vr123
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
You could apply to either, although law in itself is competitive and having the grades is only the first rung on the ladder.
Oh ok thank you, also I read some where that igcses are used predominantly in the pre interview process, However in my cas I already have my post 16 results. Is this true or would you say the igcses are used in making the final decision post interview as well?
Last edited by vr123; 3 months ago
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Everything will be taken into account I would imagine. I am no admissions expert so am probably the wrong person to ask. I just do the encouragement stuff.
Nataliee_cotts
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ArseneWenger821)
are there any other reapplicants here?
Yeah!! Im going to reapply for engineering. I feel a lot more confident this round as I’ve had more practice with the admissions test!!
BrightBlueMagic
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username5484190)
can I ask which college you applied for?
University College!
cakt-us
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lucihc)
Hi! I’m also an English applicant, you’re the first other one I’ve seen since I first posted to this thread so that’s nice to see! What period(s) of literature is your favourite to study?
Hi! We are few and far between. I've actually since changed my mind and decided to go for Cambridge, mostly because I'm primarily interested in 19th and 20th century literature and Cambridge offers more courses pertaining to that. I also like the idea of studying an American Literature module, which wouldn't be possible at Oxford unfortunately. I might consider it for postgrad though.
sofiavxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oxford Mum do you know how many 9's a typical offer holder has at Oxford/ Cambridge law? I have 8× 9s and 4 × 8s and am trying to figure out whether I have a decent chance of getting in?
any_student_134
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oxford Mum on a similar note, I am applying to PPE and have very unimprssive IGCSEs, 999877BBB. Do you think its worth a shot? Any advice to stand out?
DeBeauvoir2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sofiavxx)
Oxford Mum do you know how many 9's a typical offer holder has at Oxford/ Cambridge law? I have 8× 9s and 4 × 8s and am trying to figure out whether I have a decent chance of getting in?
I don’t know the stats but there is no differentiation between 8s and 9s, so you are fine for that. (Though this doesn’t necessarily give you a decent chance of getting in - but they will definitely not hinder you)
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by any_student_134)
Oxford Mum on a similar note, I am applying to PPE and have very unimprssive IGCSEs, 999877BBB. Do you think its worth a shot? Any advice to stand out?
This is one of the most difficult courses to get into Oxford for and is massively oversubscribed. Many, many applicants will end up disappointed and yes, the majority of successful candidates will have impressive GCSE grades - and this is just the start. You will also have to ace the TSA test and the interview.

Please see below the PPE Oxford Demystified chapter, to see how a current Oxford student got in:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436380
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The average person who applies for Oxford law has 5.2 8/9s. The average successful Oxford law offer holder has an average of 8 x 8/9s. As you have 12 (and 8s and 9s are viewed the same) there is no problem applying to either uni.

Having said that, grades are just the start.
sofiavxx
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
The average person who applies for Oxford law has 5.2 8/9s. The average successful Oxford law offer holder has an average of 8 x 8/9s. As you have 12 (and 8s and 9s are viewed the same) there is no problem applying to either uni.

Having said that, grades are just the start.
thank you so much, my school has filled me with some doubt about my ability to apply so thats slightly reassuring, hope you have a great day and thanks for your advice <3
Last edited by sofiavxx; 3 months ago
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
thank you so much, my school has filled me with some doubt about my ability to apply so thats slightly reassuring, hope you have a great day and thanks for your advice <3
What is the basis of their doubts? Do they usually have candidates going to Oxbridge.
Crafty Mum
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It might be worth you looking at the Faculty’s annual Admissions Report, and see if this helps you.
I was a little confused by the GCSE’s reference at the end though.
MelonCrazy
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
thought that said f maths as in f*ck maths I was about to say yeah!

lmfao ik you probs meant it as further maths x
hahahaha lol

tbf the rate at which these MAT tests are going, I would gladly say f*ck maths lol. But ik they're hard and I need to practise.
sofiavxx
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Scotney)
What is the basis of their doubts? Do they usually have candidates going to Oxbridge.
they usually send 3/4 to Oxbridge every year so it's not completely unreasonable I guess.. I know I'll need to achieve good predicted grades this year and that obviously as the application is viewed holistically get the necessary experience for my PS
Scotney
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
they usually send 3/4 to Oxbridge every year so it's not completely unreasonable I guess.. I know I'll need to achieve good predicted grades this year and that obviously as the application is viewed holistically get the necessary experience for my PS
Have you started prepping for Lnat?
sofiavxx
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Have you started prepping for Lnat?
I'll be applying in 2022 so not yet. I plan to start prep in January.
Last edited by sofiavxx; 3 months ago
Scotney
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'll be applying in 2022 so not yet. I plan starting prep in January.
Sorry I watch both threads so got mixed up!You have achieved great grades so if you want to apply do your super curriculars and apply away.I see no reason for school to be discouraging.Was it only one teacher or did you do way better than expected?
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Crafty Mum)
It might be worth you looking at the Faculty’s annual Admissions Report, and see if this helps you.
I was a little confused by the GCSE’s reference at the end though.
i’m going to write a big post regarding gcses, their contextualisation by oxford, and what this means for applicants tomorrow - i’ve been looking at this info for the past 18 months, and i’ve gauged a pretty good idea. a sneak preview to the post, may or may not be how even if you are way below the usual gcse string by a mile, you can still be successful.

a lot of the stuff people will already know, but i hope it’ll help at least a few oxford newbies
Scotney
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by azby1098)
i’m going to write a big post regarding gcses, their contextualisation by oxford, and what this means for applicants tomorrow - i’ve been looking at this info for the past 18 months, and i’ve gauged a pretty good idea. a sneak preview to the post, may or may not be how even if you are way below the usual gcse string by a mile, you can still be successful.

a lot of the stuff people will already know, but i hope it’ll help at least a few oxford newbies
Sounds interesting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (100)
35.09%
Yes - a trusted person (79)
27.72%
No (75)
26.32%
I'm not sure (31)
10.88%

Watched Threads