected]

Please also include:

1. You (or your friend’s) name
  2. The languages that you (or they) speak
  3. The best way for us to get in contact

As part of the judgment process, students will be required to have informal and fun conversations - via Skype - with Babbel team members who also speak their languages. So a conversational proficiency in each language is a must!

Good luck, and tack / merci / danke / grazie.

For more info, visit https://uk.babbel.com/uk-multilingual-student
This sounds quite fun - I can't converse on calls in any language, but I like hearing about other language learners :lol:
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How many languages is the minimum?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
How many languages is the minimum?
I doubt there's a specific minimum, since the winner will just be whoever speaks the most - the deadline is March 31st though so you could definitely learn a few more languages to conversational level in that time to give you an edge
hootdoot04
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Interea)
I doubt there's a specific minimum, since the winner will just be whoever speaks the most - the deadline is March 31st though so you could definitely learn a few more languages to conversational level in that time to give you an edge
😉 quality over quantity
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hootdoot04)
😉 quality over quantity
I have a few semi-abandoned languages that probably wish I would follow that mantra :lol:
username11235813
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I speak 5 fluently, but that's probably not enough?
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by username11235813)
I speak 5 fluently, but that's probably not enough?
Depends how many give it a go and what they're counting as "conversational" enough - you'd potentially get shortlisted for the fluency testing even if someone claimed to speak more. For example I have 1 fluent, 3 pretty solid, and then 3/4 that are borderline conversational, so who knows if they would define that as 4 or more.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Count me in
Tell me who do I email?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm a native speaker of 4 and am fluent in another 3 (all of which I have a degree in). Yet, I definitely don't think that would be enough for this. :lol: Best of luck to those who sign up. I wonder how many languages the winner will have under their belt. :holmes:
lrs_b
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm a native speaker of 4 and am fluent in another 3 (all of which I have a degree in). Yet, I definitely don't think that would be enough for this. :lol: Best of luck to those who sign up. I wonder how many languages the winner will have under their belt. :holmes:
Wow! What are the languages out of curiosity?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Count me in
Tell me who do I email?
Lol what languages do you speak!?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can I participate? I speak roadman, brummie, black country, potteries, scouse, cockney, lester, geordie, scottish embra and glaswegian, I know some patois and some aussie... So rah let me in poshies!
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lrs_b)
Wow! What are the languages out of curiosity?
The languages I did my undergraduate degree in were French, Spanish and Japanese. :hat2:

I had studied French since Primary 6 and Spanish since the Scottish equivalent of GCSE.
lrs_b
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The languages I did my undergraduate degree in were French, Spanish and Japanese. :hat2:

I had studied French since Primary 6 and Spanish since the Scottish equivalent of GCSE.
Oh cool, I'm doing my Advanced Higher French at the minute. I am impressed by all people that know more than 2 fluently, if I was studying/practicing more than I have now I think I would be mixing everything up in my head!
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lrs_b)
Oh cool, I'm doing my Advanced Higher French at the minute. I am impressed by all people that know more than 2 fluently, if I was studying/practicing more than I have now I think I would be mixing everything up in my head!
It's always so refreshing to find people on TSR taking an interest in my languages, because it never happens in real life. :lol: In any case, AH French is a really fun subject; I hope it's going well for you. Consider keeping up with French or beginning a different language once you finish school, either independently or through further education. Languages sincerely are rewarding and I don't know anyone who's ever regretted learning one. :hat2:
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Lol what languages do you speak!?
French
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
French
That's not nearly enough but congrats on the French. I tried it a couple years ago but didn't have time anymore. 😔
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

why
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
jeez lolll
thats amazing

I would have applied but im 17 and idt they'd let me
I speak 2 fluently+english+ know some basic French and basic german
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (66)
17.55%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.72%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (142)
37.77%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed