John Wick11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Son is being interviewed for Oxford phd on his birthday next week

ecolier
xsowmix
Good luck!

And don’t forget to have him write you a Oxford Demystified chapter for post grads
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by John Wick11)
Good luck!

And don’t forget to have him write you a Oxford Demystified chapter for post grads
Oh, I didn't think of that... He is so busy, I am rarely able to speak to him at all nowadays.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Coming up tonight or tomorrow...

Oxford Demystified - guide to reapplying successfully thread

This thread will be started up by my friend irl Dobbo, who got in on his fifth attempt!

After that, I will be calling all the Oxford students who got in the second time round, and ask them to give as many comments and tips as possible.

I hope it is going to help many TSRians.
And here it is, what many of you have been waiting for... the Oxford Demystified - Making a Successful Reapplication thread!

I have tagged in all 13 successful reapplicants, to see if they can tell us their secrets, too! Added to the whole book

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post93381234

Dobbo's comments are tip top quality, as we have come to expect of him

9dobbo1
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
This new chapter of Oxford Demystified has now been added to the whole book.
9dobbo1
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys,

If you're interested in reading Theology do have a look at my Oxford demystified thread on the subject here.

I know there aren't many of you but it's about time there was more content on this topic here
Nataliee_cotts
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Coming up tonight or tomorrow...

Oxford Demystified - guide to reapplying successfully thread

This thread will be started up by my friend irl Dobbo, who got in on his fifth attempt!

After that, I will be calling all the Oxford students who got in the second time round, and ask them to give as many comments and tips as possible.

I hope it is going to help many TSRians.
Hi Oxford Mum this sounds amazing and really inspiring. Can you send a link when done? Thank you for all your help
John Wick11
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nataliee_cotts)
Hi Oxford Mum this sounds amazing and really inspiring. Can you send a link when done? Thank you for all your help
It’s linked up above
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi Nataliee_cotts

Sorry, I have only just put the finishing touches to the "making a successful reapplication" thread. I have taken all the gold dust and handy hints from each Oxford Demystified chapter and added it to this one thread. Also there are stats to show the resources each of the chapter writers have used.
Hopefully it will give you some ideas.

This thread will be, I hope, just as useful for first time applicants as it is for reapplicants.

Enjoy!

Added to the whole book, and thanks again 9dobbo1 for all the sterling work you did for this thread. It will surely cement your reputation as one of the most popular contributors on TSR.

John Wick11
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 9dobbo1)
Hi guys,

If you're interested in reading Theology do have a look at my Oxford demystified thread on the subject here.

I know there aren't many of you but it's about time there was more content on this topic here
Will make comments (all of them positive) on the end of your chapter, before I add it to the whole book.
Nataliee_cotts
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hi Nataliee_cotts

Sorry, I have only just put the finishing touches to the "making a successful reapplication" thread. I have taken all the gold dust and handy hints from each Oxford Demystified chapter and added it to this one thread. Also there are stats to show the resources each of the chapter writers have used.
Hopefully it will give you some ideas.

This thread will be, I hope, just as useful for first time applicants as it is for reapplicants.

Enjoy!

Added to the whole book, and thanks again 9dobbo1 for all the sterling work you did for this thread. It will surely cement your reputation as one of the most popular contributors on TSR.

John Wick11
Thank you so much Oxford Mum you are an amazing person!!!!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Thank you so much Oxford Mum you are an amazing person!!!!
I wish I had thought of making up this thread BEFORE the interviews.

Still at least we all have this resource for 2022. I am, as ever, committed to getting as many TSRians into Oxford as possible.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Here, at last, is 9dobbo1's chapter on Theology and Religion (with my notes)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post93383212

Added to the whole book
joshmogs17
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I wish I had thought of making up this thread BEFORE the interviews.

Still at least we all have this resource for 2022. I am, as ever, committed to getting as many TSRians into Oxford as possible.
Hehe, perhaps in the future someone can compile the TSRrians success rate vs. those who don't use TSR
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by joshmogs17)
Hehe, perhaps in the future someone can compile the TSRrians success rate vs. those who don't use TSR
We wouldn't know who does not use TSR. According to the blurb on the adverts, 75% of UK students use TSR (not counting others from all over the world). That's a lot, so we are all reaching a big audience. The vast majority are lurkers, who are too shy or too busy to post. So by posting on this thread, giving advice, we are helping more people than we think! I know, because I was a lurker for 6 years on TSR. I only signed up when Oxford Demystified came out, in 2018. I didn't think I would be popular, as I am not a student. Happily, you have been kind and all of you have accepted me.

Out of curiosity, when I was last in Oxford, I asked my son's colleagues how many of them had used TSR to get in. The answer was, all of them and they unanimously agreed TSR was great! Unfortunately when they get in, they tend to leave this forum. Most of them are busy, and that's why they leave, but it's a bit of a wrench to say goodbye when they leave.
Parjay
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Here, at last, is 9dobbo1's chapter on Theology and Religion (with my notes)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post93383212

Added to the whole book
This is brilliant Oxford mum ...do you have a chapter on history in Oxford demystified? Can you please send a link for it? Thanks.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Here is the latest shiny new chapter of Oxford Demystified - Classical Archeology and Ancient History!!!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post93415406

I absolutely loved reading this!

olivia.b02

Added to the whole book
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Parjay)
This is brilliant Oxford mum ...do you have a chapter on history in Oxford demystified? Can you please send a link for it? Thanks.
One history chapter of Oxford Demystified - coming right up!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...%20demystified
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by neurosurgically)
Silly question (and not that important) but it's Cambridge day today and Oxford offers last week- has anyone noticed the drop in private school offers? I know this is such an ultra-first-world problem, but I moved to a private school on a 100% bursary (and quite a big name at that) for sixth form and I'm starting to massively regret it. I know university applications are very much a meritocracy, and offers don't go to just anybody (I'm in no way demeaning the rightful offer-holders) but I just want to ask if anybody else has thought about this?
I have chatted to you about this before. The key phrase you need to retain is your very own wording - Rightful offer holders! And yes, you are demeaning them I am afraid. Because they come from state school, why shouldn't they be there? Why shouldn't admissions be a meritocracy, like job hunting etc. You would only hire the best, wouldn't you? Well it's the same with Oxford.

