D.Y.
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SaintLaurent)
Do you know how many interviews there typically are for PPE?
This was our experience pre-Covid at one of the Colleges, for PPE.
Each morning, they posted the interview schedule at the JCR notice board, listing the names, times, and locations of interviews of the day, for all the students who have interviews. (If additional interviews are needed in the afternoon, these could be posted early in the afternoon.)

On Day 1, there were two sets of interviews each lasting 1 hour. (I think for some students, these 2 sets of interviews could be split into 2 days.) Within each 1-hour interview, there were 3 interview(er)s, each asking questions for 20 mins. (It could be P, P + E, or 2 Politics + 1 Phil, etc.)
Some students were then done, i.e., had no more interviews.

On Day 2, a few students were asked to have another (and 3rd) set of interviews at the same College.
On the same day, i.e., Day 2, some students were asked to go to another College for interviews.

On Day 3, a few (but very few) students were also asked to go to yet another College for interviews.

So the number of interviews for students varied, but things may have changed now.

What we learned was, there was no fixed number of interviews for the candidates. It could vary, depending on your situation.
Having more interviews is not necessarily a bad thing. (We think) it means you are considered (by some College).

I want to add that the in-person experience was very precious. You get to live in and experience the College, eat at the dining hall, go to ice cream together, meet the current students and other applicants, and after you are done with the interviews, you can visit other Colleges. I hope Covid will go away soon so things are back to normal.

It's an experience we won't forget. Thank you Oxford for going through the trouble to arrange for it. We really appreciated it. We got to experience a lot of kindness from the people around us in Oxford.
Last edited by D.Y.; 1 week ago
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by D.Y.)
Each morning, they posted the interview schedule at the JCR notice board, listing the names, times, and locations of interviews of the day, for all the students who have interviews. (If additional interviews are needed in the afternoon, these could be posted early in the afternoon.)

On Day 1, there were two sets of interviews each lasting 1 hour. (I think for some students, these 2 sets of interviews could be split into 2 days.) Within each 1-hour interview, there were 3 interview(er)s, each asking questions for 20 mins. (It could be P, P + E, or 2 Politics + 1 Phil, etc.)
Some students were then done, i.e., had no more interviews--I presume the College had decided to give offers to or reject these students.

On Day 2, a few students were asked to have another (and 3rd) set of interviews at the same College--I presume they wanted to have a closer look at these candidates.
On the same day, i.e., Day 2, some students were asked to go to another College for interviews.

On Day 3, a few (but very few) students were also asked to go to yet another College for interviews.

So the number of interviews for students varied, but things may have changed now.

What we learned was, there was no fixed number of interviews for the candidates. It could vary, depending on your situation.
Having more interviews is not necessarily a bad thing. (We think) it means you are still being considered (by some College).

I want to add that the in-person experience was very precious. You get to live in and experience the College, eat at the dining hall, go to ice cream together, meet the current students and other applicants, and after you are done with the interviews, you can visit other Colleges. I hope Covid will go away soon so things are back to normal. Thank you Oxford.

It's an experience we won't forget. Thank you Oxford for going through the trouble to arrange for it. We really appreciated it.
Just to add that some interviews are just for moderation purposes and different subjects do different numbers of interview so it really is no indication of strength of candidate.
Similarly being reallocated is no reflection on your abilities. Some well known colleges like Balliol are very popular while some others like St Anne's are less commonly known hence attract less applicants.
hannahjaayy
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
anyone heard anything about history?
From the spreadsheet from last year, they will probably start going out today (26th) and until the 30th - I believe. The 30th is the latest they can issue interviews, since the interviews begin week later on the 7th of December. So basically, the next 4 days should be when they're coming out for us Historians Best of luck.
jassowal
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
According to Mansfield college, the shortlisting of following subjects is complete( at Mansfield):
See here: https://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/information-applicants

This section will be updated once shortlisting decisions have been communicated to applicants.