State school pupils have worked just as hard - and against the odds- as those from private school. Yet they are just as good as them.

State school students are not stealing places away from private school pupils just to fill quotas. Everyone, no matter what their school background - has earned their place. It's a sad fact that private school pupils are still disproportionately getting Oxbridge places. What is happening here recently is not so much private school people being deprived of places, so much as excellent schemes, such as you will find at Oxford and Cambridge, and fantastic free mentoring schemes such as Zero Gravity, helping state school students to realise their potential. Only a handful of years ago, such people would not have dreamed of raising their eyes towards Oxbridge, when they could have got in all along.

The interviewers are looking for those with natural intelligence, and if they interview you, my goodness they know how to root it out. They are kind of like academic Simon Cowells. Natural intelligence can occur anywhere, not just in people who get the best educational start in life.

My own sons got into private school with scholarships and bursaries. I was working for minimum wage in a petrol station at the time.

I can remember my younger son looking on in awe at the prep school pupils and saying to me "I'll never be as good as them". I said to him that after a short while, as long as he worked hard, he could be as polished as them. Only one person got into Oxford in his year. That person was my son.

The Oxbridge teacher was rubbish, and I had to do all the research myself. The boys spent ages hunched over their books and computers, studying independently and not following any spoon fed suggestions etc. The results of my own research you will find in the main chapters of Oxford Demystified, for anyone who wants to read it.

That mystical selection process, so scary and unfathomable to my 18 year old self, is now becoming more and more accessible and this is the way of the future. I have now devoted my life to make the Oxbridge selection process as level a playing field as I possibly can and I will carry on doing so, hopefully as long as I live.
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
I have chatted to you about this before. The key phrase you need to retain is your very own wording - Rightful offer holders! And yes, you are demeaning them I am afraid. Because they come from state school, why shouldn't they be there? Why shouldn't admissions be a meritocracy, like job hunting etc. You would only hire the best, wouldn't you? Well it's the same with Oxford.

State school pupils have worked just as hard - and against the odds- as those from private school. Yet they are just as good as them.

State school students are not stealing places away from private school pupils just to fill quotas. Everyone, no matter what their school background - has earned their place. It's a sad fact that private school pupils are still disproportionately getting Oxbridge places. What is happening here recently is not so much private school people being deprived of places, so much as excellent schemes, such as you will find at Oxford and Cambridge, and fantastic free mentoring schemes such as Zero Gravity, helping state school students to realise their potential. Only a handful of years ago, such people would not have dreamed of raising their eyes towards Oxbridge, when they could have got in all along.

The interviewers are looking for those with natural intelligence, and if they interview you, my goodness they know how to root it out. They are kind of like academic Simon Cowells. Natural intelligence can occur anywhere, not just in people who get the best educational start in life.

My own sons got into private school with scholarships and bursaries. I was working for minimum wage in a petrol station at the time.

I can remember my younger son looking on in awe at the prep school pupils and saying to me "I'll never be as good as them". I said to him that after a short while, as long as he worked hard, he could be as polished as them. Only one person got into Oxford in his year. That person was my son.

The Oxbridge teacher was rubbish, and I had to do all the research myself. The boys spent ages hunched over their books and computers, studying independently and not following any spoon fed suggestions etc. The results of my own research you will find in the main chapters of Oxford Demystified, for anyone who wants to read it.

That mystical selection process, so scary and unfathomable to my 18 year old self, is now becoming more and more accessible and this is the way of the future. I have now devoted my life to make the Oxbridge selection process as level a playing field as I possibly can and I will carry on doing so, hopefully as long as I live.
I’d love to follow in your footsteps by trying to level the playing field, OM. Only a few years ago, I truly believed Oxford was only for private school students, or for students that had had a ‘special upbringing’, in which their parents had been prepping them for Oxford their whole lives. As soon as I get to Oxford I’d absolutely love to join the outreach team and try to inspire others to apply. I’m also going to ask to help with the Oxbridge sessions for the 2022 applicants at my sixth form during my gap year.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Culver)
I’d love to follow in your footsteps by trying to level the playing field, OM. Only a few years ago, I truly believed Oxford was only for private school students, or for students that had had a ‘special upbringing’, in which their parents had been prepping them for Oxford their whole lives. As soon as I get to Oxford I’d absolutely love to join the outreach team and try to inspire others to apply. I’m also going to ask to help with the Oxbridge sessions for the 2022 applicants at my sixth form during my gap year.
Ah, I believe you were going to write a French Oxford Demystified chapter - that will be a great start, when you have the time!

There are always jobs for outreach workers, and they do a brilliant job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (102)
34.69%
Yes - a trusted person (83)
28.23%
No (78)
26.53%
I'm not sure (31)
10.54%

Watched Threads