Law - 24 Nov
PPE - 24 Nov
Engineering - 25 Nov
Oriental Studies - 25 Nov
Average John
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by deathray65)
I submitted the form for my college in response to the interview email yesterday but I still haven't received a calendar invite. Is this normal?
should be normal. not sure which college you're in but mine told me to only contact them if I have not received the invite by 1st December which is still quite a long time away
Last edited by Average John; 1 week ago
eve_bb
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I’m panicking about law at St. Catherine’s - they’ve started sending out interviews for other subjects but not law! Has anyone else heard anything?!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Pichi)
It was thanks to you that I got an amazing mentor at Oxford through Zero Gravity who was really helpful and is helping me with interviews. Thanks a lot, OM
Prsom and the very best of luck for your interview
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BrainDrain)
They want to see the real you, and see in you someone who is enthusiastic and receptive, and hopefully can get along with in face to face sessions a couple of times a week for the next three years.
Your grades are good enough as are the other two applicants up for the place, but it's the overall picture they are looking at now.
This is from a staff member from the other place but I think will apply to Oxford..."If you are invited to interview it is important to remember that this isn't being looked at in isolation/the only thing we're now looking at and ignoring the rest of your application, nor is it any kind of last hoop to jump through. The interview just adds further information to your overall application, and this information will be considered alongside all other parts of your application such as info from UCAS, SAQ, any admissions assessments or written work where asked for, and any other info we have. Neither the interview or the other parts of an application have any particular weighting either. Being invited to interview means that your application remains under consideration for a place."

So my advice would be a good nights sleep, shower and all fresh clean clothes, looking good and feeling good get you off to a great start, the majority feel they did poorly in the interview, but I guess the other two did also as many still get the offer... just do your best and good luck.
What great advice. I would also add for the students don’t panic about the grandeur of the situation and focus on the questions. They are interested in the way your mind works and how you get to your answer even if it is wrong. Nobody is expected to know the answer so give it your best guess using the evidence you are given and go through your thought process out loud
_Kestrel_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ARNoor)
Guys, there's this question I've been meaning to ask, but its kind of difficult. The excel sheet show way too many interview offers for it to be an accurate representation. Is it because those who get rejected are less likely to report or that there are more interviews than rejections for the courses for which invites have been issued (PPE, Law, Chem, Bio etc.)? - unlikely considering how oversubscribed oxford is.
I think there are 2 factors at play. One being that rejections are less likely to be reported and two, the student room is not a representative sample of everyone applying to Oxford for these courses. Let's be honest, if you take the time to be a part of a forum dedicated to grades and studying, you probably have put more effort into those things and are more aware of the process, giving you a better chance of getting in. I'm not trying to say students who use TSR are 'better' or anything like that, it just makes sense that we might have a slightly higher proportion of interviews given our very use of TSR suggests we take studies seriously, compared to a random sample of Oxford applicants who are non TSR. I can't prove this with facts or data, just an assumption.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by D.Y.)

Some students were then done, i.e., had no more interviews.

On Day 2, a few students were asked to have another (and 3rd) set of interviews at the same College.

Having more interviews is not necessarily a bad thing. (We think) it means you are considered (by some College).

I want to add that the in-person experience was very precious. You get to live in and experience the College, eat at the dining hall, go to ice cream together, meet the current students and other applicants, and after you are done with the interviews, you can visit other Colleges. I hope Covid will go away soon so things are back to normal.

It's an experience we won't forget. Thank you Oxford for going through the trouble to arrange for it. We really appreciated it. We got to experience a lot of kindness from the people around us in Oxford.
Top post
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ARNoor)
Guys, there's this question I've been meaning to ask, but its kind of difficult. The excel sheet show way too many interview offers for it to be an accurate representation. Is it because those who get rejected are less likely to report or that there are more interviews than rejections for the courses for which invites have been issued (PPE, Law, Chem, Bio etc.)? - unlikely considering how oversubscribed oxford is.
You are absolutely correct.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Name:  FDE0BB98-B6DC-4AA7-8575-E6760A5665B2.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  174.3 KB

Swish swish, swishety swish.. here is a photo of pink woshette wishing you all luck. She has just finished with her magic wand.
Riversidecymru
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Crafty Mum)
We didn’t have a clue either Riversidecymru, and had the added difficulty of not being able to actually go and visit any of the uni’s last year.
Glad to hear your son got an in-person interview at Lancaster. It would be worth your son asking his physics (or head of science) and maths teachers to do mock interviews with him, which is what my daughter did. He needs to take the initiative here and ask. Alternatively, try speaking to St Catz Admissions (Stefan is very helpful) and ask if they have contacts with any other schools near you who could help with this. St Catz are one of the colleges, along with Jesus and one other, who are trying to encourage more Oxford applications from Welsh students. I’m making an assumption here based on your username, so apologies if this isn’t the case. At worst, get your son to talk through something to anyone who will listen and maybe ask him questions. You don’t have to be knowledgeable in physics, and it would enable him to practice thinking and explaining things out loud. My daughter use to do some tutoring with younger students, which was another good way of practising explaining things out loud.
The tutors want to know how you think. Daughter admitted to tutor that she had forgotten a certain equation during her 2nd interview, and then had the tutor shaking his head all the way through the interview. She didn’t let that put her off, and still managed to come to a conclusion to the problem they gave her.

Three interviews is standard for MPhys, so she applied to Hertford and had 2 interviews with them. You then get a second college randomly allocated to you for your third interview, which was notified to her at a later date, and for her was St John’s. She must have been regarded as a strong applicant from all the information they had (PAT, interviews, GCSE’s, PS etc) so got pooled, which means when Hertford had filled all their places St John’s then had first refusal to make her an offer. If this isn’t possible either, strong applicants get put into the winter pool where the Physics Department as a whole look at all the information and decide who they can or can’t offer a place to. For my daughter, this meant she was reallocated to St Catz even though their tutors didn’t interview her. She didn’t find out she had been reallocated to Catz until offers came out in January and we looked up the college code.

I just double checked the admissions page on the main Oxford University website, and Physics (and some other subjects) are still on tier 3 for interview technology requirements, so they will be using the Miro whiteboard again this year. The tutors will download information onto it, and can then see candidates workings whilst they verbally explain their thoughts at the same time.
I am so full of admiration to what all these young people have already achieved in simply applying to Oxford, and then to undergo the interviews and all that entails.

Well done to those who have been shortlisted already. Commiserations to those who have been, or who are subsequently redirected, and wishing you great success with your alternative plans.
For those STILL waiting, hang on in there and prepare as best you can in hope of getting an interview invite. Good luck!
Thankyou so much that’s all been super useful info
You’re right we are in north wales , we didn’t realise st catz encouraged a contingent of welsh students but it makes sense. One of my young staff members applied to Jesus last year & started geog this sept in st catz. This was the reason we put it down as she loves it there & Jesus May have been too welsh for my son even though we live in the welshest part of wales!
I’ve had a look on the st catz website & a good read of the tier 3 interview tech requirements so Thankyou so much for flagging that.
I will encourage him to hound his head of 6th form who is also the head of Chem for some help in all this. My sis is also a uni lecturer in Durham in education obviously no physics knowledge but she leads all her interviews so she knows how the process works & she’s offered a mock interview . I guess now it’s a waiting game. You’re right I have so much admiration for all these guys. In our day it was sooo different. They’ve all done amazingly!
I hope your daughter is enjoying I bet you can’t wait to have her home
Anonymous #70
Report 1 week ago
if some offers for interviews for your course have come out from your college does this mean i am rejected? not received a rejection email yet so v confused...
Anonymous #125
Report 1 week ago
Any news from Trinity college for Law?
diana_p1
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
if some offers for interviews for your course have come out from your college does this mean i am rejected? not received a rejection email yet so v confused...
You'll receive an email either way. Keep in mind it takes a bit of time for a college to send out emails to all of their applicants.
annaperenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jassowal)
According to Mansfield college, the shortlisting of following subjects is complete( at Mansfield):
See here: https://www.mansfield.ox.ac.uk/information-applicants

This section will be updated once shortlisting decisions have been communicated to applicants.

Law - 24 Nov
PPE - 24 Nov
Engineering - 25 Nov
Oriental Studies - 25 Nov
do you know if magdalen has a similar page?
WutheringHxights
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Good morning all and happy Friday

I've just received a rejection from Jesus College for History & English which you will see on the spreadsheet.

I was expecting this outcome but am nonetheless proud of myself for giving it a go. I've received a fantastic offer from Royal Holloway which admittedly I am more drawn to as the modules look fantastic and more to my liking than those offered at Oxford.

I truly believe the Oxford path simply wasn't meant to be for myself and am looking forward to pursuing this joint honours elsewhere!

A massive good luck to all of you awaiting a response for your application. Please try to refrain from feeling upset if you receive a rejection, it does not mean you are not good enough... it just means life has a different plan for you x
NatkingcolesTSR
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
The average MAT score just came out at 51.1%

Rip
spanishenglish
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by WutheringHxights)
Good morning all and happy Friday

I've just received a rejection from Jesus College for History & English which you will see on the spreadsheet.

I was expecting this outcome but am nonetheless proud of myself for giving it a go. I've received a fantastic offer from Royal Holloway which admittedly I am more drawn to as the modules look fantastic and more to my liking than those offered at Oxford.

I truly believe the Oxford path simply wasn't meant to be for myself and am looking forward to pursuing this joint honours elsewhere!

A massive good luck to all of you awaiting a response for your application. Please try to refrain from feeling upset if you receive a rejection, it does not mean you are not good enough... it just means life has a different plan for you x
Thank you for feeling that you can share this, and I hope you have an amazing time at Royal Holloway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads